floridarob

When will Thailand open to Tourists- question/speculation?

4 hours ago, vinapu said:

Very rich are also mostly in high risk group and may be less inclined to travel those days until they find a way to bribe virus to jump on somebody else.  

The very rich might be more in high risk age groups, but they might also figure out that the covid risk in Thailand is quite low.

2 hours ago, Gaybutton said:

It seems to me tourists would have to want to go to Thailand very badly just now.  Right now Thailand does have warm going for it, but at the price of a mountain of paperwork, insurance, expensive quarantine for two weeks, and all followed by very little left open to attract tourists.  Along with that the possibility of a second wave Covid outbreak, meaning Thailand might forbid international flights, stranding people again and the possibility of home country's borders closed or quarantines once you arrive home.

As an added bonus, you would get to walk into serious political unrest going on in Thailand now too.

The paperwork & other restrictions are a major barrier. 

From what I saw, the quarantine prices were in the right ballpark for the type of hotel on offer.   If having to spend 2 weeks in a hotel, I wouldn't want anything too rough & the prices would not stop me.

As for political unrest, I would think this is of low risk to most tourists.  Just stay away from protests.   As far as I know, the last time it caused a major problem for tourists was when the yellow shirts shut the airport.  Currently that would not be a prime target.

From Bangkok Post

First batch of tourists Covid-free

The result of the first Covid-19 test on arrival for 39 Chinese tourists who travelled using the special tourist visa reported no positive cases.

Another two groups from China are scheduled to arrive on Oct 26 and Oct 28, while Scandinavian travellers queue up for November, said Phiphat Ratchakitprakarn, the tourism and sports minister.

He said the ministry has not received additional inbound requests from other countries.

The ministry plans to consider the consequences from the first stage of reopening.

If a new flow of tourists arrive without any positive cases, the government is ready to implement a more relaxed quarantine, but this requires approval from the Centre for Covid-19 Situation Administration first, said Mr Phiphat.

"Europe now faces a second wave," he said. "The Tourism and Sports and Foreign ministries will allow tourists from low-risk cities with zero new cases for more than 30 days."

From The Thaiger

Officials to tap into Chinese market

Thailand has so far welcomed 2 flights with Chinese visitors on the new Special Tourist Visa, a first step after a 7 month ban on international tourists. Now, tourism officials are proposing to bring in more whilst tapping into the vast Chinese market to draw in more visitors.

Tourism Authority of Thailand governor Yuthasak Supasorn says they’re planning on 7.45 million Chinese arrivals next year with hopes that travel restrictions ease up (in 2019 there were around 11 million Chinese visitors to Thailand). Tourism officials expect a high season in July during the school break, assuming that international travel restrictions are lifted by then. Next year’s overall goal for the Asian market is 11.2 million, a 34% decrease from 2019, before the pandemic.

“Some 7.45 million arrivals from China is in our sight, but it depends on how situation develops.”

“When the pandemic subsides we will change their focus from business travellers and retirees, to a younger generation that are ‘less concerned’ with health risks.”

He says he’s focusing on millennials, those born in the early 1980s to late 1990s. China has 321 million millennials, while Japan, South Korea, Hong Kong and Taiwan altogether have 69 million.

“Millennial travellers have more flexibility as they can actively penetrate technologies and online information — essential tools for post-pandemic tourism.”

1 hour ago, reader said:

“Some 7.45 million arrivals from China is in our sight, but it depends on how situation develops.”

It certainly does depend on how the situation develops.     With a total of 28 days strict quarantine for the round trip, any fool can see the number of Chinese tourists will remain very low & insignificant under current policies.   

From The Thaiger / Pattaya News

“Pattaya Model” to focus on Special Tourist Visa visitors from China and Russia

Pattaya wants to cash in on the new Special Tourist Visa scheme and local officials plan to introduce the “Pattaya Model” to help boost the local economy after it took at beating from the lack of international tourists due to the pandemic. They’ll focus on drawing in Chinese and Russian tourists on the new long stay visa, according to Pattaya Mayor Sonthaya Khunpluem.

“Last year, there were 3 million Chinese tourists visiting Pattaya, followed by Russian tourists with 1.1 million. The CCSA is targeting these two groups to visit the country under the Covid-19 health measures to boost the local economy.”

These travellers would be from cities in Russia and China that are considered to be at a low risk for spreading the coronavirus, the mayor says. He mentioned St. Petersburg in Russia and Guangzhou, Shanghai and Shenzhen in China.

Along with accommodating tourists under the Special Tourist Visa, the mayor says they are planning for other travellers that are approved by the Centre for Covid-19 Situation Administration.

