Latbear4blk

SCJ rules 6-3 against work discrimination

As Joe Biden might say, "this is a big fucking deal."

Glad this happened.  Disappointed our President and his administration were on the wrong side of this and fought against it. Glad a few of the Supremes jumped on board with the liberal block. However, more court cases to come.

• Members

Christian conservatives rattled after Supreme Court rules against LGBT discrimination

After all the money they spent and the political effort invested to repopulate the courts with judges friendly to their Theocratic project, they are not happy. I am sure they will double their lobby power in incoming controversial decisions.

4 hours ago, tassojunior said:

Next week they are going to rule that religious belief overrides this though. So not really such a big fucking deal. We've been around this wedding cake before. 

We will see. I think you might be right in the ruling. But, this is still a big deal.

• Members

It was a GREAT day yesterday thanks to the ruling. Bodes extremely well for Gorsuch and Roberts. A big fuck you to Kavanaugh, Thomas, and Alito.

I have never felt anti-gay discrimination in any job I held or pursued. I am grateful for this. So this victory is not as important to me as gay marriage. 

There are several important cases coming, and the conventional wisdom is Trump will get some important wins. The most important thing that needs to happen for our future: GET TRUMP OUT. No more uber-conservative judges. We need progressive thinkers in our Supreme Court.

1 hour ago, AdamSmith said:

The Court still works, thank God.

Somewhat surprisingly.

Freed from political meddling, the absolute independence granted Justices is one of the strongest backbones of the Constitution; and succeeding precedence.

Also, Justices tend to drift toward the center over time, wherever they started at. If memory recalls (I may be repeating myself) Burger himself authored the unanimous opinion requiring Nixon to hand over the Watergate tapes.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Burger_Court

• Members
8 minutes ago, AdamSmith said:

Also, Justices tend to drift toward the center over time, wherever they started at. If memory recalls (I may be repeating myself) Rehnquist himself authored the unanimous opinion requiring Nixon to hand over the Watergate tapes.

Hugo Black had been in the KKK and Earl Warren was appointed as a conservative. 

The earth-shaking aspect of this case is Sotomyer's concurring opinion. Controversial. 

Edited by tassojunior

• Members
1 minute ago, AdamSmith said:

One has to say the current Chief is doing a far more responsible job than I expected of steering the thing down the center-line.

But also people need to remember this case was not on the constitutionality of DACA but just on Trump's authority to  unilaterally overturn it. There are other cases brought by Texas and some states challenging DACA in a court that overturned DAPA. 

4 minutes ago, tassojunior said:

But also people need to remember this case was not on the constitutionality of DACA but just on Trump's authority to  unilaterally overturn it. There are other cases brought by Texas and some states challenging DACA in a court that overturned DAPA. 

The Court cannot overreach. They have to wait for these cases to reach them through the court appeals system.

2 hours ago, tassojunior said:

But it's worth searching the decision to see if there's an indication they will uphold DACA (and DAPA) as constitutional when it gets to them. 

Agree. But repeating myself from above, one has the sense that Roberts. Increasingly the deciding vote, is drifting from the right toward the center.