panther

Discrimination in massage places?

Guest ryanasia

There isn't really discrimination but there is classism. To get around this just simply have enough money for the services you want. I hate to sound so simplistic but that at the end of the day is really all it is about.

Hi vinapu/All,

Thanks for your comments :) I'm actually from the Philippines, and I just look Malay.

And I dunno, in my country we do have that perception that the caucasians are like VIP (when they visit us here).

But yes I will take your words for it, and will give it a go. So many hot stories from this site, lol.

This dispels some anxiety for me and now am more excited , hehehe  :diablo:

I don't know about massage places but i was in Phuket two years ago  with four of my friends from Sg and we went to some of the bars in the Paradise Complex.  While I can't exactly put my finger on it, I did feel as if there was some resentment from the Thai guys working there.  It was if we were encroaching upon their territory or something which couldn't have been further from the truth.  We were there to celebrate the birthday of one in our party and were well-behaved, generous and respectful towards the people we met.  It didn't make sense.

Last poster - might be the perception by many Asians that SG's think they are better than Asians from the surrounding counries. Common comment of my Asian friends. Having just returned from SG yesterday I can see how that perception exists.

Last poster - might be the perception by many Asians that SG's think they are better than Asians from the surrounding counries. Common comment of my Asian friends. Having just returned from SG yesterday I can see how that perception exists.

Interesting.  I myself haven't experienced discrimination, at least none that I have noticed, in any other contexts in Thailand or elsewhere in SE Asia.  If anything, being Singaporean has opened doors for me socially and professionally.  In mainstream places and situations, I feel that I have been treated very well, sometimes more so than I've deserved. Almost everyone I meet wants to come work in Singapore which is frightening! :(   If I were to really overthink it, I'd say the only situation where I might have felt resentment (not discrimination) is at venues where there are working boys looking to hook up with farang customers.  I'm not too sure but I think the boys there find it hard to process and accept our financial independence.  But, as I said, it was a just a feeling I had in a couple of Phuket bars.

Anyway, discriminations are from individuals and it comes in all sizes, ages, races, nationality. So if it happens, pleas dont let that ruin your vacation and also ruined your perception of the whole nation. Just dont let what other people think about what you are affected you as they really have no idea at all what you are made of.

Five stars for this. :good:

Great advice for Spoon. Almost every Black-American I have met in Thailand has complained about racial discrimination against Blacks throughout Asia. They went on to say look beyond it and make the best of your trip. Great positive thinking. As one guy added: "f--k it, their loss, just enjoy yourself".

Interesting.  I myself haven't experienced discrimination, at least none that I have noticed, in any other contexts in Thailand or elsewhere in SE Asia.  If anything, being Singaporean has opened doors for me socially and professionally.  In mainstream places and situations, I feel that I have been treated very well, sometimes more so than I've deserved. Almost everyone I meet wants to come work in Singapore which is frightening! :(   If I were to really overthink it, I'd say the only situation where I might have felt resentment (not discrimination) is at venues where there are working boys looking to hook up with farang customers.  I'm not too sure but I think the boys there find it hard to process and accept our financial independence.  But, as I said, it was a just a feeling I had in a couple of Phuket bars.

Your criterion for judging discrimination may not be too reliable.  I am white, I have never felt discriminated, however one knows quite well how frequently whites discriminate against other races.  And I discriminate Singaporeans, not against but FOR.  They are the Asians I feel most attracted to.  :)

But I would not like to work in SG. Financial independence?  Even if the GDP per capita is one of the highest, the cost of living is too.  And working Singaporeans complain bitterly about their long working hours and little pay.  Where is all the money going?  

i am of Filipino roots but is born and raised in singapore. I am a singapore citizen. I can attest that the mamasan will prejudge us. They will ask for your name followed by "Where are you from"... the moment i say SINGAPORE, the mamasan will then smile and say " ahhhhhhh Singapore".... all boys will then all smile. i tried one time saying i'm from cambodia and i received the fakest smile ever. The boys wont even look at you. So yes racism is there.

And given that certain countries like indonesia/cambodia/Philippines/myanmar usually have their citizens works overseas as construction workers, and other dirty works their own citizen dont want to do, and they brings with them crimes like fighting, murder, theft etc, i can understand the prejudice.

And given that certain countries like indonesia/cambodia/Philippines/myanmar usually have their citizens works overseas as construction workers, and other dirty works their own citizen dont want to do, and they brings with them crimes like fighting, murder, theft etc, i can understand the prejudice.

Come on spoon, your statements are groundless. I know many Filipinos and they are honest and trustworthy. Yes they take difficult jobs overseas to support their Families. But they do not bring with them crimes. Talk about bigots, look in the mirror.

Im not saying they all do that. But that is what shows in the media, and that contribute to local people being prejudice. And im not saying its ok to discrimate others but that is what happen in my country. Heck even local people here get discriminated againsts white when we go shopping in luxury malls.