Tomasian

What's Rio like in May? Help needed by first timer

• Members

I used (and recommend) Uber at all times of the day and night in Rio and Sao Paulo. Always cheaper than a regular taxi in both cities. If you don't speak Portuguese, entering your destination in the app also makes sure you avoid any confusion about where you are going.

When you asked about the bracelet thing, I thought you were talking about bars, rather than saunas. In Rio, there truly are not many gay bars. The Week is fun on Saturdays (but they use a card instead of a bracelet), and I definitely recommend TV bar on Thursdays for their event called HOLE, which is a live sex show where you are invited to participate...literally anyone can touch/suck/finger the performers, who spend about 15 minutes sucking and fucking each other on stage, starting around 12:30/1:00 AM, until they cum. After the performance, the customers disappear behind the curtains that are put up for this event, and a lot of cocksucking ensues. The "bracelet thing" happens more in Sao Paulo (and maybe in straight bars in Rio...I have no interest, and thus no experience in this area). The way it works is this: you decide when you enter whether you want to simply pay the cover fee (entrada), or if you would rather do what they call "consumação", or consumption. If you want to pay the cover, they will put a bracelet on you with your individual number, and you will pay the fee when you leave (plus any additional fees if you decide during your stay that you want to buy something after all). If you want to do consumação, it is still tied to your bracelet number, but the cover fee is higher...BUT you don't have to pay it as long as you purchase/consume beverages/other items that total at least the amount of the entrance, which is often about double the price of the cover fee. It was a little difficult for me to understand the system initially, but it basically means that nobody goes in for free. At The Eagle in Sao Paulo, for instance, you may pay the equivalent of $5 USD for the entry, or $10 for the consumação fee (equivalent to about two drinks). If you do consumação, and you have two drinks, when you leave, you simply pay for the drinks you had (so, nothing additional for the cover fee...you consumed enough to cover your entry fee). If you do entrada, and you purchase nothing additional, then you simply pay the cover fee when you leave. I enjoy drinks when I'm at a bar, so I did consumação each time, and I was never disappointed in my choice. The only oddity is you really do have to decide before you enter which option you want to choose.

• Members
23 hours ago, Tomasian said:

Thanks Riobard, so helpful.  I think ill take your advice and use Uber from the airport. I wont be exchanging any local currency at the airport as i learned my lesson from my previous travels. I wont buy a sim card 'cause my phone will be on international roaming.

I would suggest getting a few hundred dollars in reals at your bank in Australia before arriving. That way you have some in case of an emergency. 

Also make sure you know which atms work best for your bank. I tended to use Citibank. I was also able to get a separate global card that sheilded by other accounts so that of it was spoofed at a foreign atm my money was safe. 

• Members
On 17/04/2018 at 3:56 PM, wncdemcub said:

I would suggest getting a few hundred dollars in reals at your bank in Australia before arriving. That way you have some in case of an emergency. 

Also make sure you know which atms work best for your bank. I tended to use Citibank. I was also able to get a separate global card that sheilded by other accounts so that of it was spoofed at a foreign atm my money was safe. 

Thanks. I got myself R1200 because where I bought it from won't sell less than AUD500 worth of reals. I also got a global card (and a spare one in case the other one is lost).

• Members
On 17/04/2018 at 8:50 AM, torogen said:

I used (and recommend) Uber at all times of the day and night in Rio and Sao Paulo. Always cheaper than a regular taxi in both cities. If you don't speak Portuguese, entering your destination in the app also makes sure you avoid any confusion about where you are going.

