firecat69

Cape Town South Africa

Vinapu I assume you cancelled your next trip to Thailand after reading articles like this?

http://abcnews.go.com/International/wireStory/video-shows-british-family-attacked-thailand-38728151

Of course you did not!!

you got it right, I'm not easily scarred by the press sensations. I guess living across the street from social housing and being survivor of both Romanian 1977 earthquake and Mexico City's 1985 one helps.

Murders by drunks may happen everywhere but Thailand still remains very safe country.

And thus are most countries that attract millions of tourists every year:

Last time I checked drunks had nothing to do with people blown up by a bomb in BKK at a spot I have walked by hundreds of times. Or the same spots where many were murdered by riots.

The point is that you can be killed almost anywhere as a tourist and yet very few tourists are ever killed in countries with stable governments.

Guest travelerjim

Thank you for sharing. Four years ago my Thai bf and I visited Capetown for 9 days.

Really enjoyed our visit and would like to visit again.

I note that KLM each year offer special airfares from NYC and other cities to Capetown via Amsterdam. Less than $900.

Watch for the airfare sales.

Guest FossilGay

On the way to a Safari. Probably no posts for at least a couple of days because I understand the WiFi is weaned intermittent.

Good luck!  I hope you don't get mauled by a tiger.

Guest FossilGay

As far as I know there are no wild tigers in South Africa.

Phew!  Good luck!  I hope you don't get mauled by lions.

That is about it for my posts from South Africa. Might get a few more from some small seacoast towns where we hope to the whales migrating to have their babies. Still have 2 weeks left.

Bottom line if you love to travel, then put South Africa on your to do list. Especially what is known as the Western Cape which includes Cape Town but so much more. You need to rent a car.

Don't listen to any stories about it not being safe , they just plain don't know what they are talking about. The roads are very good and for the most part are respectful drivers.

The more time you spend the better because there is such unbelievable scenery and then of course the Game Drives. For USA citizens like myself the current exchange is very favorable so most things are less then even Thailand and much less then any of Western Europe countries, Australia or New Zealand.

Unfortunately very little action on the Gay Apps. Can't have everything!

Guest anonone

Glad you are having such a good time, firecat.  Your description of the place sounds great...until you get to the very last part.  

Unfortunately very little action on the Gay Apps

Ruled it out for me.  LOL

Enjoy your last couple weeks and keep in touch.

Glad you are having such a good time, firecat.  Your description of the place sounds great...until you get to the very last part.  

Unfortunately very little action on the Gay Apps ]

Ruled it out for me.  LOL

Same for me.  I have seen so much beauty of nature and impressive human works with my own eyes and I know that there is so much more to see,

but my main interest now is in interacting with local people,  especially the slim and smooth ones  :) 

I should qualify my remarks. There are plenty of boys on the apps if you are middle age to younger. I am not. I have seen many hot boys as bartenders and waiters etc. My gaydar tells me they are of our persuasion.

After years of paiying for it especially in Thailand, I don't think they would be interested in me. But then I have taken the easy course of paying for so long I may miss opportunities or not?

Guest ronnie4you

Great pictures, firecat. I am impressed with your desire to travel. Brazil Thailand, Colombia, South Africa are the ones I know about. I wish I could travel more.

Guest ryanasia

How much a day for a budget is advisable to have a good time in South Africa? I am not a backpacker these days so I am asking for a trip like what you seem to have just done?