From The Thaiger

Travellers to Thailand to wear “Smartband” tracking watch

Special Tourist Vias, 14 day quarantine, “plans”, “models” and endless red-tape. Now we’ve got the “smartband” to track foreigners when they visit Thailand. The so-called Smartband will have to be worn by any foreign travellers entering Thailand. The new wearable restriction for travellers to Thailand coincides with the Cabinet announcement this week to allow more foreign tourists and crew of yachts to enter Thailand under the Special Tourist Visa program.

“The wristband can track their locations and measure the body’s temperature, blood pressure, and heart rate. It can also help the wearers with various problems, such as asking for directions when they get lost.”

The Smartband is being introduced from today.It’s the brainchild of the Ministry of Digital Economy and Society, in cooperation with Thai startups, according to the announcement on PR Thai Government.

Details, as usual, are sketchy and there is no clarification where the smartband is given to the tourists, if it’s compulsory to wear or who pays for it. Nothing explains how the Smartband can help when the wearer is “asking for directions”. Or is it waterproof? On the government’s own PR Facebook page the reception was less than enthusiastic….

Special Tourist Vias, 14 day quarantine, “plans”, “models” and endless red-tape. Now we’ve got the “smartband” to track foreigners when they visit Thailand. The so-called Smartband will have to be worn by any foreign travellers entering Thailand. The new wearable restriction for travellers to Thailand coincides with the Cabinet announcement this week to allow more foreign tourists and crew of yachts to enter Thailand under the Special Tourist Visa program.

“The wristband can track their locations and measure the body’s temperature, blood pressure, and heart rate. It can also help the wearers with various problems, such as asking for directions when they get lost.”

The Smartband is being introduced from today.It’s the brainchild of the Ministry of Digital Economy and Society, in cooperation with Thai startups, according to the announcement on PR Thai Government.

Details, as usual, are sketchy and there is no clarification where the smartband is given to the tourists, if it’s compulsory to wear or who pays for it. Nothing explains how the Smartband can help when the wearer is “asking for directions”. Or is it waterproof? On the government’s own PR Facebook page the reception was less than enthusiastic….

“I never wear a watch, especially in Thai heat. I don’t mind a month in the daytime but forever is nonsense. I wonder how it does in the pool? The original plan was a tracking app on the phone. No problem, I am boring, you can follow me if you like but this looks like a shakedown for tech that I don’t want, in a form that I do not use. What happens when you take it off? I certainly do not sleep with a watch on.”

“I think these measures will not be widely accepted by european users. Almost no one wants to go to Thailand with quarantine don’t understand why also add this measure.”

=====================================================

From The Thaiger

Foreigners who test positive for C19 in Thailand won’t be able to use the public health system

The battle to reopen Thailand’s borders is shaping up as a 3-way PR fight between economic hawks who are eager to re-open to reboot the country’s tourism industry, a government and medical officials resting on their laurels after containing the virus, and a risk-averse population who, survey after survey, indicate they are keen to keep the borders closed.

In another effort to assuage Thai fears, a doctor at the infectious disease department has stated that any foreigner found to be infected with Covid-19, while in alternative state quarantine, would be taken to a partner hospital in the private sector, not a Thai public hospital.

Dr Opas Karnkawinpong has made it clear that foreigners would have to pay for their treatment and medication themselves.

“They won’t be a burden on the Thai health system.”

Dr Opas laid out the strict measures that foreigners would have to submit to before travelling to Thailand. Apart from the effort and cost of finding a flight at this time, gaining permission from their country’s Thai Embassy, they would have to get fit-to-fly and entry certificates, Covid-free documentation, health insurance and upfront payments for their 14 day Alternative State Quarantine.

“If infected they would go to a special isolation unit at the hospital partnered with the quarantine hotel. Non serious cases would be there for 10 days, those with serious conditions like lung infections may have to stay for a month.”

29 minutes ago, reader said:

Travellers to Thailand to wear “Smartband” tracking watch

another nonsense

30 minutes ago, reader said:

Foreigners who test positive for C19 in Thailand won’t be able to use the public health system

that at least makes sense, it's what insurances are for

When there are almost no tourists & no foreseeable change to that with current policy, why talk about logging tourists blood pressure and such nonsense ?

Some kind of tamper proof location tracker might just act as an extra safeguard to ensure people don't bribe their way out of quarantine.   It may even help if they want to change the quarantine rules to allow free movement in a resort hotel or something for part of the quarantine period.    However, once it is past the point where the visitor has almost zero probability of having covid, no further tracking is needed.

The protesters need to get these idiots out of power as soon as possible.

1 hour ago, ggobkk said:

Hmmm...Smartband will track blood pressure.  Congratulations - Apple hasn't found a way to offer this service on its health apps.  

