bucknaway

Only in Thailand

but I doubt it's way they see nudity in Thailand where often I'm surprised when even go-go with lots of experience subconsciously are trying to cover  their jewels with hand or towel even if we just had a prolonged shower together

The culture in Thailand is of course different to Japan. 

However, people quickly adjust to the norms of wherever they are.

We are quite happy to walk around naked in a sauna & in speedos on the beach, but would be fully covered in a posh restaurant or any other formal event.

Lads employed in certain gogo bars will happily get everything out, but if you moved the same lads to a gogo bar where it is normal to keep the speedos on, they keep the speedos on.  

People are just concerned about what others think.    

Also, these things change with time.  According to a recent thread here, about half a century ago, it was apparently normal for males to swim naked in the US, or parts of it at least.  Now I believe it is more normal to wear rather oversized bathing shorts.

I guess the Thai army doesn't have individual rooms with en-suite bathrooms.    

More likely dorms & communal showers.   In which case, some communal nudity is probably more normal than elsewhere in Thai society.    Then, with that a a baseline, climbing a tree naked is not pushing the boundaries very far.

Interesting. I taught English in Japan and hung out with students and other gaijin, but not salarymen. On weekends I went to the boring ni-chome gay scene. There seemed to be numerous subcultures in Japan, and as a foreigner, one needed an invitation to join one of them. Lucky you to be asked to join that one!

I couldn't imagine students ever getting naked with their teacher, although on school trips we always went into the public bath together - but that's different.

As for gaijin getting involved in a bit of fun, I guess they'd behave like they do at home and keep their pants on.

Mind you, guys involved in sporting teams in Australia, especially football players, often get naked together. It builds team spirit, apparently!

Last month a number of them were charged with Indecent Exposure when they got naked at a party celebrating the end of the season. The problem is, they did it on the balcony of a hotel in full view of passers-by.

A few years ago photos appeared on social media showing footballers engaging in group sex. Other photos have appeared from time to time showing team members cavorting nude in hotel rooms.

One team, the Bulldogs, used to perform the "elephant walk" in front of fans at end -of -season celebration parties. They get naked and walk right behind each other in a line, holding hands between each others' legs.

So from the above, it seems some foreigners do exactly what the some Japanese do when they belong to a specific group.

I belonged to a number of different groups - a few friendship groups and a group of close work colleagues. But we only got naked sometimes; it wasn't a regular occurrence with us. But all it took was for one guy to strip off and it was game on.

I think the photo of the guys up the tree is just an example of the above. At the end of the day, we are all basically the same when the situation arises. In societies where nudity is not constrained by religious taboos, and where guys commonly bathe naked together, it's no big deal.

The other photo where there is actual physical contact between the guys is probably abuse.

BTW faranglaw, the gay scene for locals in Japan tends to centre on gay clubs in the backstreets of Ueno, which all require membership. I had membership in three of them. My parents actually bought me my first membership as a 21st birthday present! They are hidden away behind closed doors. There are also numerous gay bars and short-time hotels in the area but you have to know where they are. Also, gaijin are not welcome unless you go with a friend and can speak Japanese. I have since sold my memberships.

I once wrote a detailed report on SGT about a gay cinema situated at the top of the stairs leading down to Shinobazu Pond in Ueno Park. (Oh, the stories I could tell!) The cinema complex is still there but I'm not sure if the gay one upstairs is still going.

I had another discussion with my partner about the photo.

He was surprised that people thought it was abuse, he thought it was just part of the training, a Thai way of demonstrating army discipline.

My view is that it is another illustration of the difference in Eastern and Western ways of thinking - I live in an Isaan village and I frequently have to remind myself that I choose to live here and can not inflict my values - don't get me started on cock fighting (supposedly illegal ha ha) and neglect of dogs.

I served 2.5 years in the army and never experienced anything like what we saw in those pics.  I think the naked push ups on the floor would be considered abuse now.  Though they did have hazing and blanket parties during my dad's time (30+ years ago).  Not sure about commando training - they are sick and hot!

traveller123, are you saying cock fighting and the mistreatment of animals are examples of eastern values and ways of thinking?

The other photo where there is actual physical contact between the guys is probably abuse.

Refreshingly lucid explanation shorn of giddy, prurient innuendos. I humbly suggest that "probably" be changed to may, as the pushup like photo is not all that far from the footballer's elephant walk. Sometimes., incidental touching is just that.

I just saw very interesting snippet from zombie soldier in fb, thai movie in asian crush i think. Go ahead, watch it. Very entertaining and not to mention potraying the exact things we were discussing here about the photo, except now its a movie, didnt see any nudity but people in underwear and gays are well represented too lol

traveller123, are you saying cock fighting and the mistreatment of animals are examples of eastern values and ways of thinking?

In the village where I live cock fighting goes on and you see the fighting cocks in baskets outside houses, some dogs are very poorly treated full of mange and worse, you see similar dogs all over Thailand..

Similar things probably happen in the West, but they are not the norm and if noticed would be quickly reported

What I am saying is that in Thailand, in the poorer rural communities, there is often no concern for animal welfare unless there is a monetary value attached to it.