TotallyOz

President Hillary Clinton?

The problem is not the followers of Bernie who dislike the Clinton,  but those who would vote for such an abomination as the Trump.  Bernie instructed his followers to vote for Clinton.

BTW,  thanks for calling me a stupid YOUNG pie in the sky.

Of course I am young!  Young enough of spirit to realize that Bernie would have had none of the problems the Clinton has now, and he would win in November by a landslide, if not for the special interests in the democrat party. 

In fact you are pie in the sky by virtue of your youth which of course I had no way of knowing and my comment was not made to you but youth in general.  Bottom line is they turned out to rallies and did not turn out to vote which is what they have been doing for a 100 years.

Young people do not vote. There is no dispute about that. They have the worst voter participation of any age group.  

Same here. 16 year olds now allowed to vote in Austria, but can't be bothered to get up on a sunday (elections always on sundays here in order not to disrupt work for majority of people) and cast their vote. After election they bitch about wrong people getting elected.

Young people do not vote. There is no dispute about that. They have the worst voter participation of any age group.  

and then they complain old folks took all spoils for themselves.

It's better if they stay that way, imagine all of the sudden they become more active and influential -  lots of so called entitlements will be going with the smoke

Same here. 16 year olds now allowed to vote in Austria, but can't be bothered to get up on a sunday (elections always on sundays here in order not to disrupt work for majority of people) and cast their vote. After election they bitch about wrong people getting elected.

weren't we the same?

I always believed in going to vote and I did, until very recently, cast my vote in every election I was allowed to to. At present I'm only allowed to vote on the lowest level (i.e. town mayor) in Austria and highest level in Europe (european parliament, which has no real power) I didn't vote at the last election.

european parliament, which has no real power

The EU is run by the unelected & undemocratic commission.  So any country that wants to retain its democracy needs to leave the EU.

They have time to issue regulations about standards for seats in agricultural tractors - but won't touch common safety standards for nuclear power plants. They have fun proscribing how a packet of cigarettes needs to look like (at least 2/3 of surface area warnings and supposedly deterrant pictures) but completely miss solving - or at least attempt to solve - bigger problems like almost bankrupt member states or refugee situation. 

They have time to issue regulations about standards for seats in agricultural tractors - but won't touch common safety standards for nuclear power plants. They have fun proscribing how a packet of cigarettes needs to look like (at least 2/3 of surface area warnings and supposedly deterrant pictures) but completely miss solving - or at least attempt to solve - bigger problems like almost bankrupt member states or refugee situation. 

I don't want to be positioned here as defender of EU  not living there  but reason for the above is probably that one can drive tractor and carry pack of cigarettes from one country to another but nuclear power plant stays where it was built.

Other issues mentioned are more serious as they inflict on sovereignty and it's probably as hard to prevent state willing to go bankrupt from doing so then to prevent adult person wanting to jump from the balcony from taking a dive. It seems you can keep them free or alive but not both. 

So how would you run the EU?

As a democratic free trade zone of independent nations & less like a centralised empire. More like what we joined in 1972.

Every nation should have a clear veto.

I know you follow business and economics.  My second Question to you would be, "where do you think the United States would be today if we were a collection of 50 different independent nations joined by a free trade zone.  I ask this because it is a common belief in non-racist America, (who are the great majority--http://ijr.com/2014/04/133024-10-charts-show-racist-america-really) that our great diversity has made us the economic powerhouse we still are today.  New ideas rarely come from people who all think exactly alike.  For this reason, I cannot agree with Brexit, as it runs counter to what makes sense to me.  All of Europe is stronger today then they were in 1972 and I do not understand why you would let some stupid regulations get in your way to moving forward with what has worked so well.  I am sorry but I strongly think racism in Britain had more to do with this decision then economic or democratic reasons.  People can change democratic institutions, and have been successful for years in doing so.  That makes far more sense to this American then taking your ball and going home because they are letting people you do not like into your country. I feel the need to add that I am not calling you a racist, as I personally doubt strongly that you are, but the majority of voters I saw--and their spokesmen-- seemed far more interested in keeping others out then complaining about regulations.  

