TotallyOz

Courtyard by Marriott in Pattaya

I believe the only thing they are really honoring is profit.

Exactly , no need to blend religion into whole affair,

they are just taking advantage of farangs love  of Christmas season and cold winter on northern hemisphere and cashing in , capitalism at work

Where do you draw the line?

I've actually said that explicitly: "Discrimination should be outlawed where evading it isn't that easy or outright impossible."

If any business owner in a competitive line of business wants to discriminate, that's fine with me. Others won't. I'm very much against policing business decisions, misguided as they might be.

Discrimination is serious issue and by using it in context of compulsory Christmas or New Year dinner we are diluting it's seriousness. 

I see  nothing discriminatory in such a practice, after all everybody . Muslims , Buddists , and atheists will  pay and can  attend that dinner or even pay and skip it leaving more food for those attending. 

I've never seen them at any other time of year

Well a lot of Hotels make them mandatory for Chinese New Year as well.

I was cought by this Scam, a few times and complaimned to reception that I do not celebrtae Chinese New Year.

Was let off the mandatory meal.

I think this Scam, because thats what it is, is more of a try on, and, if you complain they will probably back down.

I stayed at the Marriott 2 years ago for New Years. When I checked in, they told me dinner was mandatory. I said I was going out with friends and didn't want to be forced to pay for something I wasn't going to. They said it was ok, and I wasn't charged.

Guest Promsak

It's a hotel, for crying out loud, not a government agency. If you've got the feeling that they discriminate against you, for whatever reason, simply take your business elsewhere and be done with it.

And make a point that the hotel knows the reason for you going elsewhere or they will neve realise that they are doing something wrong.

And make a point that the hotel knows the reason for you going elsewhere or they will neve realise that they are doing something wrong.

or just pay up, enjoy the food  and treat this as part of ' Christmas in Thailand ' experience,

instead of complaining think about all this money you saved by missing Christmas at home with all those senseless spending on gifts nobody wants not appreciates

Why not the Thai new year as well? Considering all the other new years around the world, they could probably coerce their poor guests into a couple of dinners a month on average.

As for hotels forcing people to attend christmas dinners, well that's totally unacceptable in a society that's supposed to respect freedom of religion (and the freedom to not follow any of them). I rejected religion years ago.

Guest abang1961

I was in Bangkok and Pattaya for Christmas 2 years ago and boy, the place was crowded.

Yes a bit too commercial but the festive atmosphere was just too intense.

I was unable to plan for a Christmas vacation this year as my mother was fading off..it would be unwise to cancel all plans as she was warded and was in a critical condition then.  She went to Heaven 10 days after her discharge in late October.  In fact, Christian may recall that my mom was in the hospital when he visited me two months ago.

So Merry Christmas to those who celebrate... as for me, the prices of flights and accommodation is out of my usual budget at this moment.  However, I can still send you all a BIG HUG and lots of kisses..

Yes, I know this is Pattaya, but it is also a Marriott. What about joiners?

This hotel looks to be conveniently located in South Pattaya---have I read the map correctly?

If you use sawng taeos, the hotel is on their route going in to town (Jomtien => Pattaya) but the outbound buses turn to Jomtien well before the hotel so it is off the route. Probably a minor inconvenience unless you have mobility issues.