GWMinUS

The Raya or The Arni??

I will be visiting Bangkok for 6 nights in November.

I usually have stayed at the Tarntawan or the Siam Heritage.

But based on comments here I am considering The Raya or The Arni.

I have a bad leg, arthritis in one hip, so walking many blocks is not the best for me.

I will be coming with my BF from the Philippines.

So Offs are not my objective; however, enjoying the bars and getting to the BTS are.

So The Raya is attractive for being close to the Go Go Bars and also for getting over to Telephone Bar and DJ Disco. But maybe too close??

I can book the Grand Deluxe on Hotels.com for USD74 per night. (Lower than on Agoda)

The Arni is also close enough I can walk to Soi Twilight and over to Silom.

And it seems a bit more out of the action. Which I perfer.

I have not stayed there so I am unsure about the rooms.

The Standard Shower Room is USD67 per night.

And the Deluxe Room with Bathtub is USD76 per night.

Can any of you tell me more about the Arni? How are the rooms??

Does the Shower Room have a nice glass shower?

And is the shower in the Deluxe Room with Bathtub in the tub or separate?

A shower in the tub would be a deal-breaker for me.

OH, and I and my BF both like Breakfast!!!

Many thanks for Opinions and other Recommendations.

CHEERS

I am always a bit suspicious about hotel booking sites. On the Arnis website there are no deluxe rooms. Only standards, superiors and suites. The ones with a bathtub are named standard rooms. I called the hotel for you and they told me the rooms with baths have showers in the baths - not separate.

Forgot all about the De Arni when I booked the Raya, must check it out when I get there for possible future stays.

Can't comment on the DeArni but encourage comparing prices on websites and doing it over several days.  I've found the prices to vary by as much as 20% between sites and the price on one site vary from day to day.  I also check to see if amenities are the same, some exclude breakfast, some have an extra tax.

Wasn't it posted somewhere that all those hotel booking sites are owned by the same company?

I've often walked past the deArni and wondered whether or not I should stay there instead of the Tarntawan. But walking through that small lobby with a guy, in full view of the straight couples, would be off-putting for me. And for the guy, too, I'd imagine.

I've noticed that in Bangkok (but not in Pattaya) the guys I off prefer to walk a little bit behind me as we head back to my hotel. Once off the street, they are very touchy-feely. I guess they just don't want to be seen as moneyboys. In Pattaya I guess they just don't care.

This time at the Tarntawan I noticed lots of Japanese guys bringing back girls. It is no longer exclusively gay - if it ever really was.

I remember once getting into a lift with a boy, then having to endure the looks from a husband and wife and their child. It was excruciatingly embarrassing for me. My guy also felt incredibly uncomfortable. So for that reason, nice hotels are off my list if I'm travelling as a sex tourist.

Still, I look forward to any review of the deArni.

I am always a bit suspicious about hotel booking sites. On the Arnis website there are no deluxe rooms. Only standards, superiors and suites. The ones with a bathtub are named standard rooms. I called the hotel for you and they told me the rooms with baths have showers in the baths - not separate.

Many thanks for calling the De Arni directly!!

Yes, having to get into a bathtub to shower is not an option for me.

So sounds like The Raya is the best choice.

As to the rates, I will check some more.

The biggest difference is whether you want to books with cancellation option or go all in!!

And the term Superior and Deluxe are always misleading! Which is which???

Guest ronnie4you

The Raya does have good showers. The lobby is on the 5th floor. I stayed on the 8th floor, which was not air-conditioned at the time, if it is now. The air-conditioner in the room is very strong, but blows directly onto the bed, which has very lumpy pillows. . It's location makes up for the small quibbles one might have with it. Given the low rates, book the best room you can afford.

I've often walked past the deArni and wondered whether or not I should stay there instead of the Tarntawan. But walking through that small lobby with a guy, in full view of the straight couples, would be off-putting for me. And for the guy, too, I'd imagine.

You surprise me.  I thought you of all people wouldn't care about these silly little things.  It's not as if you were in some uppity Bangkok suburb.  You're in Patpong and it doesn't get any lower than that.  And the straight couples didn't pay for your holiday and you're unlikely ever to see them again after your stay.

I remember once getting into a lift with a boy, then having to endure the looks from a husband and wife and their child. It was excruciatingly embarrassing for me. My guy also felt incredibly uncomfortable. So for that reason, nice hotels are off my list if I'm travelling as a sex tourist.

Did they pull their child closer to them as they saw you the way rich tai-tais clutch their handbags when they see a black guy? :lol:

Wasn't it posted somewhere that all those hotel booking sites are owned by the same company?

Correct, apparently all the hotel booking sites are owned by two companies, on one side you have the Agoda mob and on the other the Expedia mob

Well, I pulled the Trigger, so to speak.

I booked the Grand Deluxe Room at The Raya.

The rate was

US$74 per night on Hotels.com

US$96 per night at The Raya website.

US$99 per night on Expedia.

Looking forward to enjoying the Rain Shower and the Lumpy Pillows!!!

And Yes I think Expedia has bought up many to the booking websites.