The first difference is the US is one country, with mainly one language.  There it is accepted there is a central federal government.

In Europe, no way would it be acceptable to raise taxes centrally, so that places like Greece can be subsidised.

Secondly, the US has a mainly capitalist mentality, which is also a factor in the success of that nation.  Parts of Europe are more left wing & I wouldn't want a common government with them.

Secondly, the US has a mainly capitalist mentality, which is also a factor in the success of that nation.  Parts of Europe are more left wing & I wouldn't want a common government with them.

The first point is very valid, but this quote is hard for me to deal with. Large parts of America are controlled by people who think the only values that count are THEIR Christian values, and right now these people control our house and Senate.  I really do not want to share a government with them either,

If this is part of  what you say is your rational for leaving the EU, what I would say to you is that your understanding of democracy is very different than my understanding of democracy.

To return to the topic here, you can bet these recent bombing are going to help Mr.Trump in a big way.  I would say there is now a greater chance he will get elected. 

I don't believe Trump will win but I am worried voter turnout may give him a chance . His comments about giving the terrorist medical care and a lawyer etc will offend many people on the fence and my hope he will be shown to be the buffoon he is in the first debate.

This BS about people being afraid is just that BS. Since 9/11 the number of people killed pales in comparison to the 3000 who lost their lives on that day and to the 400,00 who lost their lives to gun violence in the last 15 years.

Bob, that menu is great :)

President Hillary may be less of a question now.

"Pussy grabbing" Trump has declared that he will not resign his candidacy, no matter what.

So we will have the pleasure to witness an HISTORICAL month ahead,

and see how his orange feathers will be plucked out one by one.

I think the GOP deserves this.

1.So we will have the pleasure to witness an HISTORICAL month ahead,

2.and see how his orange feathers will be plucked out one by one.

3.I think the GOP deserves this.

while I agree with 1 and 3, point 2 remains to be seen as so far he proven all predictions wrong , unfortunately I haste to say 

while I agree with 1 and 3, point 2 remains to be seen as so far he proven all predictions wrong , unfortunately I haste to say 

You are right.  We can predict, but not be sure about any result.

In one and a half hours, the 2nd debate will start.

I'm prepared to see it, with a nice meal prepared by my friend.

We both have good attitude to stomach the crap that will fly there, and we will take anything with humor.

Please wish you and us and the country good luck!

Please wish you and us and the country good luck!

I do although I doubt this or any debate between those two will change anybody's mind and I suspect that on election Tuesday millions of Americans will wake up still not sure who will be one getting their vote later during the day.

one thing is sure , it will be interesting day for the whole world  

Guest shamahan

Setting aside personalities, unfortunately many supporters of Trump, cannot see forest behind the trees. Trump does not have an economic plan. In fact, he is an empty suite. E.g. Trump said that he will force Apple to produce iphones in America. Imagine what would be the price of iphone. Obviously, he cannot force competitors to do the same. As a result, Apple products will no longer be competitive internationally. But within the country, the only way to make Apple competitive would be to impose huge trade tariffs on foreign products. Extrapolate it to other companies and industries and the result would be much more expensive products for Americans and possible less choice.In the worst case scenario many US companies will go out of business (and Apple created much more jobs in America than scammer Trump ever dreamed of). The truth is that 80 percent disappearing jobs are due to technological progress rather than their export overseas. The very same technological progress produces a lot of new jobs which,, however, require specific education and skills. And many zombies do not have such skills. That is,of course, a serious social issue but Trump's "proposals" do not resolve that.

Another ramification would be the lost of purchasing power of US dollar and hence its value vis-a-vis other currencies. Those who know the history may recall that protectionist measures were the bridge between great depression and second World war. You can analyze pretty much any position of Trump to see that it is nothing but demagoguery.