jfarmer017

NYE. Bangkok or Pattaya?

Frequent traveler and familiar with the scene. My schedule has hitherto kept me away during the new year but this year will be returning right after the Christmas holiday. I tend to generally stay based in Bangkok with a brief respite in Pattaya but not sure which to choose for New Year's Eve. I am not sure what the entertainment options tend to be at that time of the year but can typically enjoy myself in a wide variety of social settings. Budget is not much of a concern, and my sex life is no need of assistance. 

Guest abang1961

I was thinking of dropping by Bangkok but the prices of flights and accommodation are ...

No, no expletives can describe my immediate reaction when I was informed of the prices..

So, I am staying at home this time ..perhaps the trip is postponed till Feb 2015..the Chinese New Year season...

It looks that Easter is good time to book Christmas time flights i.e. as far in advance as possible. I took my own advice.

As for OP question, I'd settle on Bangkok. Last  time I was there on NYE in 2002,  offed guy from now defunct Aqua Spa,  he dragged me to some bar  / club where his friend was dancing and we had good time, not that remember much due to whisky overdosing.

For me it's Bangkok, as I have a room here (no worries about booked out hotels or rates higher than usual). From negative experience (with other holidays) in the past I will stay in walking distance from my room. Traffic can be horrible.

I have spent NYE in Bangkok and in Pattaya, not much difference. But I'm not a holiday (i.e. holiday celebration) person, I rather avoid the crowds. In Europe (no cute boys), I would stay at home; in Thailand I go out because I might meet my future boyfriend (or at least a fuck buddy).

There are some key steps to keep flight costs under control:

(i) Take a longer holiday so you avoid the really expensive dates

(ii) Book early

The flights I booked in July are about over twice the cost now.

Some years, flying back on New Years day can give a worthwhile saving, but this year isn't one of them, as I'm not due back at work until the 5th.  Flying back on the first would mean too many days wasted at home in the cold.

With mileage upgrades and $2000, I am flying economy to Dallas on American Airlines, business from Dallas to Hong Kong on Cathay Pacific, and back down to economy from Hong Kong to Bangkok, also on Cathay Pacific. I inadvertently made an appointment in Pattaya on the same night as I am arriving. I am loath to make that drive after 27 hours of traveling, but I am also eager to keep my appointment. So that will put me in Pattaya in late December. Now just deciding when to hit the road back to Bangkok.

I travel quite frequently from work and tend to enjoy more elongated visits--usually from one to three months depending on my schedule. January is the only month in which I have never been, due to specific obligations of my work. However, because of a fluke, I will have a couple of weeks free in early January, and I decided to make a truncated road warrior visit before returning in April for a more extended visit.

Jfarmer017....I have done the Dfw-Hkg-Bkk trip 3 times this year. All with business upgrades and the Cathay downgrade.

You say you travel a lot for work , so maybe you have high status with AA? My point is, on all 3 trips, when I arrived at the Wing lounge, they had business class upgrades waiting for me. So keep your fingers crossed, and hope for a full coach section.

Guest ronnie4you

I had dreamed for years of a midnight orgy in Pattaya on NY Eve, but when the reality came, it was much like any other night for me. I think Bangkok might be more fun.

Truth to be told, New Year is pretty much the same all over the world. Countdown, fireworks, dinner, drinking, not necessarily in that order... I'll stay in Bangkok because being able to celebrate with my friends beats going to a place that is "better" for NYE in one way or another. If I lived in Pattaya, I'd probably stay there.

I would love to spend Christmas/New Year in Pattaya and I although I have been coming to Thailand for 24 years now I have never yet managed to get away from family commitments in the UK - hopefully one day I will be ably to.

I'm not big fan of New Year celebration but in fact always I went somewhere to spent it with family or friends. This year I found new way of celebrating NYE - sitting on the plane and going home after manscapade in LOS.

Difference in price of flying out on Dec last as opposite to Jan 1st was roughly equivalent of quite a few long time offs !!! so it was no brainer what to  decide , I must be at work on Jan 2 nd anyways.

But really for me New Year is just a date in calendar with guaranteed day off.