GWMinUS

THAILAND MY CUT OFF FACEBOOK

Tispa and internet gateway providers (IIG), sent an email to the managing director of Facebook Thailand on Friday with the request.

"If the relevant Thai authorities find any illegal content from www.facebook.com in our system - particularly the 131 URLs which have not yet been removed - concerned authorities will request that we shut down the CDN of www.facebook.com and other parts of the network to block such illegal content.

"This action may affect the entire delivery services of www.facebook.com to customers in Thailand," Tispa said in the email.

According to Tispa, Thai authorities have demanded Facebook remove 131 separate Facebook posts which they deemed illegal. The Criminal Court has signed orders to take down the posts, otherwise the Thai unit of the US social media giant will face legal action.

Read more at

http://www.bangkokpost.com/business/telecom/1250114/facebook-faces-immediate-shutdown-threat

OOPS Sorry for spelling in the Topic Name...

Maybe wise that anyone based in Thailand ( or intending to visit even) does not even reply to this thread as based on the topic at hand the slightest innocent comment on "that" particular topic can could lead to charges if it suits those who must be obeyed - such as the woman who simply commented "ok" to a post on Facebook about "that' topic that was charged ( and imprisoned ?) shortly after I believe, likewise the powers that be have indicated that they would also consider blocking passports of foreigners who caused offence to ensure that they too couldn't visit Thailand - or worse they'd maybe let them in and THEN arrest and prosecute them.  So perhaps just the less said the better :(

The questions is do they have local clone of FB or not? I've never heard about such the clone, meanwhile I see 4000+ followers at some bar boys accounts and tonns of posts at Thai accounts about any slightest moves and smallest things happen. Looks like Thai people appreciate FB very much.

If such, TISPA (what is it by the way? Thailand Internet Service Provider Association?) and local providers will send letters to FB, because they need to demonstrate some activities, and FB will keep silence. All are happy.

Russian government shut down Line recently (they are training to shut down messengers, people think, and started from ont so popular ones here). So I came to Russia and I could not communicate with my friends from Thailand :(

Five minutes search and I got this at my phone - works very well and free of charge - now I am using Line again despite the official shut down:

post-14053-0-55956100-1495475883_thumb.png

There's no better way for the government to incite the masses than shutting down Facebook. Much as I would personally appreciate it (I guess productivity would skyrocket throughout Thailand!), I'm sure the government is fearful of the massive backlash this would cause. They really have enough problems as it is. Also, by and large Facebook seems to be complying with their orders to block certain content in Thailand, it just takes some time to implement it.

Five minutes search and I got this at my phone - works very well and free of charge - now I am using Line again despite the official shut down:

as is usually the case if you are not paying for it then you are the product and that is the least of your problems here - perhaps spend more than 5 minutes and learn about some of the privacy, security and technical issues with this product

Also, by and large Facebook seems to be complying with their orders to block certain content in Thailand, it just takes some time to implement it.

and part of that time is actually getting the court orders which is why they didn't end up blocking facebook according to the Bangkok Post and many other sources! and NIrishGuy it is not yet a criminal offense to read articles about this topic on the local press web sites and is unlikely every to be!

bkkguy