floridarob

When will Thailand open to Tourists- question/speculation?

45 minutes ago, floridarob said:

Still holding onto my Dec ticket ......I only go for usually 2 weeks Thailand and 2 weeks Bali, a little less than 2 months away, a lot can happen in 2 months....look at the USA, something new EVERY DAY, lol

Well, I hope this works out for you, but with my limited imagination, I foresee they might lift restrictions enough for you to get 2 weeks of quarantine in Thailand and for variety, 2 weeks of different quarantine in Bali.      Hoping I'm wrong.

If you're based in Florida, at least your winter at home should be better than the UK.

13 hours ago, floridarob said:

Still holding onto my Dec ticket ......I only go for usually 2 weeks Thailand and 2 weeks Bali, a little less than 2 months away, a lot can happen in 2 months....look at the USA, something new EVERY DAY, lol

I'm still holding into past Jun ticket, fortunately airline extended it's validity  till end of 2021.

16 hours ago, floridarob said:

I live in Mexico these days.....Brasil is available, I'll be there next week ;)

I'd be considering a winter trip to one of those two countries right now, if their Covid infection rates were lower, or if I'd already had the disease. 

From Khaosod English

No Refunds: Gov’t Delays ‘Special Tourist Visas’ 2 Days Before Launch

PHUKET  — The special visa would allow tourists to visit Thailand during the coronavirus pandemic was delayed indefinitely just 48 hours before it was supposed  to come into effect. 

Officials on Phuket, the tourist island slated to be the experimental ground for the visas, said on Tuesday preparations for receiving foreign tourists are not completed in time. A tourism agency chief confirmed the news on Wednesday, adding that the group of 300 Chinese tourists and businessmen who were scheduled to arrive in Thailand tomorrow would no longer be admitted due to the delay.

The government will not offer them any refunds for flights, accommodation, insurance, and other fees they already paid for the Special Tourist Visas, or STV, since the delay is not officially considered as a cancellation of the policy. 

“It’s part of the conditions of the STV that they had to pay first,” Tourism Authority of Thailand governor Yuthasak Supasorn said by phone. “So, there’s no need for those refunds, because their trip is not cancelled, it’s just delayed.”

It is unclear how much the would-be visitors paid for their flights and stays in Thailand. Officials previously said the group of 300 Chinese would be holidaying in the Kingdom for months. 

“The batch of tourists expected for tomorrow can’t come because we haven’t worked out all the details to receive them,” Narit Kanjanopas, Ministry of Tourism and Sport spokesman said Wednesday by phone.

But Yuthasak the tourism authority director said he’s confident the special visa will be implemented later this month after all necessary measures are in place. According to government reports, the next batch of tourists under the special visa program are also expected to arrive on Oct. 21 from Europe. 

“They will come within October for sure,” Yuthasak  said. 

The TAT governor clearly has no idea how to treat his customers & should be fired.  Or better still given a severe beating, then fired.

Any delay of more than a few hours should trigger immediate refund offers.  

Also, he needs to realize that in the real world, people have jobs and businesses, so cannot always reschedule holidays on the whim of some incompetent government apparatchik.    

They haven't even offered a proper explanation for the delay.   Saying they haven't worked out how to receive them is crazy.     Even I can do that.  

1  Check their ID upon arrival in the normal way.

2  Bus them to the approved quarantine.   

3 Re-check IDs upon arrival at quarantine.

4 Let them out of captivity 14 days later.

The alternative explanation is also daft.  Seems they don't want to discourage Thais from visiting Phuket for the Vegetarian festival.

Now, as the 300 Chinese tourists would be safely locked up in quarantine for the majority of that time, why would any rational person be scared of visiting Phuket ?         A more rational approach would be to show some integrity and honour the booking for the 300 tourists, whilst reminding the Thai population of the quarantine & testing measures that will be applied for the visitors.  Also mention the low claimed covid infection rates in China.  

7 hours ago, z909 said:

The alternative explanation is also daft.  Seems they don't want to discourage Thais from visiting Phuket for the Vegetarian festival.

