Guest whall

Avoid BKK 25-29 October 2017

Guest whall

I don't think anyone posted about this. BKK will be crazy crowded during the above dates. Might want to think to avoid Bangkok during the above dates. It's making me rethink my dates.

http://www.lonelyplanet.com/news/2017/06/02/thai-travel-advisory-october-2017/

Why you should head to the beaches and countryside in Thailand in October and steer clear of Bangkok

October in Thailand sees the end of the rainy season and usually heralds the start of the country’s tourist influx. The famous Thai welcome to visitors will still be there,  but this year tourists are being advised to stay away from Bangkok for certain dates in October, during the cremation of the late King.

The country’s tourism minister Kobkarn Wattanavrangul has issued an official Thai travel advisory for 25-29 October 2017, suggesting visitors should aim to be at beaches and other destinations in the north and south of the country instead of Bangkok. October 26 is the day of the ceremony itself and has been declared a national holiday.

Thailand still welcomes tourists for all activities as well as conferences and seminars which will continue as usual” she told the Nation. “However to avoid traffic congestion during the royal cremation period in late October foreign tourists should travel outside of the capital if possible.”

Certain tourist attractions that are near the cremation site will also be closed for the week and festivals will also be cancelled as a mark of respect. Further specific information will be released closer to the time to allow visitors to plan their visit accordingly and will include alternative recommendations for activities.

The advisory is not mandatory and tourists will still be allowed explore Bangkok during this time period if they choose, but they should expect delays. In addition, they are requested to dress appropriately and behave politely during this period.

Why is the Thai monarchy so popular?

When King Bhumibol Adulyadej died last October, the streets of Thailand virtually shut down in mourning. The late monarch’s popularity was undeniable. Having reigned for six decades, he was seen as a reassuring figure as the country underwent huge economic and political upheaval. He also made a huge effort during the early years of his reign to travel the nation, often meeting the very poorest people in rural areas.

A genuine, public affection for the late king is obvious throughout Thailand, but there are also strict laws in place which make it illegal to insult, defame or threaten members of the royal family. The laws are the strictest in the world and punishment can be up to fifteen years imprisonment. In a famously relaxed country, travellers are always warned to avoid any criticism of the monarchy while in Thailand.

The new King Vajiralongkorn has been in power since December and so far, appears to have failed to capture the public’s imagination like his father. He has passed new laws which allow him to spend more time abroad and appoint a regent in his place for periods of time, as well as strengthened the power of the monarchy.

Good advice...though most of us have to go to Bangkok first. I suspect that there will be  bar closures during that period all over the country.

I don't know whether this is replicated across the board in Bangkok, but Tarntawan has raised its prices during October....from about 2500 to nearer 4000 bht pn, approximately. Perhaps it's co-incidence. And these new prices pertain on Agoda et al.

Guest samebb

I bet nothing will be decided about the bars until the last minute. TiT

If it was me I would avoid Thailand all together for this period.

Some of us live here. I would rather be in pattaya. If bars are closed I can just use LINE to meet my special twinks

Guest Homoskater

Good to know! I'm planning my first trip to Thailand for a 10day visit on the 30th October. Should I go to Pattaya first and then Bangkok for the second half of the holiday?

Good to know! I'm planning my first trip to Thailand for a 10day visit on the 30th October. Should I go to Pattaya first and then Bangkok for the second half of the holiday?

On Oct 30th it will be all over. 

Not sure others agree but I'd not start my first visit in Thailand with Pattaya, go to Bangkok first as it gives you better grip of country than essentially provincial  backwater with pockets of great entertainment  Pattaya is.

Like Vinapu, I always found Bangkok first was better for me. It probably depends how much sight seeing you plan on doing during the day. I always found after 4 or 5 days in Bangkok that I was ready for a more chill time in Pattaya. Also, I tend to spend a lot more in Bangkok than Pattaya so My budget always works better that way. Each to their own though. I have, on occasion done Bangkok -Pattaya - Bangkok and that works well too.

Like Vinapu, I always found Bangkok first was better for me

while we both agree on this my advice was directed at first timers as I think Bangkok is better  introduction to Thailand's charms  including gay hunting grounds.

Guest Homoskater

On Oct 30th it will be all over. 

Not sure others agree but I'd not start my first visit in Thailand with Pattaya, go to Bangkok first as it gives you better grip of country than essentially provincial  backwater with pockets of great entertainment  Pattaya is.

Sweet, makes sense. I can't wait to explore these gay hunting grounds :)

Guest samebb

Sweet, makes sense. I can't wait to explore these gay hunting grounds :)

But remember.. the boys will be hunting you.. and your wallet! haha

Guest Homoskater

But remember.. the boys will be hunting you.. and your wallet! haha

Oh yeah true. I'll be the prey. *stuffs wallet with cash* yep, ready to be hunted down by hot thai guys :D