Guest siWeho

Songran Advices!

I've been a couple of times in Thailand but it will be my first time during Songran week.

I know they have that event called gcircuit, but I'm not much into dancing, so thinking of only going to the pool party instead of the night parties.

Do you guys know where is the best crowd or where can I have more "action"?

Does it attract a local crowd or mostly tourist considering the price of the ticket?

Is it really worth going to it at all or maybe I should just hangout at DJ station?

Also, does anyone have any suggestion on what not to miss during that week?

Any special party in any gay sauna?

Songkran is one of my favorite times to visit BKK.  I stay at the Babylon barracks and enjoy the convenience of having the pool parties, foam parties and other celebrations right there without having to deal with the water games on the streets.

Once I also went to a GCircuit party on Songkran and I won't do it again, because I didn't find it worthwhile but rather dumb, having to put up with reservation of costly tickets plus getting soaked on the way there.

G.Circuit's Songkran parties alone are worth the airfare. But they're not meet markets. All the party goers come in groups. Tickets are super expensive. At the parties, you'll hear a lot of Chinese and English spoken. There are a lot of guys from Singapore, Hong Kong and the rest of China. There are also a lot of bears from Japan. Wealthy Thais, too. Everyone, except the Japanese bears who are, well, bears, has a really tight gym body. Most seem to be mid-20s to early 30s. Most of the guys wear jeans and leather holsters. Lots of eye candy, none of which is available. If you like clubbing, you'll love the SK parties, whichever one(s) you decide to go to. I go every year.

The scene on Silom starting around mid-afternoon is also worth the airfare. It's one big watergun war. If you want to make it into a gay experience, join the "fighting" on Soi 4.

Also, I highly recommend Pattaya on April 19 for an even better watergun experience along Beach Road.

Songkran, I'm convinced, is the world's top tourist event. Nothing else comes close. Just be prepared. Wear flip-flops, a swimsuit and t-shirt you won't mind throwing away. Buy a big watergun and plastic holder for your money from a street vendor. Bring a waterproof case for your smartphone; you'll want to take pictures/videos. Arrive in Bangkok at least a day ahead of time, on April 12.

And have the best time of your life.

Cheers

G.Circuit's Songkran parties alone are worth the airfare. But they're not meet markets. All the party goers come in groups. Tickets are super expensive. At the parties, you'll hear a lot of Chinese and English spoken. There are a lot of guys from Singapore, Hong Kong and the rest of China. There are also a lot of bears from Japan. Wealthy Thais, too. Everyone, except the Japanese bears who are, well, bears, has a really tight gym body. Most seem to be mid-20s to early 30s. Most of the guys wear jeans and leather holsters. Lots of eye candy, none of which is available. If you like clubbing, you'll love the SK parties, whichever one(s) you decide to go to. I go every year.

The scene on Silom starting around mid-afternoon is also worth the airfare. It's one big watergun war. If you want to make it into a gay experience, join the "fighting" on Soi 4.

Also, I highly recommend Pattaya on April 19 for an even better watergun experience along Beach Road.

Songkran, I'm convinced, is the world's top tourist event. Nothing else comes close. Just be prepared. Wear flip-flops, a swimsuit and t-shirt you won't mind throwing away. Buy a big watergun and plastic holder for your money from a street vendor. Bring a waterproof case for your smartphone; you'll want to take pictures/videos. Arrive in Bangkok at least a day ahead of time, on April 12.

And have the best time of your life.

Cheers

BiggusDickus (what a graphic name), I agree with you that Songkran is worth a trip, even from across the globe.  

But my experience of one GCircuit party was not worth any trip, except the return trip.  At least not being by oneself, as you say most attending are in groups. There is much eye candy (if your eyes don't mind the clothes) but, if none is available, isn't this some sort of masochism?  Why not attend a Songkran party at a gay sauna, where the meat market is open?

I went to Babylon Songkran in 2013 (?). Big mistake. There was a queue, nay a waiting area where I and about 100 others had to wait about 1 hour to get into the sauna, while being occasionally hosed with water by staff. In the sauna cramped, but nobody particularly my type, and anyway the mood was more for party than for sex. And I don't like the feeling of being wet for too long, and it gets cold quickly. Like all my other songkran experiences, it was awful.

Songkran in Bangkok is a delight.  GO and have a great time!

I don't know about the sauna scene.  I believe they have special parties.  

DJ Station is of course a scene.  It's crowded.  You're wet.  You're dancing.  The people who don't enjoy it aren't there, so everyone there is having a good time.  It's possible to meet people.  RCA is another crazy spot.

As you note, there will also be the the Circuit parties, which is mostly for the out of towners.  Some locals go of course, but I bet the majority are visitors.  For the locals who might be on more limited budgets, one of the Thai-for-Thai clubs (App Arena) usually takes over an outdoor space and has big wet fun parties.  I think if you're with a group of youngs or are young and comfortable on your own they can be fun but not a place for "action."  The Thai-for-Thai clubs in general are not the spot for older guys to try to pick up younger Thais.

As for Bangkok in general:  Silom is the main spot in Bangkok, and Soi 4 is completely taken over by the water revelers.  It's a time to go crazy and get wet.  You can buy a drink and parade up and down the soi and get soaked or be a soaker.  It's noisy and raucous.  Not a place for "action" but you might make some friends.  

In the afternoon, a lot of the guys who work together on Soi Twilight will hang out in groups, enjoying the festivities and occasionally making it over to Soi Twilight for a break and water party.  You can usually hang out at one of the outdoor bars by the entrance to the soi or grab a chair at Maxi's and enjoy the scene and maybe buy the guys a beer.  

In past years, after 8:00 pm the sois have tried to limit the water in the actual sois themselves, particularly after the first night.  This is usually well-intentioned but with all the alcohol flowing and the problem of how do you actually get to the safe haven of the soi without getting wet as you enter or leave, you just have to accept that you will get wet.  

Enjoy!

Guest Promsak

Not me. I love it. Great way to cool off on a hot day.

Agreed -' A' -- hot day, but 3 or more days on end monotonous.

I think I would like it more if it were only Thais doing it but when big tattooed farang thugs are doing it with super powered waterweapons it makes me, uncharacteristically, angry.

Agreed -' A' -- hot day, but 3 or more days on end monotonous.

I think I would like it more if it were only Thais doing it but when big tattooed farang thugs are doing it with super powered waterweapons it makes me, uncharacteristically, angry.

You should try here in south Pattaya with the hordes of arabic thugs. Horrible.

Just avoid Silom and it’s not an issue. I’ve never had these problems . The only thing I avoid is a tuktuk. You get stuck in traffic and your done for. But again we all have different ideas of fun. Twilight between 5 and 8pm is great fun as the boys that work there have their water battles. Bathing suits and shirtless, just sit back and watch the show.