TotallyOz

Millennials Are Out-Reading Older Generations

I am an avid reader. I fell in love with reading The Hobbit when I was a young lad.  I still love reading.  I saw this article in The Atlantic and it made me happy to know that the new generation is out reading my generation.

https://www.theatlantic.com/technology/archive/2014/09/millennials-are-out-reading-older-generations/379934/

1 hour ago, BigK said:

I still like regular books.  I've got a catalog of books on kindle since Amazon has 1 free book download per month but I haven't found one that kept my interest.

I love reading regular books.  I started buying on Kindle when I was traveling so much as I needed to have them portable. But, now that I am more stationary, I tend to buy paper copies as I love the feel, touch and smell of a book.  I also like adding a bookmark or folding the page when I stop.  I like my books to be used and loved!

• Members
16 minutes ago, AdamSmith said:

There seems to be some considerable research that you don't retain nearly as well from digital as from print.

I didn’t know that, but I am not surprised.

As another side effect, I often find that I don’t actually know the title of the ebook I am currently reading. That would never happen with a paper book. That is because I barely ever see the cover of an e-book, I open my kindle and it is always straight to the last page I was reading. So I don’t see the title often enough to memorise it. 

• Members

I am not favorably impressed.  Having a large percentage of a group having read a book last year is nothing.  How many did you read last week is more to the point.  Readers and you know who you are, can hardly go a week without reading at least one book.  Somebody has to account for killing all those trees.

Best regards,

RA1

Guest Larstrup
2 hours ago, RA1 said:

I am not favorably impressed.  Having a large percentage of a group having read a book last year is nothing.  How many did you read last week is more to the point.  Readers and you know who you are, can hardly go a week without reading at least one book.  Somebody has to account for killing all those trees.

Best regards,

RA1

Dear God,  do you really believe that the digital age of reading is really a conspiracy for the killing all of the trees?

IIRC, the last time I was in a cockpit, it was all digital from wheels-up, to wheels down, and those involved were tired and with little thanks for suffering with us to your destination. 

The feel of paper on your fingertips  turning a page will never be replaced nor replicated by the digital age of tapping or touching a screen to the next page of the story, but it does without question bring stories into the lives of thousands which would’ve never read/heard them before if it hadn’t been for the digital page or voice of that page had it never happened.

IIRC, The last cockpit and crew I visited when flying was completely reliant upon digital. Hopefully the crew was young/old enough and retained what to do to learn prior to that on paper but as we get older and wiser we know that navigation and control of any aircraft  is only as safe as those who flew it before they relied on digital knowledge. 

When digital nativation of airliners became commonplace -  were you then calling for airlines and navigators to save the Forest?

18 minutes ago, Larstrup said:

Dear God,  do you really believe that the digital age of reading is really a conspiracy for the killing all of the trees?

IIRC, the last time I was in a cockpit, it was all digital from wheels-up, to wheels down, and those involved were tired and with little thanks for suffering with us to your destination. 

The feel of paper on your fingertips  turning a page will never be replaced nor replicated by the digital age of tapping or touching a screen to the next page of the story, but it does without question bring stories into the lives of thousands which would’ve never read/heard them before if it hadn’t been for the digital page or voice of that page had it never happened.

IIRC, The last cockpit and crew I visited when flying was completely reliant upon digital. Hopefully the crew was young/old enough and retained what to do to learn prior to that on paper but as we get older and wiser we know that navigation and control of any aircraft  is only as safe as those who flew it before they relied on digital knowledge. 

When digital nativation of airliners became commonplace -  were you then calling for airlines and navigators to save the Forest?

You know I love you.

But there is a thing called the physical paper engineering notebook, that is still infinitely better than the digital shit.

The latter still don't quite work.

Guest Larstrup
2 minutes ago, AdamSmith said:

You know I love you.

But there is a thing called the physical paper engineering notebook, that is still infinitely better than the digital shit.

it still don't work.

Please spare me the “You know I love you but”....bullshit. You don’t love anyone here anymore than you love yourself, let alone know me to love me. You certainly don’t love me. And I suspect that too, is problematic when you claim to do so. But you do you - and I’ll do me. 

Thanks.

24 minutes ago, Larstrup said:

Please spare me the “You know I love you but”....bullshit. You don’t love anyone here anymore than you love yourself, let alone know me to love me. You certainly don’t love me. And I suspect that too, is problematic when you claim to do so. But you do you - and I’ll do me. 

Thanks.

Ok

i do

But whatever

• Members
9 hours ago, Larstrup said:

The tree killing line was strictly tongue in cheek.  Remember, trees are a renewable resource, although I think we are using them quicker than replacing them.

I am very much in tune with the digital age as regards cockpits.  The last airplane I flew/managed had every thing any airliner has and more.  I only carry one piece of paper with me in the cockpit and that is to take notes as necessary.  However, I also learned without all this stuff and can safely navigate as well as fly without it.  If the GPS signals and VHF radios were interrupted,  I fear there would be negative consequences in abundance.  Luckily these occurrences are rare but not non-existent.  For instance the Asiana 777 landing short at SFO.  That was largely caused by over reliance on digital instruments/systems.

Best regards,

RA1

22 minutes ago, RA1 said:

For instance the Asiana 777 landing short at SFO.  That was largely caused by over reliance on digital instruments/systems.

Best regards,

RA1

Actually that was a Korean-cultural--specific thing where junior cockpit personel were not 'allowed' to call out obvious handling errors to 'senior' officers.

• Members
6 hours ago, AdamSmith said:

Actually that was a Korean-cultural--specific thing where junior cockpit personel were not 'allowed' to call out obvious handling errors to 'senior' officers.

That indeed was part of the problem.  But the fact that the ILS was inop that day (a perfectly beautiful weather day) allowed the crew flying to not set up for the "digital" approach as they always anticipated.  They obviously did not handle the VFR good weather approach which any "old" private pilot could have handled (in a plane legal for him or her to fly).  You are correct in that a junior crew member was disregarded during his warnings about too low and too slow.  That indeed was a "cultural" error.  However a captain current on stick and rudder would not have needed those warnings all else being equal.  There is usually more than one identifiable reason for a crash or incident.

Best regards,

RA1

• Members

Do you skip 4 out of 5 words as you go or just how do you accomplish this?  Read one page and skip the next 4?  :)

According to me, you have about 1600 weeks X .8 to live.  That is at 3 per week.  :)

Readers are much alike and not so much all the others.  :)

Best regards,

RA1

6 hours ago, RA1 said:

Do you skip 4 out of 5 words as you go or just how do you accomplish this?  Read one page and skip the next 4?  :)

I lack the patience to read cover to cover. Usually I glance over the TOC, then either directedly or randomly open to some middle page and start to read. And, jumping around, see where it goes from there.

Much more interesting -- and quick, me being very lazy -- way to see what the author is up to, and the book is about.

• Members
On 12/8/2018 at 7:37 AM, TotallyOz said:

I am an avid reader. I fell in love with reading The Hobbit when I was a young lad.  I still love reading.  I saw this article in The Atlantic and it made me happy to know that the new generation is out reading my generation.

https://www.theatlantic.com/technology/archive/2014/09/millennials-are-out-reading-older-generations/379934/

This is surprising and good news.  In the age of smartphones I wondered about the fate of books.

Are there any threads in the Forum on books and literature?