zombie

Pattaya wallet snatch

Not only Mr. Joachim is reunited with his wallet but also has free publicity with his face splashed across the news as a connoisseur of Pattaya male companions.

Can't say I'm jealous for all his celebrity.

Would never happened to me - I don't use wallet at all.

Reading the story and seeing the photos first reminds me of my strong dislike as to how the Thai system regularly treats criminal suspects. And I'm surprised they didn't have a photo of the alleged wallet snatcher re-enacting the crime. So much for any presumption of innocence. [i'd note that it occasionally happens in the west too when a shady prosecutor intentionally parades a suspect in front of the press]

The story says the suspect shown in the photo is 25 years old.  Damn, I would have guessed about 40!

whatever his choice in companionship there is nothing worse than having your wallet stolen.

Unless it's having your wallet stolen in your room after having your head bashed in and being left for dead... but I hear you, frequentflier. Alcohol can definitely add to the impairment of judgment, too. 

All for 1600 Baht; it seems that Mr. Peter was not a high roller!

... or on his way back home after a night out. ;)

But yes, that's not an amount worth the trouble of being splashed all over the news. A news report mentioned that he had "important documents" in his wallet, or maybe he just didn't realize he'd make the news.

But yes, that's not an amount worth the trouble of being splashed all over the news. A news report mentioned that he had "important documents" in his wallet, or maybe he just didn't realize he'd make the news.

I wouldn't be surprised if some German tabloid  made sure that his fame is not contained to just Pattaya, 

his choice of companionship was definitely poor but from time to time all of us can tell the same about our poor choices

Sorry for drifting off topic but I'm wondering how many people actually take the time to copy/photograph all the important documents they typically carry in their wallets.....such as drivers licenses, credit cards (including the backside which typically contains the telephone numbers to call in case the cards are lost/stolen), ATM cards (ditto on the backside), medical insurance cards, etc.  Just photograph them and store the photos in a folder on your computer or phone or, I suppose, send the photos to yourself in an email which you can access anywhere.  And, while you're at it, include photos of the critical pages of your passport.

Might not prevent a theft or loss but it'll sure make it easier for you to prove who you are, notify credit card companies and banks, and simply recover from the loss of important documents.

actually I do exactly as you advised Bob, plus carry copy of important pages of my passport in my hand luggage.

Hate wallets as they are bulky and are drawing attention , particularly in poorer countries where people , crooks included,  are of opinion that all Westerners with exception for backpackers possibly are very wealthy 

That's a helpful reminder, Bob, I also keep copies of all important documents and cards such as the ones you've mentioned. Some I still have on paper, everything current I keep in my Dropbox account and can access it from any phone or computer if need be.

I also "tidy up" my wallet every now and then to make sure that I only carry around what I really need. When I'm out and about in the city at night, that's one piece of ID (usually my Thai DL because that's the easiest one to replace), one Thai ATM card (also easy to replace), BTS and MRT passes, my health insurance card so that body snatchers could see I've got insurance, and finally the keycard for my condo. Cash only as needed plus a little extra. That's it. Losing that wallet wouldn't cause me sleepless nights, but nevertheless I'd prefer not to. ;)

Guest abang1961

Just return from Hong Kong's turbulent political scene..

What I do as an additional measure besides keeping a photocopy of everything is that I emailed all the numbers of my card, plus a jpeg of each card. One more thing, take both sides of the card....especially the card centre number and that CVV (3 digit number) ...Should I ever have problem, I can just drop by the nearest internet cafe and get the information at once.

I also "tidy up" my wallet every now and then to make sure that I only carry around what I really need. When I'm out and about in the city at night, that's one piece of ID (usually my Thai DL because that's the easiest one to replace), one Thai ATM card (also easy to replace), BTS and MRT passes, my health insurance card so that body snatchers could see I've got insurance, ;)

I have a laminate copy (folded to credit card size)of the passport page with photo and info, on the back contact details of both Thai and uk contacts, but the most important info and a possible life saver is any meds I might be on and my Health/vacation Insurance details with providers name,policy number and phone number. Like Alexx, the situation which concerns me most is an accident, stroke or the likes and have I have thoughts of the body snatchers whisking me away to the hospital they get biggest kick-back and doctors wasting precious minutes deciding if I can afford to be treated.....the difference in time between brain dead from a stroke etc....

Having all the details they need easily found on my person cuts faffing-around time at the emergency unit. Sometimes minutes can be the difference between full recovery and a life of disability. For me that is the most important info to have on you at all times and I don't think everyone bothers to take in it's importance.