BiBottomBoy

Time To Forgive Spacey?

• Members

I've always enjoyed his work as an actor.  I'm suspicious about the magnitude of claims against him.  I'm sure many were willing participants in hopes of gaining his favor in hopes of furthering their careers especially those who's careers never really took off and now desire any fame the notoriety of being one of his "victims" brings.

I'm not saying he's blameless, but there aren't any proven facts to know for sure.

• Members

That, really, is a whole other topic.  So many men have been accused, often for things they did years ago, and now find themselves shunned. Sometimes just on someone else's word. No one has come up with an appropriate way to deal with this. Should a groper be punished the same as a rapist? Spacey molested children, and was a general asshole to work with. So many might consider this his comeuppance despite his talents. But the whole Me/Too movement has risen abruptly to power and they currently hold all of the cards. Time will eventually allow some of these men to return to work. I do hate it when a man is immediately considered guilty simply because of the allegation. But the media eats it up.

• Members
14 hours ago, BiBottomBoy said:

Any of you all feel like a straight actor would have gotten over this bullshit and be reaccepted by now?

He may not be a straight actor, but I have a feeling Harvey Weinstein will never be permitted to work in Hollywood again. No re-acceptance for Harvey.

37 minutes ago, BiBottomBoy said:

it deprives us of a great artist

Spacey was a talented performer. I don't know anyone who would call him a "great artist." The industry (and the audience) will do just fine without him.

14 minutes ago, BiBottomBoy said:

He didn't molest children. He tried to have sex with a 14 year old. That's inappropriate but not child molestation.

It's a little more complicated than that. Spacey turned out to be a PR disaster, caused by his own mouth. Whatever talent he had, he killed all good will available to him. It's very difficult to recover from that in show business.

• Members
On 11/19/2018 at 7:42 AM, RockHardNYC said:

It's a little more complicated than that. Spacey turned out to be a PR disaster, caused by his own mouth. Whatever talent he had, he killed all good will available to him. It's very difficult to recover from that in show business.

I did not realize this.  Upon what do you base this comment?

I also think he is an excellent, if not great, actor.

• Members

His mother, a single divorced working woman, was likely at home in Chicago. Rapp did not relocate to New York until 3 years later at 18. He was probably supposed to be in the care of his older playright brother when he had performance contracts in New York. At the time, he was in an all-adult play, with his age perhaps not figuring prominently compared to other kids there more integrated into a peer group. But it is true it made him somewhat of a sitting duck. 

• Members
2 hours ago, TotallyOz said:

Where were the parents?  Who lets their child go out till 2 AM at a big celebrity party alone?

The party was not that large. The theater community in NYC often feels like family. Cast parties in private homes are a dime a dozen. I've hosted my share. Members of this community tend to be very trusting. Fourteen in NYC/Broadway, is like eighteen anywhere else. Teen kids are shockingly mature here, and I mean shocking. I can relate. When I was seventeen, I had a fake driver's license claiming I was twenty-three. No one questioned it. I never got caught.

Spacey has a rather long history of sexual battery claims. Lawsuits may follow him for quite some time. He exhibited serial predator behavior, especially when he drank. Many people thought he was a functioning alcoholic. His troubles are far from over.

2 minutes ago, BiBottomBoy said:

And Spacey wasn't famous then.

Fame is relative. If you're a lead in New York theater, you're famous. He definitely lived his life back then with star aura surrounding him.

5 hours ago, RockHardNYC said:

The party was not that large. The theater community in NYC often feels like family. Cast parties in private homes are a dime a dozen. I've hosted my share. Members of this community tend to be very trusting. Fourteen in NYC/Broadway, is like eighteen anywhere else. Teen kids are shockingly mature here, and I mean shocking. I can relate. When I was seventeen, I had a fake driver's license claiming I was twenty-three. No one questioned it. I never got caught.

Spacey has a rather long history of sexual battery claims. Lawsuits may follow him for quite some time. He exhibited serial predator behavior, especially when he drank. Many people thought he was a functioning alcoholic. His troubles are far from over.

Fame is relative. If you're a lead in New York theater, you're famous. He definitely lived his life back then with star aura surrounding him.

I have bee to quite a few of those parties myself. But, young teens were not there unattended after midnight. Sorry, I just don't get it.

• Members
7 hours ago, TotallyOz said:

young teens were not there unattended after midnight. Sorry, I just don't get it.

Young teen roles in the theater are far and few between. Almost as rare as plays and musicals that cast children. Adam Rapp was very enthusiastic about his future in show business. He possessed a lot of charisma and talent. Of course he wanted to "party" with his cast mates. I did the same thing when I was an underage performer. Just like my parents, I'm confident his parents trusted him and the professionals who surrounded him. None of them were expecting Spacey to be a closeted homosexual predator with a drinking problem. In situations like these, you live and learn, and you grow up very fast.

18 hours ago, RockHardNYC said:

Sorry, I don't care how small or large.  A 14-year old that was my son would NEVER have been allowed to stay out past midnight at an adult party.  It just should not have happened.

23 minutes ago, BiBottomBoy said:

To be fair at 14  I would have been psyched at anyone wanting to have sex with me.

Yeah, me too.  And, I did have several flings. But, I felt I was mature for my age. And, I was totally in love with one guy who was married. Perhaps, a bit of my heart still belongs to him.