TotallyOz

President Hillary Clinton?

The Democrat convention was so much more positive than the Republican. I can't believe how much complete bollocks Trump talks and yet so many Americans seem to be lapping it up. His poll numbers keep going up the more utter trash he talks. I have a real fear that unless people wise up we are going to have him as the president of the US. I simply can't imagine a worse scenario for women, gays or ethnic minorities than Trump as president with a Replublican congress and senate.

The Democrat convention was so much more positive than the Republican. I can't believe how much complete bollocks Trump talks and yet so many Americans seem to be lapping it up. His poll numbers keep going up the more utter trash he talks. I have a real fear that unless people wise up we are going to have him as the president of the US. I simply can't imagine a worse scenario for women, gays or ethnic minorities than Trump as president with a Replublican congress and senate.

I also think that the convention had a positive outcome.  I didn't like her very much and my choice was for Sanders. But thanks to the way "Bernie" held on up to the last and then negotiated with Hillary, the Democrat platform reflects much of his one.  Any Sanders supporter with any brains will follow his example and support Clinton.  In her speech she sounded very sincere, and people who watched it will be drawn to her.  But not many people watch these conventions.  However, she has plenty of time to repeat what she said and make the case in favor of so many groups.  Hopefully the debates between the two candidates will bring out even further their differences, and allow her to win by a landslide.  Then, if the Democrats regain the House and the Senate, we will have it made, and if not it won't be worse than it is now.

There are many right wing, conservative republicans among the American expat community. Most of them are also

racists, deeply hating and fearing black people. How they rationalize their own inter- generational, inter-racial homosexuality

with a political party that hates

them and would put them in concentration camps, (if they could), baffles the mind.

Self interest should preclude allying with those that hate everything you are, but I guess in the end, hate and fear

triumph.

These same right wingers hate the idea of a black president as well as a female one but they consider themselves good

Christians.

I've decided to start calling the republican part, the Stupid Party.

I hate Broad Brushes almost as much as I hate ever agreeing with Willie.  And my response has nothing to do with ExPats living in Thailand because frankly I don't know many. It is fact the Republicans do everything they can to restrict gay rights. Not all but most. It is a fact that only Republican Governors attempt to suppress voting in order to deny Blacks and Hispanics the right to vote.

Democrats make plenty of mistakes in the last 40 years but it would be hard to find Democrats who did not support guaranteeing basic civil rights. Likewise it is much harder to find Republicans interested in that. You only have to look at the Supreme Court Justices to understand that Democrats and Republicans are diametrically opposed in the Justices they want on the Court.

Perfect example is the Governor of South Carolina who gets hailed for finally taking down the Confederate Flag. But everyone forgets that just 6 months before the 9 African Americans were murdered in church, she refused to remove that same flag. Old Racism dies very hard .

Her views and the views of many Southerners had not changed one little bit. But they were swept  by the tragedy into doing something.

So yes the Republican Party does look like the Stupid Party.  The Democrats put up a deeply flawed candidate and Republicans  choose one of the few people who Clinton will destroy with the Electoral Map.

Want to see hate? Read your post and look in the mirror.

Denial so strong among the neo-con right wing republicans.

I don't hate you paulsf but don't understand gay men who support a political party that is against them.

Maybe it's self hatred. Too much time spent listening to preachers telling them they were sinners and going to hell,

and a culture that demonized gay men and homosexuality. Still, it bewilders me that gay men can be so stupid.

Of course, nothing personal paulsf, I don't know you or your viewpoints.

I will not have nothing to do with vocal right wingers, racists or stupid expats.

Fortunately, most

Gay American expats are not right wing republicans, but at least 10% are in that camp.

Want to see hate? Read your post and look in the mirror.

It is common to hear that disagreement with hateful policies is hate in itself. But this is just an excuse to justify such policies. 

Religious conservatives seem to gravitate towards discrimination and inequality, maybe because they find support for this in their religion.  What is more discriminating than a religious doctrine separating the "good" from the "bad"?

We homosexuals should not embrace a religion that holds homosexuality as "sin", nor should we support a political party that is against LGTB's rights.   Not because we are smarter, but because we have first hand experience with homosexuality, and we know what the majority of straights don't know.  But beyond that, there are moral values that draws us towards a more progressive society, and we see that conservatism hinders progress.

Politics is often a very hot topic issue. It gets many upset.  I have friends who are Republican and will never be anything else.  They can't see what I see in the Democratic party and I don't see what they see in the Republican Party. 

Like Willie, I do not understand why any gay person would our could support a party that hates them. For me, it is that simple. Their platform is anti-gay.  They may cheer a speaker who is gay but privately, they want to regulate what he says and does.

I find the platform they have put forward as moving American back 50 years. Of course, that is their intent. 

