Guest naughtybutnice

Further crackdowns in Pattaya

Guest naughtybutnice

Just received from a journalist friend in Pattaya

Royal Police region 2 has just announced all deck chair vendors on Wong Amart Beach to close down until further notice. This was the reason why all other beaches are being pushed and jammed together.

One selfish act can ruin the nation as they say.....now say goodbye to tourism Pattaya!

According to the news articles I have read, this was a direct result of a lady beach chair vendor on Wong Amat beach chasing off some foreigners who placed their mats on the beach near her chairs. A neighboring chair vendor took a video picture at the time and because he later had a falling out with the lady, he posted the video on You Tube.  The articles note the lady vendor was fined 1,000 baht and that none of the chair vendors on Wong Amat are licensed; thus because of the video negatively impacted on tourism in Thailand, the Authorities kicked all the chair vendors off Wong Amat beach.

I don't want to make any enemies here but if I was beach person which I'M NOT I'd prefer beach without all that furniture and based on recent party discussion about Caribbean vacation in various places I'm not only person who feels like it.

Beach is after all beach, not a living room.

So my guess will be  not everybody is so unhappy with removal chairs from the beach and chances are tourism will not be that affected.

But again I'm both neutral and disinterested in the beach subject.

Guest Prakanong

:yahoo:   That was funny, vinapu, and I agree with you that it won't affect tourism in general.  Tourists will adapt and those who are seasoned beach-goers (and not just loungers) will know what to do and bring.  Besides, the bulk of the tourists who go to Pattaya aren't there for the beach - they go there for the temples.

:yahoo:    the bulk of the tourists who go to Pattaya aren't there for the beach - they go there for the temples.

you are talking to the right person. On Sunday just before Christams last year I asked my night's companion to give me a lift to the church on Sukhumvit which he did. This May we spent afternoon exploring Sanctuary of Truth and is was pretty busy too with visitors.

On serious note I think lots of Bangkok residents as well as foreigners are coming to Pattaya for the beach and sea, after all one doesn't see many Russians ladies of size  strolling along Walking street at night but you can see plenty of them during day everywhere.

Certainly  whoever is coming anywhere for the beach  doesn't not have any competition for space from me

Guest Prakanong

On serious note I think lots of Bangkok residents as well as foreigners are coming to Pattaya for the beach and sea, after all one doesn't see many Russians ladies of size  strolling along Walking street at night but you can see plenty of them during day everywhere.

That may be true but whether they expect beach chairs or stretchers (for the beached whales) at the beach is another matter.  Thai families bring roll-up pandanus mats and their own food for a picnic and foreign beach-goers are happy with a beach towel and a large hat.  As you say, you don't need furniture to sit at the beach.

I'm the other way. I have to have water. I don't like the beaches in Pattaya with all the chairs sitting on top of each other. I like a little room and privacy. I always stay at the Marriott because they have a big pool.

At my apartment in Bangkok, I have a pool right outside my door and spend time there everyday. It's a plus with some of the boys for daytime visits also.

In the US I live in Ft.Lauderdale. I have a pool and beach at the end of my street. When I die, I told my sister, just walk down to the beach and dump my ashes.

Guest ladygaygay

Certainly  whoever is coming anywhere for the beach  doesn't not have any competition for space from me

Nor from me!  I'm not a beach person although I sometimes enjoy a stroll in the evenings.

Guest ladygaygay

I go to the gay beach regularly as I am an expat here. I know the vendors, the masseurs, food vendors by name and some are my friends. Many are from Isaan and are poor. Nobody gives a shit about them especially this uncaring government who has effectively reduced their income by 50%. Might makes right and these poor folks no say in any of this.

Yes that is sad and I wish they would introduce some scheme where the masseurs and food vendors could be relocated or re-trained but fat chance under this or any other Thai government. 

Guest frequentflier

A great many people depend on the beaches to make a living.It is sad indeed to see them lose their jobs.When we visit for our holidays we dont realise that when we go back to our countries that these people have to go to the beaches every day to make a few baht.

I understand that it can be a bit intrusive at times but isnt that what the whole Thai holiday is all about..I hope that the military government will ease off a bit,but they wont..

Guest abang1961

Lying on a deck chair is one of life's simplest pleasure.

Lying on the sand.... is a complete opposite.

As a beach lover,  I think the military had tried too hard to "spruce" up the overall image but at what expense?

So many people depends on the beach for generations but what can they do... another B-B-Q banana seller?

The country cannot progress unless the government takes a concerted effort to upgrade its people..

In Singapore, a small allowance of about THB 1000 daily is paid out if you attend some workshops and seminars.

In Thailand, give them some bahts, teach them some vocational skills, language skills.

That is the way to go.. depriving the beach vendors is "scooping" too low, Mr. Prayut Chan O-cha (cha).

Remember if it aint broken, don't fix it.

Guest Motel69

I don't want to make any enemies here but if I was beach person which I'M NOT I'd prefer beach without all that furniture ....

During my past several trips to Pattaya, I've stayed away from the beach, and all those chairs is the major reason why. There are so many of them that they take away the beach atmosphere. Leave some space for people who just wanna lay down on a towel on the sand. Leave some space for friends who wanna get some games of volleyball, soccer, over-the-line or football going (maybe even set aside some space for these sports).

Thai beaches are nice, but I have more fun on the shores of Southern California, Hawaii, Okinawa and the rest of Japan -- where chair and umbrella venders are few, if any.

With the Hilton and a ll the other plush hotels opening in Pattaya -- as well as with some nice work on the coastal side of Beach Road, Pattaya has gained a real Southern California beachtown charm. It feels great just to be in town. But if the chairs are gone when I arrive in late December, maybe I'll stray from my hotel's pool deck and give the beach another try.

During my past several trips to Pattaya, I've stayed away from the beach, and all those chairs is the major reason why. There are so many of them that they take away the beach atmosphere. Leave some space for people who just wanna lay down on a towel on the sand. Leave some space for friends who wanna get some games of volleyball, soccer, over-the-line or football going (maybe even set aside some space for these sports).

Thai beaches are nice, but I have more fun on the shores of Southern California, Hawaii, Okinawa and the rest of Japan -- where chair and umbrella venders are few, if any.

With the Hilton and a ll the other plush hotels opening in Pattaya -- as well as with some nice work on the coastal side of Beach Road, Pattaya has gained a real Southern California beachtown charm. It feels great just to be in town. But if the chairs are gone when I arrive in late December, maybe I'll stray from my hotel's pool deck and give the beach another try.

You are in the minority. When I first visited the gay beach as a sex tourist many years ago I was delighted it was not like a California beach with no services, chairs, umbrellas, masseurs, boys, etc., that was the allure. You may not be aware but there are two beach volleyball areas at Jomtien that I am aware of, in addition to banana boats, jet skis, paragliding, etc. Try doing that on a California beach (and I am from San Francisco). At Jomtien there are large open areas for families and sun bathers to work on their melanomas.

I'd be part of that minority also. I don't mind the chairs or umbrellas, but I would like some space between them. The umbrellas run together and no sun gets thru. I live in Ft.Lauderdale. Lots of places have chairs, but 4 or 5 feet between you and neighbor .

The cramped quarters are why I opted for the hotel pool.

11 days to go before leaving for Bangkok and Pattaya so I appreciate all the posts on the forum. Thanks to you all.

Now, looking at Google map (!), the beach mentioned on this topic (Wong Amart Beach ) is not close to the gay Jomtiem veach, right? Are chairs and vendors (massage, manicure, food, etc) still on at Jomtien beach?...and theboys too? ;-)