young11

AirBnb in RIO, can I bring a boy?

• Members

It seems hotels in Brazil require all visitors to be registered. So to avoid it, I thought I could rent an Airbnb apartment but most places say 24h doorman. Does it mean that I would have a problem with bringing boys to my Airbnb? I want to keep it low....Any experiences?

• Members

the doorman is for your safety.  it also makes sense to give to doorman a tip once or twice during your stay.

whoever comes with you, is welcome no questions asked.

however 2 comments:  meet outside, and be sure that you feel safe witha guy that you invite to your place. and 2. do not bring mora than 2, ok maybe 3 guests at one time.  i am not sure, that would be ok, if you make a big party with 10 guests at 3 in the morning.

i usually do not tell my guests that we go to appartment. i tell them that we go to hotel, and then change. it makes less possible that they would come with stupid ideas to hotel, where they have to register.

• Members

First off I would ask the host before you book do they allow you to have a friend over for dinner. I always ask this so that it's not an issue to have a guest visit. 

Most of the apartment doorman don't care if you bring a guest. If you look confident that this person should be here.

Make sure you secure valuables as there's a greater risk in an apt versus a hotel. In fact, some Airbnb apartments have safes as well so look into those.

Guest bobbalino

I suggest you google "Airbnb and overnight guests" for some perspectives. Pay attention to the host's house-rules manual. A brief time frame guest, for a few hours, would not constitute cheating the system.

Or I would book for 2 guests in "entire place" tier upfront even if it is a little pricier. That way you will not be accused of cheating the host financially if you have an overnight guest, and in the rare event of a problem the Airbnb insurance policy has the formal record of 2 guests ... the 2nd person does not have a formal guest profile as the host typically only needs the booking guest's, but at least your ass is a little better covered, well, in that regard hehe.

Or have an excuse at the ready, such as your guest missed the last metro ... the subway does tend to shut down early-ish.

I use Airbnb in Brazil all the time but have had no occasion to entertain a garoto, but I do not think I would have been c-blocked. Be aware that some hosts are more tied into the doorman for info, "insider tracking", etc, and that a host may be subject to condominium declaration of co-ownership rules and regs that trickle down to you.

There is one scenario that I think could be tricky: the doorman has a little informal chat with you and your guest in which it becomes apparent that you are the odd man out language-wise. I would expect that might get back to your host. Also, your host might be staying in the same building.

Finally, I would expect a guest to comply with my request that I photograph his ID, explaining I may be grilled about having had someone over and you should at the very least be able to produce his full name. If he wants to make the date happen, I would be cautious and red-flag if he balks. 

Guest bobbalino

One more thing: I have stayed in Airbnb apts in Brazil where it became apparent upon arrival that it was combined hotel/condo, so might be stricter screening.

• Members
On 12/13/2016 at 4:26 AM, trzinko said:

the doorman is for your safety.  it also makes sense to give to doorman a tip once or twice during your stay.

whoever comes with you, is welcome no questions asked.

however 2 comments:  meet outside, and be sure that you feel safe witha guy that you invite to your place. and 2. do not bring mora than 2, ok maybe 3 guests at one time.  i am not sure, that would be ok, if you make a big party with 10 guests at 3 in the morning.

i usually do not tell my guests that we go to appartment. i tell them that we go to hotel, and then change. it makes less possible that they would come with stupid ideas to hotel, where they have to register.

...and regardless as to how honest your guest/s look-- keep "ALL VALUABLES" out of sight" and hidden.  I, myself, have not had any problems with my guests, but I know others who have been ripped off by trusting his guest/s!

Guest bobbalino

Good advice from posters above. I forgot to mention that Airbnb hosts often leave small handy things in the unit for guests, for example Apple device chargers in the wall outlets, extra keys hanging around (sometimes on a hook by the door, for guests to have as spares) ... things you might not notice missing but the host will know have disappeared. And if the door to the unit is a number code format, don't let others see it or discover it on a paper note, etc. Obvious precautions that may get sidelined when the blood oxygen from your big head is transferring to your less bigly head.

I have been stating at apartments/airbnb since 2009 when i stopped staying in hotels in Rio, have never had a 1) a Problem 2) never been asked anything by the doorman or had him questionnanyone i invited 3) never had anything stolen 4) Usually there are 3 - 4 or occassionly 5 Guys with me! BUT the ones i invite to stay overnight i have met on several occassions first at the saunas!

