axiom2001

Misterbnb.com: The Gay Equivalent to Airbnb

• Members

Gentlemen,

Many of you perhaps already know about www.misterbandb.com, the gay equivalent of airbnb.com, but I thought I'd take the time to apprise you if you did not.  In conjunction with this web and its offering, I typed in Rio de janeiro and clicked on whether or not I wanted a room or the entire place.  Some interesting places and relatively low prices appeared. 

I also tried to do it in relation to Havana, Cuba but was not that successful, or I did not do a lot of searching out of a little frustration.  But I do have some salient information regarding the latter.

Edited by axiom2001
website did out appear at first

• Members

1 hour ago, axiom2001 said:

Gentlemen,

Many of you perhaps already know about www.misterbandb.com, the gay equivalent of airbnb.com, but I thought I'd take the time to apprise you if you did not.  In conjunction with this web and its offering, I typed in Rio de janeiro and clicked on whether or not I wanted a room or the entire place.  Some interesting places and relatively low prices appeared. 

I also tried to do it in relation to Havana, Cuba but was not that successful, or I did not do a lot of searching out of a little frustration.  But I do have some salient information regarding the latter.

I researched them for my trip to Rio. Their prices are significantly higher than the traditional airbnb. I ended renting a place in Copacabana in airbnb, at half of the lowest price offered in Misterbnb.

• Members

In my opinion Mrbnb is a useless, overpriced and overrated alternative with limited options for the insecure gay traveler. Like their places cater better to the gay traveler; providing a empty sense of security? Come on! It’s BS.

Airbnb has more options, no stupid requests (provide FB and Insta profile?? What the F. is that?), better prices and owners always accept normal people regardless age, sex, religion or sexual orientation (I’m an Airbnb apartment owner myself; I happily agreed to these conditions) as long as your not a nuisance. Sure, if you’re not sure if visitors are allowed, ask the owner or choose another one. Plenty of options. 

Mrbnb 0 - Airbnb 1

• Members
1 hour ago, snwbrdr015 said:

Airbnb has more options, no stupid requests (provide FB and Insta profile?? What the F. is that?)

I am not a fan of MisterbnB for almost all of the reasons already mentioned. However, in their defense on this particular issue, I believe the reason that they request social media info is because they cater to out gay men. I think their belief system is that only an out gay man would feel comfortable providing their social media information to a gay-themed business. Of course, this logic has its flaws, but I believe that’s their guiding principle. 

Actually, I wanted to like Mnbnb just on Gay general principles. But, in double checking  Santo Domingo I found few options, mostly hotels to fill out their listings and no real reason to support hem. Airbnb is cheaper, better presented, better offerings and ease of use. I wanted to use it  because I assumed that anyone who listed their property on a Gay site would not have issue and while that's true the paucity of offerings just makes it hard to support. 

Now, I have warned here that if you rent in a family condo complex and plan a stream of visitors then use a gay hotel or Mrbnb. Otherwise, Airbnb is a hands down  winner. 

• Members

I would rather be rejected by an Airbnb host, though that is unlikely and is reportable under their non-discrim code, than risk walking into a situation being in a home that may be known and targetted by homonegative (with indifferent law enforcement) elements within its community. 

The Parisian adult male starting the company had reportedly been denied a stay request in Barcelona (!) ... sorry, don't buy it. He also implied that Airbnb policy allowed hosts to ask about orientation. Wrong. All he had to do was report the host. 

However, obviously it his and consumer prerogative to deviate from mainstream listing platforms.

Other than 'entire place' I have stayed in Airbnb 'private rooms' with 3 families and with 1 single person and never been asked anything personal such as marital status, etc despite plenty of social exchange with them including at times attending social gatherings with their friends as an invitee.  

Hosts care more about how you rate them than who you fuck. 

Edited by Riobard

• Members

One of my friends booked a room through Mister BNB in Rio during carnival. The host was straight and his slightly disapproving girlfriend was there in the apartment the whole time. Needless to say he couldn't bring guests back to the place if it was someone who he "just met."

• Members

I posted as a guide only, for I have not used Misterbnb myself, a friend had and had been rather pleased.  I've used airbnb for my Berlin, Barcelona, Rome, and Los Angeles stays and have been more than satisfied.  The hosts have also written very positive comments at the site in terms of how I treated their properties and was a stellar tenant. 

But, at any rate, I thought I was helping, but apparently not, so lets just leave this post idol in the future.

1 hour ago, axiom2001 said:

I posted as a guide only, for I have not used Misterbnb myself, a friend had and had been rather pleased.  I've used airbnb for my Berlin, Barcelona, Rome, and Los Angeles stays and have been more than satisfied.  The hosts have also written very positive comments at the site in terms of how I treated their properties and was a stellar tenant. 

But, at any rate, I thought I was helping, but apparently not, so lets just leave this post idol in the future.

Hey, you were right to post. Information is vital to the success of our visits anywhere. Even discovering that we are not fully informed allows for us to become better informed via this process.