Now, as the 300 Chinese tourists would be safely locked up in quarantine for the majority of that time, why would any rational person be scared of visiting Phuket ?         A more rational approach would be to show some integrity and honour the booking for the 300 tourists, whilst reminding the Thai population of the quarantine & testing measures that will be applied for the visitors.  Also mention the low claimed covid infection rates in China.  

Of course I fully agree with you. All I can say or think of is - TiT

From Bangkok Post

Medical chief backs reopening

The director-general of the Department of Medical Services is backing the proposal to reopen the country to revitalise the virus-battered economy.

Dr Somsak Akksilp said that not only was Thailand well prepared for a second wave of Covid-19 but that maintaining zero local infections was an unrealistic target since it was still not known when a vaccine would become available.

"We cannot afford to maintain zero cases forever," Dr Somsak said. "We need to reopen the country. The country must move forward and people have jobs to do.

"This means we may have to see a small number of infections but if we work together to prevent them, the country will be able to achieve a balance between public health and the economy."

Sophon Mekthon, chairman of the Government Pharmaceutical Organisation (GPO), said that it had ensured enough supplies of face masks, N95 masks and personal protective equipment (PPE) in the event of a second wave of Covid-19 -- and more could now be produced locally.

In particular, the GPO had been working with the Thai Textile Manufacturing Association and the Department of Science Service to make high-quality equipment, Dr Sophon pointed out.

Opas Karnkawinpong, acting director-general of the Department of Disease Control (DDC), said it had about 1,000 rapid investigation teams and planned to triple the number.

The aim was to control any further waves of infections within three to four weeks, reduce the death rate to below 1.4% and increase each province's ability to deal with Covid-19, Dr Opas said.

Interior Minister Anupong Paojinda, meanwhile, pointed out that the mandatory quarantine period for tourists was still 14 days and had not yet been reduced to 10 days since further studies were needed.

Dr Akksilp seems to show a lot of common sense, which is absent in certain leaders (in many countries).   

Firstly Thailand did not suffer rampant spread of covid even when tourists were coming in from places like China and Italy early in 2020.   

So if they reopen the country with some sensible quarantine and/or testing regime, the risk should be minimal.

By sensible, I mean including only the restrictions necessary to reduce the risk of covid spread and no other half baked rules.   

So have on line applications for a 180 day visa, NO rules about the type of flight, NO prepayments beyond a quarantine period, NO proof of finances etc etc.

This becomes more ridiculous by the hour.

From Bangkok Post

First batch of arrivals via the special tourist visa scheme must be 100% clear of Covid-19

The entire batch of tourists coming to Thailand via the special tourist visa (STV) in the first phase must be 100% clear of the coronavirus or the reopening plan will be scrapped indefinitely, says Phiphat Ratchakitprakarn, the tourism and sports minister.

He said that if the scheme sees no infections for the first groups in October and November, fears about a local spread will subside.

"Before we approach the second stage on Nov 17, which aims to shorten the quarantine period, we must evaluate the first phase," Mr Phiphat said. "If there's even a single case, we cannot continue to the second phase."

Mr Phiphat said he would like to propose a 7+7 plan where tourists are kept in their room for seven days, then allowed outside the room but still within the hotel area for another seven days.

So no one in China applied ?       Why didn't TAT just say that, rather than making up a few lies as they were going along  ?    Also, saying there will be no refunds, which is damaging to their reputation.

If no one applied, I'm very pleased, as it means they might have to work a bit harder and come up with a better scheme.:jig:

Also, if true, it would suggest the Thai government position is not quite as anti-tourism as was implied by the cancellation of the STD (sorry STV).

Example Better Scheme:

1  Apply for up to 180 day visa online.  Issue visa by e-mail.

2 Fly to Thailand, wearing face mask.

3 Secure bus direct to 14 quarantine hotel.      Any approved quarantine hotel, which must be pre-booked.

As for a 7+7 rule, I expect this is aimed at hotels with decent facilities like pools, gyms etc.   In such a case, it would surely make quarantine much more bearable.     However, it would presumably also introduce some enforcement risk, since the hotel needs to work out which people are entitled to leave their rooms and enforce it.   There has to be a risk of standards sliding, so I would have thought it would be safer to change hotels after 7 days.

