Latbear4blk

SALVADOR, BAHIA, Dec 22 to Jan 3

• Members

I am making decisions. I am abandoning my previous thread and starting this new one. The biggest decision is made, I am going to Salvador. I found a package that includes flight and hotel for les than U$S 2,200. It is an old hotel in Praia da Barra:

http://www.villagenovo.com

Before closing the deal, I wanted to share here to see if anyone has anything horrible to say about this hotel. I understand the location is great.

• Members
5 hours ago, TotallyOz said:

I have not stayed in this hotel but I do love Salvador. There is a sea turtle sanctuary north of the city which is amazing. Try to get some time to wander there if you have time.

I was just checking that. Apparently is about 40 bucks. I am going to make my final decision this week end, and start making reservations afterwards. I am excited. I always wanted to know Afrobrazil, and it is happening!

200.gif

• Members

Latbear4blk-- you might want to see what information is available at tripadvisor.com, www.booking.com, and www.fodors.com.  More than likely some reviews are at each site.  Also, see what's at www.gaycities.com as well.  If I run across some material which I think might be of interest to you, I'll send you a pvt.  [Lastly, try to do a tour of the Old Town, preferably with a local guide.  I visited Bahia twice, liked the Barra area, for my hotels were right across from the water and near that famous lighthouse.  I ventured on my own as well as had my guide join me for events which I did not want to do solo.  One of these days, I do want to revisit the most African part of Brasil!]

• Members
26 minutes ago, axiom2001 said:

Latbear4blk-- you might want to see what information is available at tripadvisor.com, www.booking.com, and www.fodors.com.  More than likely some reviews are at each site.  Also, see what's at www.gaycities.com as well.  If I run across some material which I think might be of interest to you, I'll send you a pvt.  [Lastly, try to do a tour of the Old Town, preferably with a local guide.  I visited Bahia twice, liked the Barra area, for my hotels were right across from the water and near that famous lighthouse.  I ventured on my own as well as had my guide join me for events which I did not want to do solo.  One of these days, I do want to revisit the most African part of Brasil!]

I am doing the whole through trip advisor. I tried Priceline but it would not work for me, the bitch. 

Yes, going to the Pelourinho is going to be one of the first things in my agenda, right after sucking the first Bahiano. 

I am not looking for a luxurious hotel. Hopefully I am not going to spend much time in my room, and when I do, I just need a tough and spacious bed to fuck, I can read and write in the lobby. I like the location of the Village Novo, and I did not see complains about its wifi. Praia Da Barra is just accrues the street, the lighthouse is at walking distance.

It is also going to be my first experience with a warm ocean. I have never been in the Caribbean, the beaches I have experienced around the world were all cold water ones. I want to do the excursion to the turtles shelter and I want to do some research about scuba diving. I am not a beach person, but I am going to push myself out of my comfort zone. 

• Members
38 minutes ago, mrb43 said:

If you have a desire to see the sights outside of the saunas, I recommend Fernando as a tour guide. He made my Salvador experience all the richer.

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g303272-d2098155-Reviews-Fernando_Bingre_Salvador_Tour_Guide-Salvador_State_of_Bahia.html

I would definitely appreciate help to navigate Pelourinho. Can you describe his service more in detail? Does it include night life?

• Members
2 hours ago, Latbear4blk said:

I would definitely appreciate help to navigate Pelourinho. Can you describe his service more in detail? Does it include night life?

Fernando is openly gay. He will do a night life tour (gay or straight) if you just ask. He will also do a sauna tour if you feel you need one.

A bit of a heads up: Salvador gay nightlife isn’t Rio’s or São Paulo’s nightlife. There may be only one mainstream gay club or bar still in existence. If you’re not in the know with locals from the various hoods, your nighttime experience will probably be (and should be) restricted to mainstream well-traveled places.

• Members
33 minutes ago, SolaceSoul said:

Fernando is openly gay. He will do a night life tour (gay or straight) if you just ask. He will also do a sauna tour if you feel you need one.

A bit of a heads up: Salvador gay nightlife isn’t Rio’s or São Paulo’s nightlife. There may be only one mainstream gay club or bar still in existence. If you’re not in the know with locals from the various hoods, your nighttime experience will probably be (and should be) restricted to mainstream well-traveled places.

I will take your advice, @SolaceSoul. Thank you.

• Members

Take note that the new Thermas Club 13 is pinned incorrectly in Google Maps, basically in a dodgier section. However, it was called Blue Space Club in the Spring, and is pinned correctly under that name.

So no need to have a driver go unnecessarily east to swing north and take the club's street one-way west. You can just get out at the new Hotel Diamante or Villa Bahiana restaurant at the corner.

You will not see 13 clearly on Streetview because the bldg has been renovated and the pink privacy walk erected since Google Maps' latest iteration. 

With luck, 11, Fox, and 13 will prove to be a productive trifecta. 

• Members
2 minutes ago, Riobard said:

Take note that the new Thermas Club 13 is pinned incorrectly in Google Maps, basically in a dodgier section. However, it was called Blue Space Club in the Spring, and is pinned correctly under that name.

So no need to have a driver go unnecessarily east to swing north and take the club's street one-way west. You can just get out at the new Hotel Diamante or Villa Bahiana restaurant at the corner.

