Guest samebb

Abhorrent behaviour on Twilight

I was hoping for a little more support from you guys when a person like this hurts us all.

I believe your report, but we don't know what happened between the two, hence I cannot take side. Read the link about the Hmong girls I posted earlier. The only thing I can say is making such a fuss in public, as the guy did, is uncouth behavior in any country, and in Thailand even worse.

Guest samebb

It was a stupid thing for me to have said. I was tired and not thinking logically. I retract the glassing comment and apologise.

I think the moderation in tone of the last five posts reflects credit on the posters and helps all of us view this unfortunate incident more objectively. We may never know the other side but the discussion caused us to contemplate how we might react if we found ourselves in a similar situation.  

Although it opens an interesting question in that we all know if shit happens and a farang is involved it'll ALWAYS end up the farangs fault no matter what, HOWEVER in this case the Asian guy ( if i read correctly) wasn't actually Thai  - meaning in the true sense of the word he TOO was a farang !   So, does that make it a case of all bets are off then perhaps OR will the Thai's STILL side with their "local" guy simply because he's LESS farang than us farang......and if so does that make them every so slightly racist !?    Ha hold on what am I talking about they ARE racist and rarely try to hide the fact, the only question here would be do they dislike us white guys more or dislike say a Cambodian guy less ( who lets face it they've rarely a good word to say about anyway !)

So, perhaps in THIS case the white guy IS safe enough after all as it was farang on farang ( but I doubt it ! :-)

Guest ronnie4you

Thanks Jasper. I won't be put off from posting by ill informed neanderthals, or bitter old queens. wait.... same same ? 

Why attack older posters on the board with names like this? All of you younger guys will some day be older. If you want to be respected, then respect others. Don't harangue people for having successfully passed so many barriers to old age!

From Wikipedia

Farang (Thai: ฝรั่ง  [faràŋ], colloquially [falàŋ]) is a generic Thai word for someone of European ancestry, no matter where they may come from. The Royal Institute Dictionary 1999, the official dictionary of Thai words, defines the word as "a person of white race".

Edmund Roberts, US envoy in 1833, defined the term as "Frank (or European)."[2] People of mixed sub-Saharan African-European descent were called farang dam (Thai: ฝรั่งดำ; 'black farang') to distinguish them from white people. This began during the Vietnam War, when the United States military maintained bases in Thailand. The practice continues in present-day Bangkok.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Farang

Why attack older posters on the board with names like this? All of you younger guys will some day be older. If you want to be respected, then respect others. Don't harangue people for having successfully passed so many barriers to old age!

I agree with you 100%.  Even though the real world can be terribly unfair and prejudiced, this forum should be a level playing field for everybody regardless of how young or old you are, how many times you have been to Thailand, how many years you've lived here, how generous or chivalrous you think you are, or how many posts or meaningful contributions you think you've made.  Everyone who has an interest in 'gay Thailand' should be able to post here without fear of intimidation.

From Wikipedia

People of mixed sub-Saharan African-European descent were called farang dam (Thai: ฝรั่งดำ; 'black farang') to distinguish them from white people. This began during the Vietnam War, when the United States military maintained bases in Thailand. The practice continues in present-day Bangkok.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Farang

It does?  As far as I know, blacks or people of African descent are colloquially referred to as negro or more formally as khon piu dam (literally, a black-skinned person).  Referring to a person or a group of people as khon piu dam is usually not disparaging - it all depends on how it is used.  Arabs and South Asians are known as khaik - again this is not necessarily a pejorative; it depends on context.  But khon khaik is usually reserved for Arabs, Persians and South Asians who have been in Thailand for generations; Indian tourists and the Arabs in Pattaya whom MFAS has a secret fetish for are simply known as khon India or Aarap respectively.  Newsreaders, academics, politicians, etc would probably refer to them as khon tawan ook klaang (Middle Easterners).

Guest samebb

I know "bitter old queens" in their later 20s. The term, at least in the vocabulary I was taught in the United Kingdom has little or no relation to the physical age of a person, but the age they act when communicating. 

You did the right thing. The falang's behaviour reflects badly on all of us. It is often remarked that the guys we were meeting twenty, even thirty years ago were more anxious to please; "unspoiled" if you like. Maybe what happened in more recent years is that more falangs have arrived who have less respect for them. And  their reactions to falangs generally have become more cynical. 

That small minority have affected us all.

