12is12

Registering the boy at reception?

Most Bangkok hotels do not.

Offs generally are aware of those that do (I.e., Tarntawan).

The minority that do will have a conspicuous notice in lobby or your room.

Don’t complicate your vacation with trying to create lists in advance. I’d just assume that they don’t.

10 hours ago, 12is12 said:

. I'm staying at Tarntawan, and am glad that they require. It's a great and simple safety measure.

they have guy at the elevator who takes care about those things , collecting ID and recording it in big book, when your companion is leaving he gets back his ID and must sign for it.

Keep in mind your regular friends visiting you just far a talk or drink even during daytime   will go through the same procedure. You will be called in the room to confirm all is in order. 

I agree with Boy 69, and find those measures unnecessary but it's non issue for me .  

23 minutes ago, vinapu said:

they have guy at the elevator who takes care about those things , collecting ID and recording it in big book, when your companion is leaving he gets back his ID and must sign for it.

Keep in mind your regular friends visiting you just far a talk or drink even during daytime   will go through the same procedure. You will be called in the room to confirm all is in order. 

I agree with Boy 69, and find those measures unnecessary but it's non issue for me .  

I concur with above, yesterday my friend visited in the afternoon and later in the evening my off and both had gone through with the same process, they even called me during night after he left to check if everything was okay, probably because I didn’t leave with the guy during night whereas I had left with my friend for lunch during afternoon.

11 minutes ago, zombie said:

With respect, both for security and under age reasons checking ID and registering at reception is an important safeguard and I am surprised anyone would consider otherwise.

I do not "go" with anyone unless I am satisfied they have proper ID and are adult.

it greatly depends on our preferred type, if  guy I offed  had ID showing they are  borderline 18 or even 22 it would mean only one thing for me - ID is fake . 

I’m in Pattaya now staying in a non gay hotel as I like the pool and gym. This hotel insists on visitors leaving their Id at reception and if the guest leaves unaccompanied they telephone asking if everything is ok. I’ve had a boy from Laos and he left his passport. They looked carefully at the id of one young looking boy and glanced at me saying “ok”. Whilst I have had no recent problems with boys in my hotel rooms as regards honesty, my money and valuables including an expensive watch go in the room safe,

Agreed.   I would not worry excessively about security in Thailand.   My impression is it's fairly safe with a lower risk of theft than in many other countries.

My only known security issue was the "disappearance" of a 500 baht bottle of whiskey from a hotel minibar about 12 years ago.    The first I knew about it was when I was billed 500 baht upon checking out.  Of course, I don't know if it was the hotel, the cleaner or one of my guests who duped me, but I'm betting on one specific freelancer.

When I go out to the bars, I take enough cash for the evening and my phone.    Cameras, tablets, passports, remaining cash etc are left in the room safe.

Theoretically, any long time guest sleeping overnight COULD take my phone and the small amount of cash that isn't in the safe (which should be less than his tip).   This has  never been a problem and don't recall reading about anyone else having issues in such circumstances.

here is some more anecdotal evidence about the safety and honesty of Thais in general: when people on motorcycles park their bikes, they ALWAYS leave the helmets just hanging on the mirror or similar. NOBODY, EVER, locks it to their bike or in the compartment under the seat. Neither do I with my bike/helmet. That's unheard of in other countries, including all of Europe. Never are any helmets stolen here, though.

However, there is ONE serious safety risk in Bangkok that the OP should be worried about (pretty much the only one, really): a sprained ankle from the notoriously treacherous sidewalks of Bangkok, with loose tiles, potholes and unexpected poles to bump into when looking at one's phone (or companion) and whatever else. That's a REAL risk in Bangkok, unlike all the others he has posted about.

Now with that in mind he should stop worrying, go with the flow and have fun.