firecat69

Air Fares

For those of you looking to travel next year air fares have become ridiculously low.

Lots  of $600 fares from East Coast USA.  $500 from West Coast.   Even saw fares in the $400's from certain European cities.  

Been awhile since this low!!

I use Vayama recently but most search engines will have the fares.

It's amazing.

I recently booked a flight from Texas to BKK on next Songkran for $671 with EVA Air, with one stop in TPE.

I also checked for the same dates the flight only to TPE,  and it was about $980... 

$300 more to fly only to TPE instead of all the way to BKK !!!   Isn't this CRAZY?  

Who knows what weird marketing forces lay behind all this fantasy prices...

And no,  I cannot book all the way to BKK and fly only to TPE for $300 less.  They don't allow that :(

I fly from the UK, and have made 16 trips since 2009 and the flights are cheaper now than ever before.

My last couple of direct flights from Heathrow have been around the £500 mark (was about £800 back in 2010)  and these have been with Eva or Thai airways.

I believe that stop over flights with airlines like Emirates are available currently just above the £400 mark.

That said, I try and book many months in advance and play around with my dates on Travel Trolly to get the most advantageous prices. They do vary hugely - even from one day to another. Presumably there is some logic to their pricing but I am blessed if I know what it is? LOL

Try and get a flight last-minute, or over Christmas, and you usually pay through the nose.

Maybe the effect of lower oil prices is finally coming through to prices.

As for lower prices to Thailand v Taiwan, I guess it is just the effect of competition on the thailand route.

That said, I try and book many months in advance and play around with my dates on Travel Trolly to get the most advantageous prices. They do vary hugely - even from one day to another.

Not only.

From my city we have 2 flights a day with Cathay Pacific,  first  past noon and another past midnight, sometimes price difference between those two are in range of 200-300 $ on the same dates ! Guess which one I'm  taking? 

In addition well worth taking in to account and using the airline loyalty programs normally available booking direct or via a third party site but ensure you register before your first reservation and consider that airline favorably with subsequent trips, as any miles normally expire after a couple of years.

In the past with about 20 trips to Thailand in the last 12 or so years years from the UK I have elevated to "Silver Status" with Gulf, Jet and now Eva - historically with Gulf and then Jet this has given me lounge access and a few upgrades,  since using EVA more recently as a longer single leg flight I have always used their Elite (Premium Economy) class their Silver status gives me various advantages including lounge access and the occasional "Special Treat" such as a pre booked up grade in to their "Premium Laurel" business class cabin as with my next trip in March - so very well worth the loyalty if possibly making a few trips!    ,  

If you are leaving from the U.S. for Bangkok and you are traveling between December and April or May, some of the best airline deals for business class are the day after Thanksgiving and that weekend.  I tracked the prices daily of several airlines from the Middle East and China for several months before.  Ended up with Turkish Air out of New York for March, 2017 for $2000 - a one day sale the day after Thanksgiving.  I prefer Emirates or Etihad, but could not resist that price. The year before, Etihad had a sale that was not quite as good on an A380.  Very memorable. 

Up until a few years ago, I used to fly economy, but this delicate body has seen better days and has a difficult time for so many hours and time changes.  I would rather spend the money on the flight, arrive in good condition, and than save on hotels (but not on entertainment!).  I very much like Vinapu's advice on hotels and on leisure time activities!

my loyalty program is -I'm choosing airline with best connection and cheapest price. If they award points, good , if not,  as nowadays  is often a case with tickets  booked with cheapest booking class, they can have it. 

So I collect those miles with quite a few airlines loyalty programs  but give zero consideration to miles potentially earned when choosing my flight, for me it's just by-product.

my loyalty program is -I'm choosing airline with best connection and cheapest price. If they award points, good , if not,  as nowadays  is often a case with tickets  booked with cheapest booking class, they can have it. 

So I collect those miles with quite a few airlines loyalty programs  but give zero consideration to miles potentially earned when choosing my flight, for me it's just by-product.

I am of the same opinion.  In the good days of United Airlines I liked their mile program that, especially with the long flights from the US to Asia, allowed me to get a free airfare every three or so ones I paid for.  But some years ago they changed their plan, and now the miles earned, not based on length of flight anymore but the fare paid, are miserably small.  PLUS they keep increasing the miles necessary to get a free trip.  So I gave up on United and their miles, instead I look at ticket prices, duration of the trip, and service.  Miles may still accumulate, but insufficient for a trip overseas but only for short local commutes.

I can do economy seating on a short haul three hours or less but some here are definitely in to SM flying economy on long haul flights. I could do it 20 years ago but now I have to ask myself why?

I fly EVA (Star Alliance), checkin, boarding, lounge privileges, priority security and immigration (Suvarnabhumi too!) perks are all worth it to me.

I can do economy seating on a short haul three hours or less but some here are definitely in to SM flying economy on long haul flights. I could do it 20 years ago but now I have to ask myself why?

