pauleiro

Carnaval in Rio !

• Members

My first Carnaval in Brazil ! Prices of hotels are much higher than usually, particularly in Copacabana and Ipanema. I will he hosted in Botafogo, close to metro. 

Somes questions for the one who have already gone to Rio for Carnaval

- Where is it worth going (bars, samba, street events,  ...) ? 

- Is it necessary to buy tickets for Sambadromo ? Where to be positionned ?

- When are the best shows at Sambadromo ? Is the final show with the champions (on Saturday February 29th) the best ? 

- Any other tips ? 

Thks ! 

• Members

Your posts brought back the time that I was in Rio de janeiro during Carnaval.  Continue to enjoy immensely.  And yes, the prices of most items, ,etc. do decrease after Carnaval; I know that's how it was when my friend and I were there.  [Plan to attend one or more balls?  We went to one of the famous ones (name forgotten) and just loved the myriad of visions.] 

Muito obrigado!

• Members

Pointe 202 Carnaval monday

New lockers for customers, new stage screens, multiple tv screens around the room are some of improvements at Pointe. Many customers and boys. A few new faces. It was a good evening in Pointe.

March 7th is the 15th aniversary of Pointe until ... 5 am : buffet, RJ/SP strippers, ... worth going.

• Members
1 hour ago, Walker said:

This costume is really too hot for Rio.  It looks more like the Carnival costume for Cologne.

I totally agree. I wonder how the guy managed to spend a few hours inside this costume. That day, luckily for the guy, it was rather cold with rain from time to time. 

• Members

Blocos da Rua (Street Carnaval)

Internet sites (eg blocosderua.com) give a comprehensive list of blocos with time and meeting place ("concentração"). Internet site riogaylife.com.br gives a list of all gay and gay friendly blocos with time and concentração.
Gay blocos are having difficulties to be organized : the city and military police are trying everything to cancel gay blocos. The bloco Minha Luz e de LED (my light is from LED) for instance received a list of actions to be done (presence of ambulance, of toilets, of security, of fire extinguishers, ...). They did comply to it and to all bureaucracy demanded but at the end of the game, they were not authorized because of incidents which occured last year where attendees blocked circulation of cars in a tunnel for some time.
Gay bloco Saymos do Egito had to be held in private places.

20200227_095537.thumb.jpg.6f9e6c3b040c3265ba0f4f98db22a979.jpg
The famous band of Ipanema which is having his bloco at 5 pm since many many years was first asked to move it to morning, ...
In addition, the mayor of Rio de Janeiro, an evangelist bishop, Marcelo Crivella, started to reduce by 50 % subsidies to samba schools in 2018 and then cancelled all subsidies in 2020.
The best gay or gay friendly blocos to which I participated are : Bloco das Carmelitas, Bloco das Quengas (prostitutes) certainly the gayest, Bloco dos Amigos da Onçã (on the beach). I did not really like the Banda da Ipanema (the music was good but too many tourists. It is not as genuine as what happened in front of bar das Quengas for instance).

20200227_100032.jpg.05cf7b9b923aa8c8e429291a1f3cdb4f.jpg

20200227_095928.thumb.jpg.a9d5bdf47893b18bf29910529f38603e.jpg

20200227_095702.thumb.jpg.2a87f79cb263f2061161e9022083d1d1.jpg

20200227_095645.thumb.jpg.9031cff05031df584801eb2f4166c8ee.jpg

The Bloco das Carmelitas was created 30 years ago. Its name refers to a Sister Carmelite who was so attracted by Carnaval that she used to escape from her convent during the Carnaval days. Of course she was very visible in her outfit so in order to hide her in the crowd, people started to wear also the Carmelite oufit. Walking down Santa Teresa on the track of the bonde (tramway) together with the Bloco is really great.

20200227_095945.thumb.jpg.307a631a6866303fc4268e2a55eea55f.jpg

20200227_095714.thumb.jpg.a03e49efcc44c5381290bcd9f7531ef7.jpg

20200227_095512.jpg.327b3ce774c12a188ca2787a5ba14753.jpg

• Members

117 Wednesday and Friday

Wednesday was Feijoada da Monik. Entry, including feijoada, was 100 R$. Lots of people, mostly customers. Good food. Funny show. But the place was totally disappointing boywise. Just a few guys. Noone I really liked. Except Thiago who is a short guy with a large smile and a large dick. But only top. Never bottom.

Friday. Regulars are back. I saw many many foreigners but did not see any new face appealing to me. Went with regulars for good sessions. I always enjoy M.  and the huge colored dragon he has tattoed on his back. Fucking M. is fucking M AND the dragon. Always hot ! 

Before coming during Carnaval, I had  understood that many boys were coming from other cities to Rio for Carnaval to deal with the many foreigners present but, as mentionned elsewhere, this is not true at all. 

I was thinking to go early to Lyons to see what was going on and see new boys. But I had a drink in the bar in front of entrance and in 30 minutes, the only 2 persons who entered were customers. So I went to 117.

• Members
On 2/28/2020 at 5:45 PM, brockmiller said:

Went there on my last trip but did not see any gogo boys. Good music, drinks are just okay. 

Gogo boys are on mondays. Since this bar is a 5 minutes from my place, I will go tomorrow to see what the boys look like. 

20200301_163129.thumb.jpg.c39e1dc7fb113a3db13f99323fb338d6.jpg

• Members

Blocos da Rua Rio de Janeiro

In addition to above comments on the subject, some names of blocos are funny or interesting.

"Concentra mas não sai": there is concentração but nothing is going out ... this bloco stays at same place and does not pass. It is very popular.

“Suvaco de Cristo”: Christ'armpot (since it is held in Jardim Botanico which is under Corcovado statue, so under Christ'armpit)

“Que merda é essa? ”: what is this shit ?

“Parei De Beber, Não De Mentir“ : I stopped drinking, not lying .

“Fogo na Cueca“: fire in underwear 

“Bafo da Onça”: jaguar breath

“Papo de Cachaças” : chat with cachaças (alcool used for caipirinha).

“Se não quer me dar… me empresta”: if you do not want to give it to me ... lend it to me. "Dar" can be understood in the sentence as dar culo (to be fucked). 

“Se me Der, Eu Como! ”: if you give it to me, I eat it (der is same verb as "dar", comer is fucking).

“Chupa mas não baba“: Suck but don't drool

(I wish I had time to go to these 5 blocos, particularly one of the last 3. Bafo and papo are blocos for people drinking a lot.

"Pinta mas nao borra" : paints but does not stain

• Members

Pink Flamingo, rue Duvivier close to Cardeal Arcoverde metro. 

New (only?) gay bar in Copa. Nice place. Lots of young men, even on a Monday nite. Good music. I know that some boys from 117 go there to have fun and eventually pick up a customer. Did not see any es ort while I was there. Cheap : no cover charge until 10 pm and 2 beers (corinitas = small coroas) 15 Reais ie less than 3 € at the current rate. 

No discrimination here, even for toilets

IMG_20200303_192339.thumb.jpg.fd6996659a9d521aace2f6ee3eb8525d.jpg

Worth a visit. 

Nearby is Beco das Garrafas very good bossa nova bar