When you asked about the bracelet thing, I thought you were talking about bars, rather than saunas. In Rio, there truly are not many gay bars. The Week is fun on Saturdays (but they use a card instead of a bracelet), and I definitely recommend TV bar on Thursdays for their event called HOLE, which is a live sex show where you are invited to participate...literally anyone can touch/suck/finger the performers, who spend about 15 minutes sucking and fucking each other on stage, starting around 12:30/1:00 AM, until they cum. After the performance, the customers disappear behind the curtains that are put up for this event, and a lot of cocksucking ensues. The "bracelet thing" happens more in Sao Paulo (and maybe in straight bars in Rio...I have no interest, and thus no experience in this area). The way it works is this: you decide when you enter whether you want to simply pay the cover fee (entrada), or if you would rather do what they call "consumação", or consumption. If you want to pay the cover, they will put a bracelet on you with your individual number, and you will pay the fee when you leave (plus any additional fees if you decide during your stay that you want to buy something after all). If you want to do consumação, it is still tied to your bracelet number, but the cover fee is higher...BUT you don't have to pay it as long as you purchase/consume beverages/other items that total at least the amount of the entrance, which is often about double the price of the cover fee. It was a little difficult for me to understand the system initially, but it basically means that nobody goes in for free. At The Eagle in Sao Paulo, for instance, you may pay the equivalent of $5 USD for the entry, or $10 for the consumação fee (equivalent to about two drinks). If you do consumação, and you have two drinks, when you leave, you simply pay for the drinks you had (so, nothing additional for the cover fee...you consumed enough to cover your entry fee). If you do entrada, and you purchase nothing additional, then you simply pay the cover fee when you leave. I enjoy drinks when I'm at a bar, so I did consumação each time, and I was never disappointed in my choice. The only oddity is you really do have to decide before you enter which option you want to choose.

You're right, the bars uses cards not bracelet. I've read too many info that I mixing things up a little bit. The Thursday event at the TV Bar sound exciting. I'll make sure to check it out. and write a story.

• Members
On 16/04/2018 at 1:33 AM, sanddunes said:

All your daytrips sound good - if you have time, you should check out Forte Duque de Caixas on the Northern end of Copacabana.  It is about a 20 minute hike to the top and the views are amazing.  Also, one of my favorite things to do in Rio is hiking Dois Irmãos (about a 1 hour hike, not particulary difficult). 

Some other places to check out if you have time are Jardim Botanico, Parque Lage, Rodrigo de Freitas lagoon (you can rent a bike for cheap and bike around the lagoon) and also go to Fort Copacabana (nice restaraunts and good photo ops)

Buzios is a nice day trip.  I don’t recommend Petropolis as much, although the Royal Palace is interesting.

Most hotels have a soccer game package at Maracana stadium for about 150 reals. They are fun and interesting to go to at least once.  

There is a free walking tour of the Centro that meets outside the downtown metro stop a few days a week.  The Centro has a lot of historic buildings and the walking tour was interesting and about 2 or 3 hours (also goes to Escleron steps and Lapa)

There is not much gay nightlife in Copacabana, which is puzzling.  The only options are TV bar and Galeria, both of which are underwhelming...The Week is only on Saturdays and is pretty far from Copa.

Sorry sanddunes I was late replying to your post. I will be going to Fort Copacabana as part of my photoshoot. I like saying that it makes me sound like supermodel (hahaha). I also checked the free walking tour which I found out isn't really free because you have to tip the host (?). Have you done any of those? If so what's the minimum tip?

Also I received an email from Brazil Expedition saying they cannot accept my booking (for both The Big Dude and The Favela tours) because I am alone and that they prefer a group of more than one person. They did ask me to email them again close to my arrival in Rio and they'll let me know if they can accommodate me. I'm a bit disappointed with that.

i guess I'm gonna have to see Cristo Redentor by myself. i'd really like to check out a favela, I wonder if hotels will have information on this?

• Members

There is no minimum tip for the free walking tour, but they suggest 15-20 reals, which is like $6usd.  The guides are usually students and are friendly and informative about life in Brazil.

Not sure what you are hoping to see in the favelas...I went to Rocinha 2 years ago when it was much safer.  I’m not sure if I would go now...

I went through Vidigal the last time I was in Rio to get to Dois Irmaos, and saw the next day there was a huge shoot out with police and drug traffickers going on - so bad that they closed all the roads going in and out of Vidigal.  

• Members
On 4/15/2018 at 12:42 PM, Badboy81 said:

4. Just take the bus that goes into Copa...its cheap, easy to find right outside the airport and air conditioned...

A newbie who knows nothing about the transit system should take a bus from the Rio airport at one or two o'clock in the morning? 

You have got to be kidding! 

• Members
3 hours ago, mvan1 said:

A newbie who knows nothing about the transit system should take a bus from the Rio airport at one or two o'clock in the morning? 

Not to mention, he is traveling alone from Australia! The airport bus is a good option in the morning if you have an extra 90 minutes to spare to get to Zona Sul.

• Members

Tomasian, Re: favela idea ... the heart wants what the heart wants. However, Like JOs, I find a pic'll do. Poor people's slum 'hoods are not the World's Fair. Not a petting zoo. The inhabitants are not suggesting their lives qualify as a spectator sport. I think that their approach to the enterprise is resigned ennui. You 'probably' won't be ducking bullets, but meh.