Apologies for going off topic, but in line with the opening posters wishes, I did at least give the Americans a chance to post first.  Before I give a European view.

To me, President Hillary Clinton sounds a lot better than President Trump (or even President Sanders).

Trump does not seem committed to NATO.  To be honest, the line about the US paying for defence, whilst European governments to not is completely correct and if I was an American voter, I would support this argument.   However, whilst European governments are too dumb to spend enough on defence to repel faschist Russia, I would like a US president that remains committed to NATO & a generous defence policy.  

On the subject of defence, I hope European governments wake up quickly.  Remember 1939.   We need to be able to put out fires in our own back yard without relying on the US.

Looking at broader policy, Trump seems utterly clueless and likely to lurch from one disaster to the next.  

Despite my right wing economic tendencies, I could not vote for an idiot like trump.  Also, as I consider religion to be nothing more than a brain malfunction, the pro christian stance of the Republican party has no place in a modern democracy. 

don't understand gay men who support a political party that is against them.

that's  not unusual and not only among gays, it seems human reasoning is  meandering around issues at will.

Years ago we  had local election with one of candidates campaigning openly on a platform of cutting welfare payments  by 40%, he won , as it turned out,  helped by great percentage of social assistance recipients voting for him..

Most  racist public rant I ever heard was by black man from Africa directed at blacks from Caribbean, when I tried to calm him down / he was my co-worker and we were in crowded bus /  he told me because he is black he can say whatever he wants about black people.

With Islam and Catholic church firm stance against  gay rights  there are  members here fasting during Ramadan and attending church every Sunday and so on and on and on

I find the platform they have put forward as moving American back 50 years. Of course, that is their intent. 

that would be mid-sixties, some may find that idea attractive one - it was that time when worker in American car industry needed to work least number of hours to purchase a car he was toiling on.

Of course that will never happen because it is the Republicans who pushed all the money to the Top 1% and have no intention of seeing it return to the masses.

I am constantly amazed at how stupid the Democrats are though in not pointing out the economic revolution in California the last 4 years.  When Jerry Brown took over the disaster that the idiot Movie star had left ( sound familiar) he said he was going to get money from where it was , the Very Rich.

There was all sorts of crying that he would drive the rich to move out of California . Right they'd rather live in Kansas.

The state went from a gigantic deficit to a big surplus . unemployment is one of the lowest in the country and minimum wage was essentially doubled.  Oh and the GDP growth rate is 3x as big as the USA and of course the California economy is bigger then most of the countries in the world.

... Also, as I consider religion to be nothing more than a brain malfunction, the pro christian stance of the Republican party has no place in a modern democracy. 

I like your definition of religion, very technical     ;)

Even more incredible is that there are a group of Republican GAYS,  the Log Cabin ones. 

I am constantly amazed at how stupid the Democrats are though in not pointing out the economic revolution in California the last 4 years.  When Jerry Brown took over the disaster that the idiot Movie star had left ( sound familiar) he said he was going to get money from where it was , the Very Rich.

----

The state went from a gigantic deficit to a big surplus . unemployment is one of the lowest in the country and minimum wage was essentially doubled.  Oh and the GDP growth rate is 3x as big as the USA and of course the California economy is bigger then most of the countries in the world.

I have similar experiences, and I like to point out the transformation in California when I am discussing with a Republican.  But... they brush it off.  It seems that religious conservatives, Republicans, are too superior to be bound by the facts.

I hate Broad Brushes almost as much as I hate ever agreeing with Willie. 

So yes the Republican Party does look like the Stupid Party.  The Democrats put up a deeply flawed candidate and Republicans  choose one of the few people who Clinton will destroy with the Electoral Map.

Actually they have got exactly what they deserve, and they did it to themselves.  Great  NYT Editorial

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/08/01/opinion/how-the-stupid-party-created-donald-trump.html?ref=todayspaper&_r=0

That's quite an excellent NYT editorial: nail-on-the-head-like.

Perhaps, just perhaps, if Trump manages to win the presidency ~ one never knows anything which lasts more than 4 or 5 hours in this sorry excuse for an election ~ the results of his first 4-yr tenure will be so horrendous, so disastrous, so sad, that he will be either, (1) impeached and thrown out on his ear, or (2) defeated so badly in the second 4 years that he will destroy the Republican Party so deeply that a new, much smarter party might well emerge.

However. In this, the most intriguing of elections in many decades, it all comes down to ~ right now at least ~ "nobody knows nuttin'"

Guest ronnie4you

I don't understand why gays or blacks would be Republicans, but I enjoy diversity among my friends, so such support does not bother me. I just don't understand it.

I just had that vision of Hillary Clinton - once president - meeting Queen Elizabeth II. Will I be able to tell which one of the two ladies is older? But of course, I know their age. Just looking at them though? No way.