• Members

Welcome ! Have fun ! 

It seems difficult to imagin going back to Latin America this year. Even in 2021 the Rio Carnaval is not sure to be held. Street Carnaval are likely to be cancelled. It seems the Salvador Carnaval might not occur. I am dreaming of my next trip to Brazil ... 

• Members
On 7/15/2020 at 3:48 AM, pauleiro said:

It seems difficult to imagin going back to Latin America this year. Even in 2021 the Rio Carnaval is not sure to be held. Street Carnaval are likely to be cancelled. It seems the Salvador Carnaval might not occur. 

It looks like Phase 3 of AstraZeneca vaccine trial, temporally the leader of the pack, is about to be launched in various locations globally, with a few thousand doses in Brazil, but six months must pass for efficacy and broad safety assessment prior to clearance for general consumption, obviously likely past 2021 Carnaval dates.

Then Brazil would begin to manufacture a large batch of its own supply to supplement a smaller supply available worldwide, pending approval. Best case scenario is that the vaccination target of 100 million doses would likely not commence until next summer. I think the tentative plan is an initial 30 million followed by 70 million. 

What is unclear to me is whether recipients must first be assessed for natural immunity (or exposure, since durable immunity is in question) given that it is conceivable that up to 5% or more of the population has already contracted the virus. 

Edited by Riobard

• Members
21 hours ago, axiom2001 said:

Each day I think and reflect on how COVID-19 has affected "EVERY COMPONENT of life" worldwide.  It has wreaked hell on everyone--everywhere!  I do hope and pray that a light will shine brightly in 2021 so that some modicum of life's past can be experienced.

Unfortunately the worst of "normal" is rearing it's head again. Murders in big city ghettos like Chicago and DC stopped but now are suddenly back at full carnage. Standstill traffic and it's pollution is halfway back and the Amazon's back on fire. Now we're just lacking a war. Sometimes it seems advanced civilization isn't. We have chances like this to rebuild differently but we never take them. All we got was Zoom.

• Members

São Paulo’s New Year celebrations on Paulista are officially cancelled. A sign of what to anticipate. 

The decision contrasts with the current federal health Minister’s assertion that within 2 months the disease will have softened to a common respiratory syndrome. 

Edited by Riobard

• Members
9 hours ago, Riobard said:

São Paulo’s New Year celebrations on Paulista are officially cancelled. A sign of what to anticipate. 

The decision contrasts with the current federal health Minister’s assertion that within 2 months the disease will have softened to a common respiratory syndrome. 

Interesting....New Year is still 5+ months away.