A DIY visit to Art Deco Dude may be a perfectly fine option. Here is why that always works for me ...

Cloud cover can mist out the view up there, so the 70 reais rack-rail ticket may be wasted while you miss out. You can visually 360 the weather and strike quickly while the iron is hot. Über from hotel or Metro Largo Machado to the base train station in Cosme Velho. I often hoof it from Flamengo districtBest time to avoid long queue is early morning after you check if weather favourable ... I think the first run up is 8-ish with slight seasonal variations. There are often other passengers to get chummy with. DO NOT ambitiously walk down the mountain roadway to the street level. Use return ticket.

Early morning may suit your fucked dateline rhythm anyway. You can easily book ahead at hotel but you hope to stretch your swimmers and heelers.

• Members
On ‎4‎/‎23‎/‎2018 at 12:29 AM, Riobard said:

Tomasian, Re: favela idea ... the heart wants what the heart wants. However, Like JOs, I find a pic'll do. Poor people's slum 'hoods are not the World's Fair. Not a petting zoo. The inhabitants are not suggesting their lives qualify as a spectator sport. I think that their approach to the enterprise is resigned ennui. You 'probably' won't be ducking bullets, but meh.

A DIY visit to Art Deco Dude may be a perfectly fine option. Here is why that always works for me ...

Cloud cover can mist out the view up there, so the 70 reais rack-rail ticket may be wasted while you miss out. You can visually 360 the weather and strike quickly while the iron is hot. Über from hotel or Metro Largo Machado to the base train station in Cosme Velho. I often hoof it from Flamengo districtBest time to avoid long queue is early morning after you check if weather favourable ... I think the first run up is 8-ish with slight seasonal variations. There are often other passengers to get chummy with. DO NOT ambitiously walk down the mountain roadway to the street level. Use return ticket.

Early morning may suit your fucked dateline rhythm anyway. You can easily book ahead at hotel but you hope to stretch your swimmers and heelers.

I am surprised that you suggest to give favela tour a miss. I thought it's one of the must-see in Rio. I'm still considering to see it but I'm having some doubts now. I guess I play it by hear and see how I feel when I get to Brazil. Thanks for the input.

• Members
15 minutes ago, Tomasian said:

I am surprised that you suggest to give favela tour a miss. I thought it's one of the must-see in Rio. I'm still considering to see it but I'm having some doubts now. I guess I play it by hear and see how I feel when I get to Brazil. Thanks for the input.

I used Urban Adventure for my favela tour and I enjoyed it.  They are rated well on tripadvisor. I did it coupled with the Christ the Redemmer & Corcavado. One item to note is that I did it in 2015. http://www.riodejaneirourbanadventures.com/

• Members
1 hour ago, Tomasian said:

Sorry, I just meant it is not my cup of tea. I think there are two camps, those into it and those not. There is rich cultural heritage there. The tours are educational. While these areas are easy to learn about by reading, you may be someone who would enjoy it as a sensory experience.

It is not that I avoid that dimension. I sidle up to the Gamboa rise regularly by the aerial tram station but go no further than the base, though I have a reason to be there unavoidably. I have also been to live, very moving performances of the Maré Youth Orchestra. 

I thought you were possibly foregoing some guided tours and there are many other things to see and sweeping views to be had. Don't let me sway you. You are not alone in keeping it on the bucket list. A lot of things can be done without a formal tour but there may be comfort in a new place picking from the professional excursions available. 

I subscribe to the local news there. It naturally influences my impressions but, like anywhere else, highlights ths bad incidents, eg tensions between neighbourhoods and military police. Nobody can easily drive a truck viciously into a large gathering of people in a favela.

• Members

A favela tour can be quite educational. We talk about the poor and even offer sympathy and money. But rarely do we see life from their view. I was amazed at what I saw and learned on a tour a few years back. I agree that if you are treating it like visiting a petting zoo then it is not a good idea. But go with a desire to know more, even if just about where many of the garotos live.  But I took a small tour led by a private guide. It was very much worth my time.