You will not see 13 clearly on Streetview because the bldg has been renovated and the pink privacy walk erected since Google Maps' latest iteration. 

With luck, 11, Fox, and 13 will prove to be a productive trifecta. 

Thank you so much, mi amigo!

Which ones would be the best times and days for those three saunas, If you do not mind me asking? It would be great to have that info in this thread.

• Members
43 minutes ago, Latbear4blk said:

Which ones would be the best times and days for those three saunas, If you do not mind me asking? It would be great to have that info in this thread.

You're it for updates, unless others know. My last visit goes back 30 months and I tried out the two steadies at the time on only a few select days due to a busy sights schedule, and knowing I would have weeks of down time elsewhere in Brasil where the gay brothels are plentiful.

I find the variables that correlate most with a satisfying time are luck and serene acceptance of reality. Other forum members have different criteria, eg, population density, discounts. The new 13 has minimal info on the WWW, in spite of apparently opening May 2017. The paucity of reviews and the recent name change (new ownership?) perhaps do not augur well. Many working guys would have to invest a lot of local bus travel time to get there. 

Fox was rather a long hike and I did not find what I wanted. 

Clube 11 (at the time P11) was conveniently nearby and consistently yielded more programas than I could keep up with. 

[correction previous post: privacy wall (not walk)]

• Members

Fernando could clue you in on all of the gay happenings in Bahia.  I did not use his services when I was last there because my now deceased gay travel agent had booked Josuel for me, an equally professional and personable guide/individual.  On two occasions he, Josuel, asked me if I had wanted to go to any saunas.  I declined-- for I was saving myself and R$'s for the guys in Rio de janeiro.

* In the meantime I did connect with Fernando via emails and on his FB page.  Two friends of mine did seek and engage his services and were indeed pleased.  To date when one has asked me about a guide in Salvador (Bahia), Brazil-- I recommend him as SolaceSoul had relayed in a previous post here.

* Once I've learned about saunas in an area- I usually have taken myself there; I've used my guide for cultural ventures which entailed a meal or two; I've been quite pleased and satisfied in the end.  Whenever I do return to Bahia- I'll definitely seek out the expertise of Fernando.

* Might I suggest that you send him a message on his Facebook page if you have specific queries and if you are interested in his services.  It will NOT cost you or obligate you in any way.

• Members

Thank you, @axiom2001. I will make the key decisions (dates and hotel) this week end. Once I make the reservations, I will contact Fernando. I think I would like to go with only two activities pre-established: a day with Fernando in Pelourinho and an anthropological experience of Salvador (without the museum, I can go their by myself), and a field trip to the hippy village and the turtles reservoir. I would like to have other things to do, but I think I want to be open to be surprise for whatever may happen once I start interacting with the locals. I want a lot of interaction.

tenor.gif?itemid=5187329

• Members

I can say from experience that the Pelo sights are easy to navigate independently and the area is fairly commercially upscale. Though it might be a little dicier in the baixa district beyond the transfer elevator's ground level. I just took the ride down for the view and came back up.

Take note that sunset is 18:00 at the height of their summer because Bahia stopped observing DST a few years ago and is easterly in the time zone. 

23 minutes ago, Latbear4blk said:

I think I am changing my mind about the trip to Praia da Forte, and the turtles shelter. Based on my research, it is part of the typical packet for tourists, which is what I want to avoid. I want to mingle more with the locals and less with the visitors.

I absolutely loved my time there and could have spent days.  I mingled with lots of locals and surfers that stay in the area.  The sanctuary is amazing to see and yes, it is for tourists but well worth a trip. IMHO

• Members

Interesting developments ... the Metro in Salvador has been extended to the airport and that portion opened recently. It is mostly above ground or at-grade, tunneled for a mile at Lapa. 

Also, whereas I once cabbed to Shopping da Bahia and then later cabbed an additional 2 km to Fox, I now realize one can take the Metro to Estação Rodovíaria near that complex, IF able to conveniently embark close to the western section of the line. 

Similarly, one can take the Metro to the airport (the previous station west of the airport does not look to be quite close enough to Shopping Norte to be feasible), and then from the airport cab or Über to 13, potentially slashing considerable vehicle mileage. You are not overshooting past Itapuã by very much.

I believe it is about 35 minutes from Lapa to the airport, fare $R3.70

IMG_4095.JPG

IMG_4096.PNG

IMG_4097.PNG

• Members
On 7/22/2018 at 5:33 PM, Latbear4blk said:

I am making decisions. I am abandoning my previous thread and starting this new one. The biggest decision is made, I am going to Salvador. I found a package that includes flight and hotel for les than U$S 2,200. It is an old hotel in Praia da Barra:

http://www.villagenovo.com

Before closing the deal, I wanted to share here to see if anyone has anything horrible to say about this hotel. I understand the location is great.

BTW, I know that hotel. I stay one block away from it whenever I go to Salvador. I have never stayed there but I have been inside of it. It is very similar to the place where I stay. The location for what you are trying to do while there, the convenience and the price points are perfect. As long as visitors are allowed (check first because I don’t know), then you should have absolutely no complaints. If you do, then we are two completely different kinds of travelers.