I'm no techie by a long shot but monitoring blood pressure on a watch band type device challenges the imagination.

6 hours ago, reader said:

Details, as usual, are sketchy and there is no clarification where the smartband is given to the tourists, if it’s compulsory to wear or who pays for it.

Key operative words: "Details, as usual, are sketchy..."

Nary a day passes that we don't see some new idea that will do little or nothing to attract foreign tourists.  Chalk up one more.

On 11/2/2020 at 1:10 AM, reader said:

I'm no techie by a long shot but monitoring blood pressure on a watch band type device challenges the imagination

I wonder why. For about ten years I have had a small Japanese made wristband that measures my blood pressure and pulse. Admittedly it is not a watch but could be attached to one. After I press start, it takes about 20 seconds to come up with the readings. Understandably it does lightly squeeze the wrist for a few moments. I once took it to a hospital so I could  check the readings against professional equipment. They were remarkably similar.

38 minutes ago, PeterRS said:

I wonder why. For about ten years I have had a small Japanese made wristband that measures my blood pressure and pulse. Admittedly it is not a watch but could be attached to one. After I press start, it takes about 20 seconds to come up with the readings. Understandably it does lightly squeeze the wrist for a few moments. I once took it to a hospital so I could  check the readings against professional equipment. They were remarkably similar.

You probably have to ask apple for that. Samsung watch 3 does have blood pressure monitor too, so does few more brands, u can google it. Although it does require a callibration with a blood pressure cuff. 

From The Thaiger

Hotels reluctant to apply for ASQ status due to cap on tourist arrivals

With the number of foreign arrivals who can enter Thailand on the special tourist visa limited to just 1,200 a month, hotel owners say they’re reluctant to go to the trouble of applying for alternative state quarantine status.

Hoteliers say a lack of tourists in sufficient numbers, coupled with the number of quarantine facilities already in existence, means the investment required to gain ASQ approval isn’t worth it.

Bangkok currently has 103 hotels approved as ASQ properties. A further 30 hotels in Pattaya, Phuket, Prachin Buri, Surat Thani and Buri Ram are ready to operate as alternative local state quarantine facilities.

Sweden joined the list of approved countries to enter the Kingdom for tourism. Not just STV but normal tourist visa, still need insurance and bank minimum. COE also required and limited flights. Not easy but more to be added,

i for one will wait to a more normal state whenever that is.

From Coconuts Bangkok

Thailand cuts quarantine time for only 6 nationalities

Arrivals from countries deemed low risk – China, Vietnam, Taiwan, South Korea, Australia and New Zealand – will only have to quarantine 10 days after the plan wins approval, Kiattiphum Wongrajit of the Public Health Ministry said.

The original plan was to reduce quarantine for all arrivals, but it went over poorly with the public. For now, everyone else will still have to do the full 14 days. 

Kiattiphum added that visitors who have completed quarantine will be required to use a tracking device and check in by phone.

The permanent secretary said tourists would only be allowed to travel to approved provinces based on how effective they are in disease control – and how willing their residents. Ten provinces are loosely planned for now, including Chonburi and Buriram. All will be proposed for later approval by the COVID-19 task force. 

43 minutes ago, reader said:

From Coconuts Bangkok

Arrivals from countries deemed low risk – China, Vietnam, Taiwan, South Korea, Australia and New Zealand – will only have to quarantine 10 days after the plan wins approval, Kiattiphum Wongrajit of the Public Health Ministry said.

Total quarantine for round trip:

China:    10 + 14 = 24 days

Taiwan:  10 + 14 = 24 days

South Korea:  10 + 14 = 24 days

Australia:  10 +14 = 24 days

The 24 day quarantine requirement would severely reduce the number of tourists likely to arrive from these countries.  

I would imagine most people in full time employment would not consider using 24 days of their annual holiday allowance in quarantine.   Particularly in countries where it's necessary to serve the sentence at a quarantine centre, which I believe include China and Australia.

They need a wider list of countries to generate any kind of tourist volume.    Also, I believe Australia has near zero cases at present, so a testing regime ought to be sufficient for inbound visitors on direct flights ?

If the origin country allow for home quarantine, and the company allow for working from home, it seems doable. Singapore and malaysia had agreement for short term business traveller to self quarantine 7 days at home prior to travel, and 7 days at destination after arrival which i find much more tolerable. Too bad as of now, this only valid for work/business and not for tourist. 

5 minutes ago, spoon said:

If the origin country allow for home quarantine, and the company allow for working from home, it seems doable. Singapore and malaysia had agreement for short term business traveller to self quarantine 7 days at home prior to travel, and 7 days at destination after arrival which i find much more tolerable. Too bad as of now, this only valid for work/business and not for tourist. 