Don't ask your self , just upgrade to premium economy or even business as long as you can afford it and enjoy.

For me it's other way around, 20 years ago even 6-8 hours flight was torture and now 15 hrs to Hongkong is just a breeze.

Jet lags become thing killing me, it's week today since I returned home and still don't feel adjusted 100 %.  

So I guess we all are aging different way, only common thing being none of us is getting younger no matter what class we are flying. 

Guest abang1961

I am a cheapskate.  

I will forgo whatever extras offerd by full-fledged airlines.

I take flights from budget airlines i.e. AirAsia, Tiger Air, Jetstar Asia, Lion Air ..

I just want to pay the cheapest fare (something in the region of SGD 50 to 60 for a flight to Bangkok or Phuket)

Leg room isn't all that important for me for a 2 to 3 hour flight.

Anyway, I fall asleep almost instantly on board, once I secured the safety belt. 

I travel light as check-in luggage fee is hefty on budget airlines.

I  just have a simple backpack with 2 extra pair of shorts, 5 T-shirts, 5 pairs of underwear (plus some kinky swimwear/g-string/pouch) and 5 pairs of socks. If the trip is short, less than 3 days, I will bring a small toiletries bag.  Otherwise, I just buy everything from Big C.  This store sells travel-sized bottles of shampoo , bodywash, mouthwash. tubes of facial foams and toothpaste at ridiculously low prices (from 20 baht upwards).  I just dispose everything that remains at the end of the trip.

Shopping is a must for this gay old man ... I don't have to buy souvenirs for anyone but just sachets of condiments for myself.  I discovered Platinum Shopping Mall some years ago and I always end up with cheap knock-offs of 2xist, CK boxers.  I really buy too many - but 3 for 300 baht, why not?

I fly EVA (Star Alliance), checkin, boarding, lounge privileges, priority security and immigration (Suvarnabhumi too!) perks are all worth it to me.

I must give the impression of being a SM, but I can take long overseas trips sitting in economy, thanks to all the time I spend in the gym. I always choose an isle seat and I walk around frequently, especially in those 13 hour flights. I travel light with one carry on bag and a backpack.  I don't drink red wine in flights anymore but changed to... milk (weird?). Both beverages come sealed.  In the US I have the help of Global Entry now for many years.

I will fly with EVA for the first time in April, and I have joined their frequent flyer program. But since I'm just starting, I guess that all the perks you enjoy are not available to me yet, unless my United membership helps (also a star alliance).  I will inquire, but even if no perks, that's fine too, I can perk myself  :)  

For me there are two factors:

First, who is paying for the flight? If it's a business trip, I fly business class. If I have to pay, I'd rather spend the difference between business and cattle class on something else.

Second, how well do you fit into a cattle class seat? Can you easily find sleep on a plane? Do you have any special needs or health issues? I've seen tall and obese people who hardly fit in, for them it clearly is torture. Others cannot easily sleep or flying cattle class would otherwise be a major hardship for them. For me, on the other hand, none of that applies. I choose a night flight when possible, have my dinner, sleep and I'm already at my destination.

I'm lucky in a way that most carriers offering flights from Europe to South East Asia are member of one of the three Alliances. Just by flying to Thailand business class two to three times per year I manage to stay top tier with one of the Oneworld Airlines and, as it is very easy to maintain once you have it, I'll try to requalify every year for top tier with Aegean Airlines (Star Alliance). The only big player not in any of the alliances is Emirates, but most of the time Royal Jordanian or Qatar (both oneworld) or Turkish / Egypt Air (both Star Alliance) are at same price or cheaper. The new low cost Lufthansa subsidiary Eurowings is too unreliable still, Condor will cease offering flights to Thailand and Norwegian I don't like.

Guest abang1961

I am so sick and bitchy today.

Oh My Goodness..

Finally I found someone much shorter and lighter than me on this forum.

With your "minuscule" body frame, you could fit into any seat..choose aisle seats if you prefer to extend your legs a little.

I'm flying to Bangkok from San Francisco in mid-January.  I'm on United with a $649 round trip price.  I'm in premium economy as a result of Mileage Plus status so there's no add on charge for that or up to two pieces of luggage.  

That stated, I check with google.flight about comparative pricing.  This trip I didn't cancel the price watch and receive periodic updates and have seen the UA price go as high as $1,800, then drop to $1,200, then up again, then down...comparable flights from SF have remained in the $800 range with out much fluctuation.  The United/ANA flight seems to be the quickest.

Makes no sense, other than to plan ahead (when possible) and keeping checking fares.  I set a price that I'm willing to pay and if I see a fare in that range when I want to travel, I take it.  If there are miles for future travel all to the good.  Most miles nowadays seem to come from using my credit card(s).

...plan ahead (when possible) and keeping checking fares.  I set a price that I'm willing to pay and if I see a fare in that range when I want to travel, I take it.  

that's my approach as well

when I have ticket already I don't bother checking price until next trip is in the books.