• Members

A favela tour of a few years ago it's not the same favela tour nowadays. The violence in Rio escaleted exponentially, to the point that is shocking the rest of the country, the federal government adopted security measures never seen before, so far without any effect. Just last month an European tourist got killed by a stray bullet, while doing one of the popular tours with a licensed guide. In the last 2 weeks 14 people got killed at Rocinha favela. The violence seems specially bad at "tourist friendly" favelas of Rio's zona sul (south district). If anyone think this is an exciting experience hopefully it won't exceed the expectations.

• Members

Also aware of the trends and dangers Gotti refers to, they influence my decisions. The woman who died was killed because the patrolling police elected to use the tourist vehicle for target practice when the driver got confused and drove through an ambiguous checkpoint. My greatest fear is buying it prematurely because of someone's sheer stupidity ... poor judgment, someone driving while intexticated, inability to see grey, anything like that. Also, I simply do not know if a community rep is a prepackaged talking head or a more spontaneously recruited addition to the tour. Are they a fundamentalist radical homophobe at the same time they lament the challenges and governmental/societal treatment of the poor? How safe would it be to drill down provocatively, as I am wont to do? The tourist mishap is rare ... that and other factors are filters I employ looking at the menu. 

• Members

Just additional advise, if it was not mentioned yet,  do not use your ATM card to withdraw local currency at the Airport.
Skimming is prevalent in Brazil, you never know, its a risk.  Since its your first time if you need cash just go to Money change for  just $100 and then next day when the bank opens, go inside and withdraw some more cash.  That's what I do, $3 fee charged from my Bank in the US per withdrawal. It's another option for you. Weather in  May sometimes it rain and not too hot. I will be there from May 25 - June 3.  Rio then SP.  Have fun !!

• Members
On 4/24/2018 at 6:59 PM, Tomasian said:

If you still decide to visit a favela, before you go there, download this app on your phone (I assume that you have a smart phone).  You can download the app now from your home location.  

OTT (Onde Tem Tiroteio)

No matter where you live in most other countries, the app will function and send you a notice each and every time a shooting occurs if the shooting is reported to the police in Rio- 

The app will also tell you the time and location (neighborhood) of the shooting.  

You will notice that most of the shootings occur in the favelas.  

After you download the app and wait a day or so, your phone fills with countless alerts.  After you see the actual alerts, you might want to reevaluate if you still want to visit a favela at this time in Rio. 

I suspect the people who told you that seeing a favela is a must, are involved with selling favela tours.  

Yes, even if you are located in Australia, you will receive the alerts.  

Not a pretty picture.  

• Members
On 5/2/2018 at 1:14 PM, mvan1 said:

If you still decide to visit a favela, before you go there, download this app on your phone (I assume that you have a smart phone).  You can download the app now from your home location.  

OTT (Onde Tem Tiroteio)

No matter where you live in most other countries, the app will function and send you a notice each and every time a shooting occurs if the shooting is reported to the police in Rio- 

The app will also tell you the time and location (neighborhood) of the shooting.  

You will notice that most of the shootings occur in the favelas.  

After you download the app and wait a day or so, your phone fills with countless alerts.  After you see the actual alerts, you might want to reevaluate if you still want to visit a favela at this time in Rio. 

I suspect the people who told you that seeing a favela is a must, are involved with selling favela tours.  

Yes, even if you are located in Australia, you will receive the alerts.  

Not a pretty picture.  

Not a pretty picture indeed. I downloaded the app and saw what seems to be shooting incidents reported within half hour intervals in and around Rio. Its in Portuguese so i didnt quite understand but i immediately deleted the app as i find it unsettling. Thanks for that.  

• Members
1 hour ago, Tomasian said:

Not a pretty picture indeed. I downloaded the app and saw what seems to be shooting incidents reported within half hour intervals in and around Rio. Its in Portuguese so i didnt quite understand but i immediately deleted the app as i find it unsettling. Thanks for that.  

I hope that I convinced you to stay out of the favelas at the current time.

As you noticed from the app that you temporarily installed on your phone, there was a shooting reported in Rio about every half hour.  Realistically, how many more shooting do you think happened that did not get reported to the police? 

The favela residents realize there is nothing or very little the police can do to control the violence or the shootings.  Therefore, reporting shooting is an exercise in futility.  Many favela residents do not have a telephone to call the police.  In other words, many shooting do not get reported.  

If it is a company trying to convince you to take a favela tour, employees of such a company should be ashamed of themselves. 

Taking tourists to a dangerous neighborhood just to make money is unforgivable.  

