RockHardNYC

Andy Cohen treated me like a dog.

• Members

kathy-g.thumb.jpg.9d5f4dd131a415928a630ec01f6d8ac2.jpg

Kathy Griffin Slams Andy Cohen Says Anderson Cooper Won't Reconcile

I kind of feel sorry for Kathy Griffin. For one, she should never wear her hair short if she doesn't want to look like a miserable, unattractive, over-pulled lesbian. For two, she got unfairly dumped by a so-called famous friend for possibly making a single mistake. What kind of friendship is it when a single mistake can't be forgiven?

Kathy Griffin's talent never did much for me. I worked with Brooke Shields early in her career, and I met Kathy during her Suddenly Susan run. I don't remember Kathy ever making me laugh, but I always found her interesting and attention grabbing, and not just because of her hair.

I have to admit the controversial Griffin photo of Trump's head did make me chuckle. It reminded me of one of my favorite authors, Gaius Suetonius Tranquillus of Ancient Rome. Suetonius had a biting wit when he would describe unloved, beheaded emperors lining the shore of the Tiber. For this I thought Griffin's humor was prescient, knowing full well that Trump devotees would not know who Suetonius was.

Given most of what Trump and company says and does, was Kathy's photo really that offensive? Coming from a female comic who took her stand-up cues from Joan Rivers? I don't think so. But much like Al Franken's debacle, timing is everything.

Wise advisors once gave me thoughtful advice: Expect to be judged by the folks you hold close and most dear. But when a friend hits a rough patch, is dumping the friend not a test of character?

I never liked Andy Cohen because he's a cheap gay man. Self-centered, too. I view him as money-sucking TV scum. IMO, his product is no better for our culture than Jerry Springer's was, except Cohen's product is worse. He's making his fortune promoting primetime misogyny by dressing his Housewives with more bling and paint one could find on a RuPaul drag queen from Atlanta. The worst of America loves a car crash that continually beheads wealthy-looking bitches.

I realize women-hating is a popular sport in the gay community, so I'm not expecting many gay guys to agree with me on this one. A lot of gay guys hate their mother, and some have very good reason. Some mothers are awful. Happily, I don't share that experience. The women in my life have been nothing short of fabulous. I'm grateful and appreciative.

As far as I know, Andy has a good relationship with his Jewish mother, and that is not always easy. So how do we explain his dedication to the Housewives? M.O.N.E.Y. Andy sold his soul for salacious ratings that do damage to our culture, and he's laughing all the way to the bank. What will his legacy in TV be? Promoting women hating on women. There's good reason why many A-list actresses in Hollywood want nothing to do with him.

I saw HBO's riveting Nothing Left Unsaid. Liz Garbus did some terrific work on this fascinating, very personal documentary. Make no mistake, Anderson Cooper did not lead an ordinary life. But he was very lucky to have had a special relationship with his famous mother through it all. And from what I know, Kathy Griffin enjoyed Anderson's mother as well.

So what, exactly, did Anderson see in Kathy? She made him laugh. Anderson enjoys friends who make him laugh. Laughter is very important to him, and if you see the documentary, you understand why.

But why dump Kathy and keep Andy? Was Andy funnier than Kathy? I guess an easy answer is Andy has a cock. But that answer could be construed as misogyny as well.

I doubt we'll ever know the truth from Anderson's perspective. It is fascinating to watch a very public friendship of famous people - a competitive threesome - disintegrate. Almost like watching an episode of Housewives but more real.

Edited by RockHardNYC

I always liked her. I still like her. I am disappointed that her friends did not stick by her. She is funny and intelligent and savvy. Plus, she is so fucking funny.  I did not like the Trump head photo but it is comedy and while not in my taste, not something she should be banned over. She is who she is and I respect that.

• Members

Interesting thread @RockHardNYC. I knew nothing of this and having some idle moments, I followed the link and read your comments.

When I read of very minor celebrities like these 3 squabbling and feuding, I always wonder why they bother. Have they not learned that the rest of the world has no interest in what they say and think? As it relates to President Trump, it seems to me, as a foreigner, that he simply thrives on the attention and controversy. 

I confess that it may be evil of me but I enjoyed your description of Cohen  - “I never liked Andy Cohen because he's a cheap gay man. Self-centered, too. I view him as money-sucking TV scum.” So much so that I was tempted to ask you to say what you really think of him!

• Members
7 hours ago, msclelovr said:

I was tempted to ask you to say what you really think of him

LOL. I have been asked on numerous occasions if I wanted to meet Andy Cohen. Unfortunately, we are in the same room at certain show biz events. Every time I've been asked, I politely decline the offer. In public, I can't express my disdain for a fellow man in show business. It's not how I conduct business. That is why I love boards like these. I need to vent and speak freely.

Amazingly, even though we are in the same room sometimes, I have never rubbed elbows with Cohen (that I know of). I am so grateful, too, because I have a difficult time hiding my true feelings in my facial expression. I pity the poor guy if I ever make eye contact with him.

3 hours ago, caeron said:

I get that perspective. As a long time corporate communicator (spin doctor), it was exhausting to be endlessly polite to a host of complete idiots. But, they paid me a lot to do it, so I did it.

I do market research, which is the direct opposite of marcom. So my clients come to me with the explicit question, What are we doing that is so stupid, & what do our (current & prospective) clients want us to do differently to better help them?

They are enormously grateful when I can ferret out & discern the end-user needs & realities that their own sales & marketing people cannot, or will not say because it would reveal their own shortcomings.

So they engage me specifically not to be “polite,” but instead be brutally honest & direct to them and their people.

In fact sometimes (like in consulting to Toyota etc.) senior mgt. hires me to tell their underlings things the bosses themselves already know but could not say themselves, due to those convoluted codes of Japanese business etiquette etc.

Well, I never had much respect for Marcom people either.

I think PR has more in common with lawyers. You work with facts and truth. You tell your client's story the best way you can, but you don't make shit up. Marcom people frequently make shit up, then fall in love with their own shit despite the evidence that it IS shit.

I quit my last gig when they made me work for Marcom. I swear I might have punched her in the face if I had to hear her say we needed to "lean in" one more time.

4 minutes ago, caeron said:

Well, I never had much respect for Marcom people either.

I think PR has more in common with lawyers. You work with facts and truth. You tell your client's story the best way you can, but you don't make shit up. Marcom people frequently make shit up, then fall in love with their own shit despite the evidence that it IS shit.

I quit my last gig when they made me work for Marcom. I swear I might have punched her in the face if I had to hear her say we needed to "lean in" one more time.

Well said!