Riobard

Brazil reopened to tourists

• Members
On 8/24/2020 at 4:21 AM, ChristianPFC said:

Germans returning from risk areas just have to take a covid test when arriving at the airport and then are free to go home.

Yikes. Unfortunately that may be getting pulled soon. 

Coronavirus: Germany mulls end to mandatory tests for high-risk returnees
https://p.dw.com/p/3hQkc

• Members
23 hours ago, sluttino said:

LatBear4blk:

you wrote: 

there is always the chance to rent a car to travel with my party, as most of the places I am checking include free parking.

I have a question for those with more experience and knowledge of Rio. Besides Praia Grumari, what other interesting places can you visit in the area?

My last visit in August 2019, my friends and I rented an small SUV (National Car Rental on Av. Pr.Isabella 1855842853) and drove out to Buzios.  Rented a huge 5 bedroom house with housekeeper, pool and great location... but there's lots of other smaller and cheaper places, too

our stay in Buzios:

Casa Buziana
Av. Geribá, 123 - Manguinhos
Búzios RJ 28950-000
$388 two nights
5 bdrms, 6 bath  wifi   pool  No smoking
energy and water consumed in the lodging will be charged
Cleaning Fee  $ 38    
Henrique +55 (21) 99962-4900
Mauren +55 (21) 97176-5583
https://www.vrbo.com/7343353ha

Buzios has an incredible number of beautiful coves and beaches, tour schooners, good beachside restaurants.  Grindr had plenty of interesting attractions there, too.

Thank you, that's good advice. Before you shared I had researched both, Buzios and Angra dos Reis, and intermediate locations. There are many very interesting houses. I just feel too new to rent a house in Brazil, still developing my knowledge, and my decision was for Recreo dos Bandeirantes. The place is already booked.

No news in English if the opening to tourist (30jun-28aug2020) will be extended. But poking around in google in Portuguese I found this official announcement:

https://www.in.gov.br/web/dou/-/portaria-cc-pr-mjsp-minfra-ms-n-419-de-26-de-agosto-de-2020-274222561

Diário Oficial da União Publicado em: 26/08/2020 | Edição: 164-A | Seção: 1 - Extra | Página: 1 Órgão: Presidência da República/Casa Civil

Relevant for us is Paragraph 6, after running through google translate:

Art. 6 The restrictions referred to in this Ordinance do not prevent foreigners from entering the country by air, provided that the migratory requirements appropriate to their condition are obeyed, including that of having an entry visa, when required by the Brazilian legal system.

§ 1 The foreign passenger on a visit to the country for a short stay, of up to ninety days, must present to the transport company, before boarding, proof of purchase of insurance valid in Brazil and with coverage for the entire period of the trip, under penalty of being prevented from entering national territory by the migratory authority at the provocation of the health authority.

§ 2 The insurance mentioned in § 1 of this article must have the purpose of covering health expenses and meet the following minimum requirements:

I - validity period corresponding to the scheduled period of the trip;

II - minimum coverage of R $ 30,000.00 reais; and

III - be signed in Portuguese or English.

New to me is the minimum coverage of health insurance. No negative test of Covid taken no longer than 72 h before flight required by Brazilian immigration. And on website of airlines I might fly with (KLM, Air France) not mentioned either.

Edited by christianpfc

• Members

Here is a Brazilian site where you can look city by city to see the trend in recent cases. Just like the USA certain areas may represent more risk. Look in the area on the page "Índice de destinos" and select your city/region--it will show the number of new cases from the week and what the trend is.

https://www.viajenaviagem.com/2020/09/coronavirus-turismo-situacao-brasil/#indice

• Members

Good find, that.

However it is regional total and new tallies with clues as to trend in absolute numbers. It would be somewhat useful if you lived or visited one place and can see the relative changes across time. Not much change would occur over a short time. 

However the metric does not contain population volume denominators that are required for at-a-glance comparisons between regions in terms of per capita proportions of people infected. You could DIY based on knowledge of population numbers, an additional step that has not been imported into these data. 

Few places are doing the deeper calculations, even if person volume is known, or are estimating numbers based on presumed prevalence against documented prevalence. I do them manually on request, here where I live as well as for a number of friends throughout Brazil and elsewhere. There is no app coding that can achieve output for the algorithm because the theoretically anchored formula has a few infinitesimal variables. The risk algorithm narrows exposure (implicitly  transmission) risk according to population-adjusted point prevalence of cases with a few other variables relevant to estimating prevalence accurately. 

The BRZ data do assist in tallying mortality probability over time. You can predict burial plots and death certificate inventory. Similarly, the new case incidence trends may help predict resource allocation needs within specific areas. Great for front-line  management on the ground there. 

I will try to drill down and see if I missed something. There is a numbers explosion going on and I have been spending considerable time assessing what guts of the piñata are actually useful.

The central missing piece is that you can easily calculate exposure risk on a 0-100 scale but there is absolutely no consensus on a specific number or range on that scale that is acceptable in the realm of tolerance / aversion. If one were arbitrarily selected, you could maintain constancy of that metric by simply adjusting N persons and this could salvage a lot of businesses, reducing capacity versus shuttering at the whim of the shit show that lives at the intersection of science and government. 
——

But what do I know, except fire Fauci ... I am not being ironic. He is fine clinically at the basic but not able to think at a creative gestalt level marrying science, statistics and human factors, even if not muzzled politically. 

Edited by Riobard

• Members

@Riobard

My main reason for crossing Rio off my to-do list for the fall is the hospitals there if I got covid. I saw a listing of the best hospitals in Brazil and they were mostly in Sao Paulo with only, I think, one in Rio. And I suspect many Brazilian hospitals are nothing to write home about under the best of circumstances. 

• Members

So I have the state populations but it would be daunting to do all 5,000-plus cities/ municipalities per capita. For risk differential by region, Canada and USA have them by province /territory / state.

You could can drill down by location and I just estimated exposure risk for people I know in Ubatuba (SP) and Barra (SalBahia).

The smaller the land mass the more valid the risk estimate for an entire state, etc, or even nation, as shorter-distance inter-municipality mobility levels out the differences to a degree smong urban, suburban and rural zones. 

54A5B885-F947-41F5-8669-3443D5F04B71.jpeg

Edited by Riobard

• Members
50 minutes ago, tassojunior said:

@Riobard

My main reason for crossing Rio off my to-do list for the fall is the hospitals there if I got covid. I saw a listing of the best hospitals in Brazil and they were mostly in Sao Paulo with only, I think, one in Rio. And I suspect many Brazilian hospitals are nothing to write home about under the best of circumstances. 

Without prejudice:

I think I would find Hospital Copa Star near Point as satisfactory as any in Montreal, depending on utilization factor given changing acute care demographics and resources in coronavirus context.

There is also the geographical convenience of proximity between where you get the virus and where you get treated. The open air currents could literally transfer the same particles from 202 a block or two over as the viral material that you essentially walk over or get wheeled over with, the spiky hospital admission criterion lodged in your mucous membranes and circulatory systems. 

5F47A445-9BF1-4BEA-AB51-FD665B2D4A34.gif

Edited by Riobard