TMax

Just what I don't need

Not too sure exactly where I will start from but may take a wander down to see who is on offer at either Bonny or Bangkok massage tomorrow, tonight will just be a casual stroll and a couple of beers but you never know.

As an afterthought, I see that this thread has deviated greatly from the original post for whatever reason and there have been  other earlier posts regarding tipping habits.

A common occurrence, people love to talk about their pet peeves: tipping in restaurant and tipping boys, drink prices in bar and so on.

I am not except from that, and will not refrain from repeating what I have said many times:

Well, for me , I can't afford 2000-3000 TB tips for short time or even long time, but can help a struggling waiter/waitress with more than a pittance.  As for one trip to the kitchen, well, went not long ago to a 6 course dinner @ 700TB and waiter made about 18 trips to the kitchen, taking orders, picking up plates, making change etc, so deserved more than the 20 TB tips he was receiving from each customer.

One time went to a restaurant with four of us and bin was 3000 TB and tip left was 60 Baht; our waiter took great care of us even pouring our wine.  I was horrified when I realized that tip and did add some more to it but still far from what was deserved. By Thai bf was pissed at me when he heard how the waiter was screwed.

I consider all these activities paid for by the employer and tip little if at all. Usually this issue does not arise as I mainly eat Thai street food where tipping is not customary.

That does not meant the waiter/waitress should not have a decent income, but I think this should be paid by the employer and be included in the price on the menu.

As a side note, I dislike it if someone pours me drinks.

A common occurrence, people love to talk about their pet peeves: tipping in restaurant and tipping boys, drink prices in bar and so on.

As a side note, I dislike it if someone pours me drinks.

Agree although I only drink wine and never from the bottle! Maybe the waiter thinks he is being of service or more likely trying to sell some more wine!

Vinapu nailed it. Not a cheap Charlie reference or a 'you're ruining it for everybody' reference either.

Americans are conditioned to tip wait staff and other nationalities are used to service charges included.

Many of us compromise with a small gratuity, like 20b. But others think it foolish and some think it's cheap.

I know that bars keep a tip, jar which is shared at the end of the night and even 10b. or 20b. tips add up and

and are appreciated if the boys weren't offed or personally tipped that night.

I have seen farangs fondle boys aggressively and not tip but the boys get wise after a while and avoid them.

Of course, these farangs complain but fail to realize that parting with a tiny tip will make the difference.

We refer to the chronically tight farangs as 'sitting on their hands'. They are terrified to touch but looking is free.

I always eat in budget places in Thailand and the total price of the meal I have is rarely more than 200 baht. I always leave a tip of 20 baht which I think is the norm for the the places I use such as Kiss Food and Drink on the corner of Second Road / Soi Diana Inn.

On the rare occasions I go into a GoGo bar if I have a dancer sit with me I always by him a drink at the set price for the Boy drink and if I have a grope but do not pay for the "off" I always tip 100 baht when I leave the place.

I don't see this as being cheap or taking advantage.

It's not my custom to criticize other's tipping habits but if one is sitting with boy and gropes him  I'm of very strong opinion that compensating tip  / 100-300, depending on length of time and activities involved / must be paid because normally we don't grope strangers sitting beside us. If somebody doesn't he is not just  cheap Charlie, it's just plain asshole.

Boys don't have any duty to make themselves available for our dirty hands.

If boy is invited to sit with us deserves tip even if we did not tough him as we may be prevent him from getting more generous customer.

If he is planting beside on his own we are free to ignore him if we wish.

Those sitting on their hands are absolved as long as I'm concerned as long as they can survive constant barrage by mamasans to buy a drink and off the boy as long as they keep their hands of.

They are  not helping anybody's bottom line other than his own but I'd say let them have it. They may be frequent visitors , temporary short of cash or shy newcomers who don't know how to behave in bar.

Tawan recently prevented this kind of behavior by selling admission  tickets at front which can inside be exchanged for a drink - I liked an idea 

On the rare occasions I go into a GoGo bar if I have a dancer sit with me I always by him a drink at the set price for the Boy drink and if I have a grope but do not pay for the "off" I always tip 100 baht when I leave the place.

I don't see this as being cheap or taking advantage.

You are not cheap, 100 baht is fair amount, after all it buys two meals in the street stand. I was told that this is also all bottom in fuck shows were paid by the bar.

But before we grope the boy we need to make sure this is approved practice in the bar. Customs in Nature Boy or Eros are not exactly the same like in Jupiter or BoyzBoyBoyz. No need to embarrass boy and ourselves    

I've seen groups of farangs sit together tightly in Eros on a sofa. They leave no room for a boy to approach and

sit on their hands. They look so uptight and use each other for protection. I've noticed this several times and the

Boys at Eros get the message and leave them to themselves. To each their own but sometimes one just has to

let go, loosen up and have some fun. The tips are small change but some can't let go of even a 20b. note. Sad.

But before we grope the boy we need to make sure this is approved practice in the bar. Customs in Nature Boy or Eros are not exactly the same like in Jupiter or BoyzBoyBoyz. No need to embarrass boy and ourselves

I used the word grope a little stupidly in my post on tipping boys. I would only ever touch a boy in GoGo Bar (or anywhere else) with their consent it would be an assault to do otherwise and totally disrespectful to the boy too.

When I have had a feel it is usually been in Power Boys, Nice Boys or Eros and the boys in question make it obvious they are up for it by putting my hand on a nice big erection.

I've seen groups of farangs sit together tightly in Eros on a sofa. They leave no room for a boy to approach and

sit on their hands. They look so uptight and use each other for protection. I've noticed this several times and the

Boys at Eros get the message and leave them to themselves. To each their own but sometimes one just has to

let go, loosen up and have some fun. The tips are small change but some can't let go of even a 20b. note. Sad.

some people are plain cheap but some simply are frozen by experience completely new for them and don't know how to behave in such a bar. Hope they do some research and loose up next visit.

I recall my first ever visit in now defunct bar on Rama IV, did not have an idea what to expect inside and how to behave, to made matters worse / or better / fuck show participants started their circulation among audience just when I entered. So I felt like  just getting heart attack in heaven's gate.

Thanks God,  mamasan sensed me up and explained goings and procedures. He even suggested which boy to take and where / Suriwong short rooms /. Only thing he did not explain is difference between short and long time so I tipped boy long time rate / 2000 then / for short time and still remember sound he made when got that much not to mention highest wai I ever saw.

Since then I actually kind of like mamasans and don't consider then nuisance like some others.

If I ever see uptight farangs in bar beside me I ask them if that's their first time and at least twice tried to be  helpful  with guidance to repay original debt.