steveboy

How could United Airlines have screwed up so badly?

That landing and take off are quite amazing! I believe where the camera is positioned is a sheer cliff!

That is an amazing video!  Take off and landing looks as difficult as on a aircraft carrier!

It shows how good airplanes are built that we don't constantly hear of accidents at this place.

There's got to be a few here who recall flying into Hong Kong's old Kai Tak airport before it closed in 1998. A single runway field, it was subject to regular fierce cross winds, requiring pilots to "crab" to maintain alignment until touchdown.

Further complicating matters was the location's typography in a valley with hills all about. A unique approach was devised that required pilots to fly straight toward a huge checkerboard erected on the side of a hill and then execute a sharp right turn that would bring them very close to the field's edge.

This video has excerpts from a documentary of a BAC 747 making what became known  as the Kai Tak checkerboard approach.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3PCOcyt7BPI

Further complicating matters was the location's typography in a valley with hills all about. A unique approach was devised that required pilots to fly straight toward a huge checkerboard erected on the side of a hill and then execute a sharp right turn that would bring them very close to the field's edge.

Interesting video, especially at the end.  It shows a very efficient use of the airspace above the buildings, without wasted height...  in HK any space is premium, haha.

There's got to be a few here who recall flying into Hong Kong's old Kai Tak airport before it closed in 1998. A single runway field, it was subject to regular fierce cross winds, requiring pilots to "crab" to maintain alignment until touchdown.

This video has excerpts from a documentary of a BAC 747 making what became known as the Kai Tak checkerboard approach.

Ah yes, Kai Tak, heart attack as it was known.

Because of that sharp right turn - 47 degrees - ILS could not be used, necessitating a visual final approach. It wasn't considered "dangerous"; major airlines do not fly into dangerous airports. It was, however, considered very tricky and consequently, pilots required a special licence.

There was only one runway, designated 13 and 31 depending on the direction. If you thought landing on runway 13 was scary, it was even scarier taking off on runway 31 as you had a hill in front of you, necessitating a quick left turn. Also, afternoon temperatures meant it was particularly tricky taking off. And as mentioned, crosswinds made things even more difficult, as did the wind coming off the hill.

These days pilots are just basically monitoring computer readouts while the aircraft flies itself. Major passenger airlines insist on ILS landings for the comfort of passengers. The poor pilots do not have much chance to enjoy the art of flying an aircraft anymore.

When you watch readers vdo it really is amazing there was no serious crash at Kai Tak. One time a China Airlines 747 skidded off the end and landed in the sea. Nobody was injured but the plane was a write off.

post-10776-0-77277900-1492885796_thumb.jpeg

I heard that the reason the airport was regarded as dangerous was not so much that tricky landing but the fact that the taxiway was too close to the runway.

Ironically the new airport was not so lucky. This crash also involving a China Airlines aircraft happened only a year after opening. It was trying to land in a mild typhoon and a wing tip hit the runway. The plane ended up upside down in a fireball. How only 3 of the 300 or so on board died or were seriously injured is some sort of miracle.

post-10776-0-38963400-1492885815_thumb.jpg

The small number of people who get involuntarily bumped is just part of the airline industry and acceptable in order to offer the low fares that they do.

Are maybe to make the higher profits they are feeding to their stock holders; rather lower fares than for their paying passengers.

The bottom line is US airlines are terrible. In many respects that is just how it is...

I try to avoid flying on American or United.

I do not have much experience with Delta but they seem much better.

Though they also just got themselves into some bad PR this past week.

My Itinerary going to Asia is to fly Southwest from my local airport to Los Angeles.

Then fly with EVA or Cathay Pacific to the Philippines.

They both have flights to Cebu City/Mactan Airport so I can avoid Manila.

One trip 6 years ago I broke my leg shortly before departing on a Non-Refundable Flight booked with Cathay Pacific. I also did not have Trip Insurance so I thought I was screwed. But after contacting them they had me send a letter from my Doctor and a request for a refund. And they did it!!!

I also like EVA because I can stop over it Taipei. But I have had problems with them twice on their cancelling flights on short notice. Worked things out, but not a good thing to deal with.