Then with the 7+7 rule, what happens if someone fails a covid test during the second 7 days ?     If free mixing of people is allowed, then presumably everyone should have to start quarantine again ?    That's the only logical conclusion.   

Finally, making decisions to stop future batches if there is one case in the first batch is crazy.   Their sample size is insufficient for making decisions.   Besides, they regularly catch cases of returning Thai nationals with covid and the quarantine is effective in preventing general transmission.

Yet another alternative to the alternative travel scheme from the folks who brought you the original Special Tourist Visa.

From Bangkok Post

Looser quarantine eyed

The Ministry of Public Health has proposed a new type of Alternative State Quarantine (ASQ) that will allow short-term visitors to travel to designated areas during their 14-quarantine period in some selected provinces.

Director-general of the Health Service Support Department, Thares Krassanairawiwong, said a new type of ASQ was being discussed for short-term visitors in the provinces ready to reopen.

This type of ASQ would allow tourists to travel to designated areas during the 14-day quarantine period instead of confining themselves to hotel premises, the doctor said.

The new ASQ will come with terms and conditions to be discussed between government units and entrepreneurs.

People in each of the provinces must be informed of the new ASQ and approve of it, the official said.

Foreign visitors must accept travel routes set by the provinces and must not veer off course. Most importantly, they must come from countries with low Covid-19 risk and no local infections for three months, Dr Thares said.

Tourists must test negative for the virus in 72 hours prior to departure and stay in home quarantine for 14 days before leaving their country. They must also book flights and accommodation through travel agents.

The provinces which are ready to reopen must make sure that routes for foreign visitors will not be used by local residents. Recommended activities for tourists include wellness tourism activities such as massage, spa and gastronomic tours.

Hotels where they can stay must be hotels with SHA (Safety and Health Administration) standards, the doctor said.

The areas where foreign tourists can visit will be fixed, he said.

They are required to use tracking devices with representatives of agencies responding to Covid-19 travelling with them at all times.

15 hours ago, Boy69 said:

No one in Guangzhou applied for the Special Tourist Visa, Foreign Ministry

https://thethaiger.com/hot-news/visa/no-one-in-guangzhou-applied-for-the-special-tourist-visa

Love it! So the money they didnt actually pay wont actually be returned to them. I can see a bit of Thai logic to the earlier public pronouncements.

They seem to have got their priorities wrong here.

#1 Priority is to remove all the silly rules and restrictions surrounding the STV.    Just keep the quarantine & ditch all the other inconvenient restrictions, fees etc.

#2 Investigate how to shorten quarantine, based on data.   For instance, once they have had >>10,000 people visiting, check when the tests actually detected covid in quarantined visitors.   Then adjust the quarantine period down based on data.   Or have the second week of quarantine in a resort hotel, with no restriction on movements outside within the hotel grounds.

On the other hand, shortening the quarantine period whilst keeping all the other stupid restrictions isn't going to work.   Not many of us will want to pre-pay for 90 days accommodation for instance, particularly when we don't trust the authorities to let us into the country.

2 hours ago, z909 said:

They seem to have got their priorities wrong here.

their priority is not to let virus into country and nothing wrong with that.

Place where they are lost is how to stick to that priority and keep economy humming along before idle masses  will get desperate.

41 minutes ago, vinapu said:

their priority is not to let virus into country and nothing wrong with that.

That might be the priority, but an awful lot of the STV rules have nothing to do with the virus.

Things like quarantine, testing and wearing a mask on the plane make complete sense.

Most of the other requirements make no sense at all.   For instance, can anyone tell me how pre-booking 90 days accommodation would reduce virus transmission ?    

If they want to restart tourism safely, the obvious thing is to review their STV rules and delete every single rule that does not have a direct influence on covid transmission.     Then just focus on the rules that do influence covid tranmission & make sure they are followed.