• Members
On 12/16/2016 at 8:59 PM, bobbalino said:

Welcome ... your appreciation will be even more tangibly worthwhile via a posted review here following your trip. 

updated my experiences in SP in sauna thread. I will update the airbnb thing once i finish my trip

On 12/13/2016 at 6:14 AM, young11 said:

It seems hotels in Brazil require all visitors to be registered. So to avoid it, I thought I could rent an Airbnb apartment but most places say 24h doorman. Does it mean that I would have a problem with bringing boys to my Airbnb? I want to keep it low....Any experiences?

I have stayed in apartments and mainly hotels in Copacabana....never had any guys card or checked out except one time...

If they simply come into the hotel like they know where they are going, there should not be a problem

The only time a doorman will request ID at an apartment if that is the norm....A way to get around that is to greet your guest downstairs or just bring them in with you....

The point of renting the apartment/AirBnB is for discretion...

If you are not well versed in the norms and practices of Rio, it may be best to just stick with the saunas....

My apt does not have a doorman but it has 3 locked doors! The first one from the street to enter the bldg. the second to enter my section of the bldg. and the third to enter my apt on the third floor! I feel very safe but the bldg diesnt pay for a doorman and also after 11:00 pm it takes two separate keys to unlock the door from the street!

15 minutes ago, Tomcal said:

My apt does not have a doorman but it has 3 locked doors! The first one from the street to enter the bldg. the second to enter my section of the bldg. and the third to enter my apt on the third floor! I feel very safe but the bldg diesnt pay for a doorman and also after 11:00 pm it takes two separate keys to unlock the door from the street!

All of your guests are normally with you or have no problems being let in and up to the apartment right?

Rio is similar to the states where is somebody looks like they may be out of place or dont belong, then they will be questioned...

I have had no issues with guys visiting but I also didnt start out going to Rio inviting random guys to come over to hang out....

I strongly suggest that unless you speak Portuguese OR feel extremely comfortable to not invite anybody back to your place while in Rio

I agree! It a case of "do as i say not what i do!" Lol. I have never had a problem and we are talking 100's of guys but i am not dumb, nothing of value is accessible!

The last few years the guys i have over i know well and have no problem leaving them sleep in, for example while i go to the grocery store or in the evening head to a sauna while they visit with friends or watch TV!  Again it depends on a combination of your astuteness, level of comfortability and how well you know the guys! 

Guest bobbalino

One more thing about etiquette airbnb lobbies:

I got knuckles rapped for zipping out topless on a hot early morn to cardio on the beach walk. Nobody but concierge.

My superhost told me most resort hotels are OK with it, within reason, if directly on a beach. But residential condo corporations do not like it.

Makes sense ... keep your tits in your LuluLemons and restrict dog shits to the streets.

• Members
5 hours ago, bobbalino said:

One more thing about etiquette airbnb lobbies:

I got knuckles rapped for zipping out topless on a hot early morn to cardio on the beach walk. Nobody but concierge.

My superhost told me most resort hotels are OK with it, within reason, if directly on a beach. But residential condo corporations do not like it.

Makes sense ... keep your tits in your LuluLemons and restrict dog shits to the streets.

The condos and apartment buildings, even the ones on the beach, do not go for tenants and visitors dressed in swimwear coming through the main lobby doors -- if it can be prevented. They will ask you to go through a side entrance / service entrance or put some clothes on. It's a cultural thing. This even happened to me in Salvador and Recife.

• Members
15 minutes ago, SolaceSoul said:

The condos and apartment buildings, even the ones on the beach, do not go for tenants and visitors dressed in swimwear coming through the main lobby doors -- if it can be prevented. They will ask you to go through a side entrance / service entrance or put some clothes on. It's a cultural thing. This even happened to me in Salvador and Recife.

@SolaceSoul : I agree, despite the impression that many may get from this board middle and upper-middle class Latin culture is still very conservative in public and is all about showing face and maintaining status.  

Guest bobbalino

I will have to get up to Polanco and down to Coyoacan - San Angel later this year. I paced myself out of some 'not to be missed'.