• Members
1 hour ago, mvan1 said:

I hope that I convinced you to stay out of the favelas at the current time.

As you noticed from the app that you temporarily installed on your phone, there was a shooting reported in Rio about every half hour.  Realistically, how many more shooting do you think happened that did not get reported to the police? 

The favela residents realize there is nothing or very little the police can do to control the violence or the shootings.  Therefore, reporting shooting is an exercise in futility.  Many favela residents do not have a telephone to call the police.  In other words, many shooting do not get reported.  

If it is a company trying to convince you to take a favela tour, employees of such a company should be ashamed of themselves. 

Taking tourists to a dangerous neighborhood just to make money is unforgivable.  

After seeing the app, I am quite put off by the idea of visiting a favela now. I realised that the tour operators are mainly residents of favela 'supporting their community'. 

• Members
On 4/22/2018 at 3:04 AM, mvan1 said:

If you want to be SURE to have problems :

- withdraw R$ 1000 from airport ATM. 

- show the notes around and put them in a pocket where they are clearly visible

- open your shirt to be SURE that your golden necklace is also visible

- take any bus at 1 am from airport

- Forget your wallet in the bus with all crédit cards and passport

- Do not only visit a favela for a couple of hours but ask for a B&B for a few nights

• Members

I am currently in Rio. I spent a whole week here. Weather is Perfect. It has been sunshine everyday and temperature are Perfect : from 22 to 28.

At airport I use taxi Comum Aerocoop. The very last booth in front of ATMs. They give you a receipt and you Pay to driver

Screenshot_20180504-171312.thumb.png.c68809f1b5fcf110a594861e00b464a9.png

You pay 82 for Copacabana (98 bandeira 2 = night). Return to GIG is R$ 50 from Copa cheaper than Uber.

If you want to visit Rocinha AYOR I can give you name and phone number of reliable guide. I used him 2 times. He knows everyone in Rocinha. Tour with him was very interesting. If seriously  interested just PM me

Do not withdraw money from Itau with visa card : the card is blocked in the ATM. Impossible to retrieve it. You have to call the call Center in Portuguese. Good luck !!! (to be added To the previous post : how to be SURE to have problems. Best is not call the call Center and leave your card in the ATM)

I am enjoying the saunas and the boys. I have some regulars and made some great discoveries. Many boys are now growing a beard ...

in 18 years of going to Rio i never had a desire to visit the favelas! i could see them on on the hillsides and that’s as close as i ever wanted to be.  But one Friday afternoon during the Pope’s visit a couple years ago, they closed all the access roads in and out of Copa but since i stay in Ipanema it was also a problem. i was going to Meo Mundo so the Taxi driver took me up into the Favela above Ipanema to cross over to get to centro. Once you are in the heart of the favela, you are moving slower then people can walk mostly on 1 car width roads jammed with pedestrians!  this was around 5:00 pm. the taxi driver actually told me to sit low in the back seat so i wouldn’t be so noticeable! that was my first and last favela tour and i saw nothing that i would want to see then or now!  imho

• Members
5 hours ago, pauleiro said:

I am enjoying the saunas and the boys. I have some regulars and made some great discoveries. 

Say hello to Vinicius, Nathan, Pablo etc.from me. I am coming back soon. 

5 hours ago, pauleiro said:

Many boys are now growing a beard ...

Oh no, that is a disaster!

• Members
6 hours ago, pauleiro said:

I am currently in Rio. I spent a whole week here. Weather is Perfect. It has been sunshine everyday and temperature are Perfect : from 22 to 28.

At airport I use taxi Comum Aerocoop. The very last booth in front of ATMs. They give you a receipt and you Pay to driver

Screenshot_20180504-171312.thumb.png.c68809f1b5fcf110a594861e00b464a9.png

I agree about aerocoop for a taxi in Rio from the airport. Uber is also an option if you have the international plan or already have a sim card for Brazil (NOTE: you wont find one in the airport)

Also I use Citibank or Banco do Brasil ATMs.

When I was out I only took what i needed. I have an older cell phone that I use while in brazil. I have a cheaper watch on. I dont carry all my cash or any credit cards in my wallet so that if i  do get mugged Im not out all my cash and credit cards. I use one of those security pouches around my neck or belt. I leave my atm and credit cards back in my room with a safe or hidden.

Are these pain in the ass moves? Sure but thats big city foreign travel for you.