That's correct, but since neither China nor Australia allow for home quarantine, they are not going to generate a high volume of tourists from the countries listed.

Incidentally, if Thailand guaranteed a decent broadband service at the quarantine hotels, they might attract a few more work from home visitors, who could spend their entire quarantine period working, then take holiday when the quarantine ends.

1 hour ago, reader said:

it's like applying band aid for severe malnutrition

From The Thaiger

No-quarantine travel bubble with China?

With no new Special Tourist Visa applications for November, the Thai government is considering a no-quarantine travel bubble plan with China. Officials hope that if approved, the scheme could be put into operation in time for Chinese New Year in February. China currently has 22 low-risk provinces, as they have not recorded a Covid-19 case in over 150 days.

The Bangkok Post reports that the Tourism and Sports Minister, Phiphat Ratchakitprakarn, will hold talks at the Chinese embassy, where the countries’ foreign ministries will discuss next steps. A joint travel bubble plan would then require final approval from PM Prayut Chan-o-cha and his Chinese counterpart, President Xi Jinping.

Thai officials are also turning their attention to Switzerland, hoping to attract long-stay Swiss tourists on non-immigrant O-A retirement visas. Also being discussed is the possibility of using golfing resorts as alternative local state quarantine facilities, thereby providing guests with a golfing holiday while in quarantine. It’s hoped such a move might attract golfers from places like Japan, South Korea, Taiwan, and China, who would normally spend a few of their winter months training in Thailand.

Tourists from the UK, the USA and Europe can now apply?

NOTE -- There are multiple reports of special visas now being offered for 60-90 days to foreigners. Some reports say that the UK, US and EU are included. Others don't go that far. A short time ago I checked the Royal Thai consulate website in Washington and an updated note said that US residents were not currently among those eligible.  Some Scandinavian countries have been identified as eligible in other news accounts. Only an article from the Thai Examiner indicated that UK, US and EU residents could apply. The only way to find out for sure is to contact the Thai consulate in your country (you'll probably have to do it my email because it's difficult to reach anyone by phone unless you know a specific extension number). However, I would not get your hopes up due to the sketchy news accounts.

Extracted from the Thai Examiner

Thailand’s Tourism Authority has announced a more relaxed regime from the Ministry of Foreign Affairs as reports emerge that Royal Thai Embassies in western countries have begun to allow tourists from the United States, the UK and Europe to apply for tourist visas with stiff entry requirements including showing funds of ฿500,000 for the previous six months. The news comes as the tourism industry, on its last legs, is contemplating the real prospect of a complete wipeout for the critical high season and at the same time as it is reported that the Thai PM has rejected a shorter quarantine period being proposed.

Despite the positive news, in the last 72 hours, of a successful vaccine from international pharmaceutical giant Pfizer, Thailand’s tourism industry remains effectively shut to the mass levels of tourism urgently required to stave off collapse of its tottering tourism industry.

On Tuesday, in response to persistent demands from regular visitors to Thailand from western countries, in past years, during high season, the Tourism Authority of Thailand announced what it termed relaxed conditions for visitors seeking tourist visas through Thai Embassies and consulates worldwide and ultimately, the Ministry of Foreign Affairs.

Ms Thapanee Kiatphaibool, the Executive Director for Tourism Products told the media that Thailand’s tourism sector is beginning to recover as the government aims to safely open up the kingdom. 

It is understood that the top tourism official, Ms Thapanee, may be referring to the news, in recent days from the United Kingdom and the United States where tourist visas are now being made available to potential travellers from what are still highly infected countries.

Notices on embassy websites suggest that the entry criteria, for those applying, are demanding including confirmation of a bank balance of at least ฿500,000 supported by copy bank statements for six months.

The most popular visa option is a 60-day visa which can be extended for up to 90 days when in Thailand. A 30 day visa option is reported as currently suspended.

Previous estimates for the much-heralded Special Tourist Visa were for 1,200 visitors per month while government sources, this week, indicated that for the first five days in November, a total 1,465 foreigners had entered the country including those with strong links to Thailand who are effectively returning home.

The Special Tourist Visa is still limited to visitors from safe listed countries that are published by Thailand’s Ministry of Public Health every 15 days.

36 minutes ago, spoon said:

Only usd16k in bank? Thats not unreasonable at all. 

Agreed.    Bear in mind that 14 day quarantine should filter out everyone who might go for a short holiday.   

So Thailand is probably targetting people who want to go for 60~90 days.    So the budget needs to be quite a few thousand for that.     Then, with a gradual reopening of tourism, they probably want to target people who might spend more.

Admittedly, if they are looking for big spenders, perhaps those with a high income and still almost no money in the bank might a better place to look.

The only other question is whether they should include other liquid assets as well as bank balances.