And my worse experience was getting bumped by ANA on my flight from Manila to Japan, that was connecting with United to Denver, and Denver back home in NM. I had checked in early and was waiting to board when they called my name. I was told the flight had a problem and some passengers would need to take a later flight. Not even an offer of compensation!! Of course I threw a fit!! I showed the Gate Agent my ongoing tickets with United. Finally I was the last passenger allowed to board. I think they bumped a number of Japanese passengers and that made a difference.

Got on the 777 and the entire back of the plane was roped off. I was told there was a problem with the Rear Exit Door and so no one was permitted to be seated beyond the Middle Exits. WOW!!!

My advice now, is always purchased Trip Insurance!! It usually costs me USD200 to 300. Depends on the value of the trip. And it includes Medical. Well worth it for the peace of mind. Of course if you get compensated for being bumped you do not get anything from the Insurance. But if you or your Spouse or Domestic Partner has a medical problem that requires you to cancel the trip to take care of him, you will be reimbursed by the Insurance.

Cheers!!

I try to avoid flying on American or United.

I do not have much experience with Delta but they seem much better.

Though they also just got themselves into some bad PR this past week.

My Itinerary going to Asia is to fly Southwest from my local airport to Los Angeles.

Then fly with EVA or Cathay Pacific to the Philippines.

They both have flights to Cebu City/Mactan Airport so I can avoid Manila.

One trip 6 years ago I broke my leg shortly before departing on a Non-Refundable Flight booked with Cathay Pacific. I also did not have Trip Insurance so I thought I was screwed. But after contacting them they had me send a letter from my Doctor and a request for a refund. And they did it!!!

I also like EVA because I can stop over it Taipei. But I have had problems with them twice on their cancelling flights on short notice. Worked things out, but not a good thing to deal with.

And my worse experience was getting bumped by ANA on my flight from Manila to Japan, that was connecting with United to Denver, and Denver back home in NM. I had checked in early and was waiting to board when they called my name. I was told the flight had a problem and some passengers would need to take a later flight. Not even an offer of compensation!! Of course I threw a fit!! I showed the Gate Agent my ongoing tickets with United. Finally I was the last passenger allowed to board. I think they bumped a number of Japanese passengers and that made a difference.

Got on the 777 and the entire back of the plane was roped off. I was told there was a problem with the Rear Exit Door and so no one was permitted to be seated beyond the Middle Exits. WOW!!!

My advice now, is always purchased Trip Insurance!! It usually costs me USD200 to 300. Depends on the value of the trip. And it includes Medical. Well worth it for the peace of mind. Of course if you get compensated for being bumped you do not get anything from the Insurance. But if you or your Spouse or Domestic Partner has a medical problem that requires you to cancel the trip to take care of him, you will be reimbursed by the Insurance.

Cheers!!

I think with US airlines in particular the problem is the so-called "race to the bottom".  We all want to pay less to fly, airlines are cutting costs, crews are bearing the brunt and are seeing their working conditions eroded.  Little wonder that they then snap on occasion.  I do my best to avoid flying with carriers from the US.

Cheers!!

I decided against trip insurance. My probability of missing the flight is much less than I would spend for trip insurance.

I decided against trip insurance. My probability of missing the flight is much less than I would spend for trip insurance.

I do the same. I never had to cancel a flight for the reasons an insurance would have reimbursed me.

I don't buy insurance for electronics and other consumer products I buy.  With what this has saved me over the years I can buy replacements of the products many times over.

I lose big money I have to pay for health insurance, home insurance, car insurance...  but I'm happy that I lose this money by not having to file claims...

United Airlines keeps screwing up badly.

This latest incident where they took away the paid seat of a toddler making him ride on his mother's lap, and then ignoring her complaint, shows that little has changed in the attitude of their personnel.  

I haven't flown with any airline that has such a high average of ugliness, both attitudinal and physical, of their employees that interact with the public.  

United Airlines keeps screwing up badly.

This latest incident where they took away the paid seat of a toddler making him ride on his mother's lap, and then ignoring her complaint, shows that little has changed in the attitude of their personnel.

I haven't flown with any airline that has such a high average of ugliness, both attitudinal and physical, of their employees that interact with the public.

Did the mother get any compensation?