15 hours ago, asdsrfr said:

One of my friends booked a room through Mister BNB in Rio during carnival. The host was straight and his slightly disapproving girlfriend was there in the apartment the whole time. Needless to say he couldn't bring guests back to the place if it was someone who he "just met."

Now, to be fair renting a room in anyone's house and expecting to bring back an unregistered stranger is a bit much.

1 minute ago, mvan1 said:

Genau!

Not to mention how awkward it would be to explain away the visitor.  

Also, when we bring strangers back there is always a risk - however slight. Rent your own place or a hotel room since you have no right to place others at risk unless you are traveling together for security. This quoted escapade was in Rio during Carnival???? Safe? 

• Members
On 6/29/2019 at 5:13 AM, Riobard said:

Hosts care more about how you rate them than who you fuck. 

Hahaha, this brought a smile on my face. You are absolutely spot on!

As I mentioned, I rent out my house via AirBnb, every time I travel abroad  (great way to subsidize ones travel budget). I received guests with all kinds of cultures, religions, ages and yes, I had gay couples as well. Couldn't care less. As long a they pay the rent (guaranteed by AirBnb) and leave the place as the found it (fair use; don't wreck the place ;-) ), I am happy as Larry.

Now, regarding booking Airbnb, if you plan to have sexual encounters (don't we all!):

1. Get yourself a private apartment, not a private room at someones house.
2. Find out what the policy on visitors is (it is common that owners only mention something on that topic when they specifically don't allow visitors. If they mention noting or mention it is ok, it is ok to have a visitor)
3. If the place has a doorman/reception; simply ask how they handle visitors to be sure

One time only (I've rented more than 30 times at Airbnb) I had a problem (point 3.). Afterwards I found out that i didn't read the owners conditions correctly. Luckily I stayed there for 3 nights only.

I rent my home in Merida since I am only there two weeks every other month! It has worked great! I have property managers that take care of everything including meeting the renters when they arrive and depart, paying elect., Cable, water, pool cleaning, gardening for the equivalent of one day a month rental, and takes care of any problems as well as repairs needed.

• Members

80% of my stays, domestically and internationally, are now houses or apartments through Airbnb. I’ve never opted for a shared space. In Eastern Europe, one can rent a spectacular apartment right in the Old Town for 30 to 50 USD. 80% of the time I’ve never met the owner; it’s all digital. The best thing is that they generally have washers, so I can travel for a month with just carry-ons!

On 7/10/2019 at 11:56 AM, boiworship said:

80% of my stays, domestically and internationally, are now houses or apartments through Airbnb. I’ve never opted for a shared space. In Eastern Europe, one can rent a spectacular apartment right in the Old Town for 30 to 50 USD. 80% of the time I’ve never met the owner; it’s all digital. The best thing is that they generally have washers, so I can travel for a month with just carry-ons!

Frankly, I can't see how hotels compete. For far less money I get several rooms and extra amenities. However, if you are very new to a place and the crime rate is not Helsinki low - a gay friendly hotel for that first trip is always a more secure option.

• Members
21 hours ago, Tomcal said:

same here i have not had a problem in 10 years of using Airbnb bringing someone(s) back, but i always rent a entire apt. or house!  Never a room!  i wouldn’t rent a room in someone’s house even if i was planning to be alone!

I'm with you guys who wrote that you would not bring company back to someone's house/apartment where you've rented a room.  I wouldn't take someone to a friend's or relative's place, either-- out of respect. 

In addition to the preceding-- I DO LIKE my privacy as well when I'm "playing."

• Members

Taking a room can work out well if it is the right "fit", you prefer to compartmentalize both your play in an accessible club setting, and interacting with hosts as part of the vacay cultural immersion, not succumbing to temptation to take a dodgy stranger to your place. 

Cost savings can be significant. Bedroom, private bath, breakfast and the run of the apto in a luxe building with a sweet retired professional couple, brokered by their young adult trilingual son ... compared to hotel, well, the daily difference covered cab, entrada, and one programa at Mezzaninu in Porto Alegre.

My last stay in Barcelona was a few weeks in a room and run of place in a 4-bedroom stylish penthouse, one-third the cost of a small "entire place". Prices have skyrocketed there. Well-reviewed host; she was a busy professional hardly ever at home, only lets out the one bedroom. We kept the same hours. Tranquil sleep without constantly slamming doors you get in a hotel or in a private studio where often the bed is near the hall door. Again, cost savings redirected into the VIP suite, etc at Thermas.

I had a crew travelling semi-together, not in the "sauna tribe", and being separate from their hotel enabled me to more easily squeeze in bed-bath-brothel-and-beyond while they siesta'd prior to dinner. Moreover, they did not pester me to swing by the place or crash there, because the host was on-site. Therefore, I was able to juggle agendas without style cramped. 

I have rented expensive upscale entire places only to be saddled with deafening construction/renovation in other units. Forebearance, or moving on and cutting losses, incurring cancellation penalties, much easier if the baseline price is low, much easier to negotiate with a roomie host.