Or maybe, as Alexx and others have said on another thread, the Thai economy has got better and there's less need for the boys to be subservient in order to earn a buck.  Technology, globalisation and successful Asian role models have also made the white man less of a mythical creature deserving of worship.  In case you didn't get the memo, the sun has set on the British Empire :lol: but enterprising creatures like my stalker who couldn't cut it in London managed to catch its last rays in Hong Kong! :lol:

I know "bitter old queens" in their later 20s. The term, at least in the vocabulary I was taught in the United Kingdom has little or no relation to the physical age of a person, but the age they act when communicating. 

The bully's defence.

From Wikipedia

Farang (Thai: ฝรั่ง  [faràŋ], colloquially [falàŋ]) is a generic Thai word for someone of European ancestry,

Well now, I learn something new every day it seems as whilst I always when Thais us it they are of course generally referring to us white guys I did always assume / was toid that it actually simply meant foreigner and not "just" European ( white) foreigners.  But assuming you're correct ( which Im happy to do) I guess that answers my question about who's at fault  - and as always it IS of course us, the poor hard done by white guys as always  - quelle surprise eh ! :-) 

Well now, I learn something new every day it seems as whilst I always when Thais us it they are of course generally referring to us white guys I did always assume / was toid that it actually simply meant foreigner and not "just" European ( white) foreigners.  But assuming you're correct ( which Im happy to do) I guess that answers my question about who's at fault  - and as always it IS of course us, the poor hard done by white guys as always  - quelle surprise eh ! :-) 

The meaning of farang is debatable although 'white foreigner' would probably be the most accepted and widely used meaning. The correct term for 'foreigner' is khon dtaang chaat but I've heard farang being used as a convenient and casual shorthand to describe all foreigners.

There are also other type of abhorrent behavior by bar customers. A friend related to me an incident in one of the Sunee go-go bars, mostly like it was Eros. The farang customer had a boy stand in front of him, in full view of the other patrons, and samoked the boy for 15+ minutes after which he gave him a measly tip of 20 or 40 Baht. Some other(s) patrons chipped into to make up for the Cheap Charlie's meanness. 

A friend related to me an incident in one of the Sunee go-go bars, mostly like it was Eros. The farang customer had a boy stand in front of him, in full view of the other patrons, and samoked the boy for 15+ minutes after which he gave him a measly tip of 20 or 40 Baht. Some other(s) patrons chipped into to make up for the Cheap Charlie's meanness. 

15+ minutes? :o   He's not a Cheap Charlie, he's a motor mouth!  I hope you got the farang a new set of batteries!

And why did the other patrons sit around for 15+ minutes watching that?  Were the boy and farang hot?

Good man !

Especially as garroting would of course have been a MUCH more suitable punishment - I mean if we're going to do it we might as well do it right !! :-) ( JOKE !!!!! :-)

I think that both glassing and garroting are vulgar acts, and for a person of the category of Samebb a more noble action would have been to use a Japanese Katana and calmly slice off the head of this person of abhorrent behavior.

Well... to be fair, Samebb qualified the "old" with "bitter queens", which leaves out us Happy Old Kings.

15+ minutes? :o   He's not a Cheap Charlie, he's a motor mouth!  I hope you got the farang a new set of batteries!

And why did the other patrons sit around for 15+ minutes watching that?  Were the boy and farang hot?

Most likely the other patrons were "engaged" with some other go-go boy. I believe the boy was hot, however haven't seen too many hot farangs in the bars with notable exception of Christian.

We have here another interesting case that balances as much as on what we know as what we don't.  On good authority we know that a farang of demonstrated endurance performed, for a captive audience, with much gusto. We are informed, however, that reward proffered was deemed insufficient by the audience and, presumably, the recipient of said services.

What don't we know? Did the serviced individual deliver on his end of the bargain. Was there--how can I put this--physical evidence?

What it comes down to, in the end, is getting both sides of any story is no easy task.

We have here another interesting case that balances as much as on what we know as what we don't.  On good authority we know that a farang of demonstrated endurance performed, for a captive audience, with much gusto. We are informed, however, that reward proffered was deemed insufficient by the audience and, presumably, the recipient of said services.

What don't we know? Did the serviced individual deliver on his end of the bargain. Was there--how can I put this--physical evidence?

What it comes down to, in the end, is getting both sides of any story is no easy task.

reader, the customer stiffed the boy with a shit tip. The so called audience were there,not to witness the event, but as bystanders, nothing more and nothing less. That kind of blowjob deserves a 300 Baht tip not 20 or 40 Baht. 

Hopefully one of the witnesses to this event will post his recollections.

There is only one side to this story, the farang was a cheap bastard.