DenverDude

Planning a 2nd trip

Last year October/November was my first time to Thailand (Bangkok and Phuket).  I'm considering another trip around the same time this year.  I want to do a different beach destination this time and was considering Krabi.  Mostly just looking to relax on the beach, but want a little fun too.  I'm not finding much info on "Gay Krabi".  Anyone have any advice?  Or is there another beach destination (not including Phuket) that I should consider?

The main resort in Krabi is Ao Nang,    There are about 10 girlie gogo bars and no gay scene at all.  At best, you're goig   

Hua Hin has a couple of gay bars, but when I visited, I think there were about 3 lads in each, of which just 1 interested me.  Had a quick and unsatisfactory massage upstairs with him.   Met one lad on the phone apps.

Pattaya has a very good gay scene and a beach, although it's heavily developed rather than unspoilt.

Samui has a bit of a gay scene, mostly centered around Chaweng.  A bar or two, a couple of massage places.  But I think people who go there hoping for a robust gay scene are disappointed.  (Same as Hua Hin.)  Samui has some nice beaches and other things to do, but it's not as pretty as Krabi.  And like anywhere else there are parts utterly lacking in charm.  There are nice places to go and get away from it all on nearby Koh Phangan and tiny Koh Tao ("Murder Island") but I think best to bring companionship with you if that's important.  There used to be a gay-ish bar with a ladyboy show on Koh Tao, but I don't know if it's still there.   Also some decent SCUBA opportunities off of Koh Tao.  

For up-to-date information, there's a very affable expat guy who runs Rainbow SCUBA who also offered tours of Samui.  That could be something to do and he could give you an up-to-date intro to the scene there.

The Bangkok bar formerly known as Fresh Beach Boys has just been going by the name Fresh Boys for several years now.

If you're looking for nice & beautiful beaches, I wouldn't stay in ugly Ao Nang. The beach there as far as I have seen it is arrow and not pretty. I've stayed at Railay Beach several times instead and found it to about one of the most beautiful beaches in the world. There are actually 3 beaches there, Railay (West) beach, Ao Phra Nag beach on the south side, and Ton Sai baech towards the northewest (mor a backpacker/hippie haven, not recommended as the sun disappears behind a steep cliff quite early in the day).

Railay beach can only be reached by boat from Ao Nang and is thus kinda secluded, except for sometimes too many day time visitors coming on day trips in longtail boats. But the are all gone by 5pm, then it becomes quiet and one can have a sundowner right on the beach on mats with cushions they set up and watch the amazing sunsets.

I've stayed at Railay Village Resort right on the beach and found it good. There are only I think 5 resorts on the west side directly on the beach.

Then there is Railay East, which you can reach by walking just 3 minutes through several paths connecting east and west which are no more than 200 or 300 meters apart. On the east side, there is no beach at all, but many many more accommodation options of all types, from budget to luxury. Also many restaurants, and a rather vibrant nightlife - albeit none of it gay.

And you can do day trips from there too, of course, say an island hopping tour including to Phi Phi Island or James Bond Island and the like. Very nice for a day.

As for the gay side of things, like I said no gay bars or such there, so you'd be limited to tying the apps, but it's a small area overall and thus chances will be limited (presumably no MBs there, maybe some other regular guys being restaurant or hotel staff).

So, if you can do without a gay scene (commercial or otherwise) for a few days and want beautiful beach days, that might be an option. Depending on the amount of time you have in total, maybe you could split it into, say. 3 nights Railay and 3 nighs Ao Nang.

Depends what you want in Krabi.  

I stayed in Ao Nang & took the boat to Railay Beach one day.    For MY needs, that was the best solution, as in Ao Nang I can get a wider range of food, coffee & massages.

If you are less fussy about food etc & wanting to stay on the best beach, follow Anddy's advice.

My hotel in Ao Nang was quite nice, but it was not very central & up near the Tescos.   So quite a bit of walking to go anywhere.

The nearest I got to any action was a couple of massage places with some male masseurs & a happy ending.  

Guest Scott303

So I ended up staying at Railay Beach, I arrived today, staying at Bhu Nga Thani Resort at Railay East.  What an incredible place this is.  Even though it's highly unlikely there will be any gay fun here, I think I'll be quite content staying here for the week.

So I ended up staying at Railay Beach, I arrived today, staying at Bhu Nga Thani Resort at Railay East.  What an incredible place this is.  Even though it's highly unlikely there will be any gay fun here, I think I'll be quite content staying here for the week.

are you the same guy as the OP? Forgot your password huh? LOL

are you the same guy as the OP? Forgot your password huh? LOL

So Scott303 is my original user name from a year ago.  When I was planning this years trip I couldn't get logged in.  I never got the password reset email so finally gave up and created DenverDude.  It's so weird that my reply last night posted as Scott303 because I know I logged in using DenverDude as that's the only ID saved in my password management tool. 

So Scott303 is my original user name from a year ago.  When I was planning this years trip I couldn't get logged in.  I never got the password reset email so finally gave up and created DenverDude.  It's so weird that my reply last night posted as Scott303 because I know I logged in using DenverDude as that's the only ID saved in my password management tool. 

And this morning I didn't log in at all and I'm DenverDude again...