PeterRS

The Future of Economy Class?

From Supersonic to the back of the bus. Every year the Crystal Cabin Awards are dished out to designers who come up with innovative ideas for aircraft economy interiors. So far as I can see, none has been adopted since airlines have been determined to squeeze as many passengers in as possible. 777s used to have 9 across 3-3-3 seating. Not any more. Several airlines have added an extra seat for a 3-4-3 layout and reduced aisle space to make it possible. 2 or 3 extra rows have also been added therefore reducing seat pitch. On my first 747 flight around 40 plus years ago and for a few years thereafter, I can remember sitting in window seats and yet being able to pass by my two fellow passengers to get out to the toilet without disturbing them. In those days seat pitch must have been 35" to 36' instead of the 31" or 32" common now.

http---cdn_cnn.com-cnnnext-dam-assets-210528110837-chaise-longue-image-3-landscape.jpg.d85c8852e3f68cd0310c55cdec254e13.jpg

This design is short listed in the 2021 Crystal Cabin Awards. It is an idea developed by a 21 year old Spanish student. It is based on a double level cabin, does away with overhead bins in favour of undersea storage. Interesting though it is, it seems those on the lower levels have a definite advantage. By sliding forwards, the seats [rivde a good recline, and having lots of space under the seat in front, there is a ton of legroom. Those in the upper level seem to have the same recline, but I would not be at all happy with not being able to stretch my legs. And there is no possibility of that space being increased. Maybe a two tier economy pricing might be necessary.

https://edition.cnn.com/travel/article/double-decker-airplane-cabin-concepts-crystal-cabin-awards/index.html

Other mode of transportation have done the capsule/bed options for quite sometimes, train and boat especially. Hopefully flight will consider somthing similar that would not cost a fortune like business class.

Imagine passengers falling off the ladder, delays loading and off-loading the cabin, trips to the restrooms. How many of the flying population could even negotiate the stairs? And it's doubtful the cabin could be completely evacuated in emergency within the time limits established by civil aeronautics authorities.

I'm sure commercial aviation will continue to evolve in the future. We've already seen the movement to wide-body (747) to jumbo (380) and back to wide-body (350, 787).

Despite the Crystal Cabin competitions, carriers will avoid acrobatic configurations and stay with the single level design.

1 hour ago, reader said:

I'm sure commercial aviation will continue to evolve in the future. We've already seen the movement to wide-body (747) to jumbo (380) and back to wide-body (350, 787).

And now back to the 737 Max and Airbus A320 Neo for medium haul oceanic travel in narrow bodies. Bring back the 747-400 puhlease! Loved that aircraft.

Horrible ideas. I see lots of lawsuits with the stairs and falling, etc.

I do like the idea of being able to stand and why I liked Korean Air Business Class. It has a lounge in the back that was so refreshing to be able to stand and have a drink.

1 hour ago, PeterRS said:

Bring back the 747-400 puhlease! Loved that aircraft.

The 747 was the the true queen of the skies. First flight to BKK was a Northwest 747 from Minneapolis via Narita. 

Roomy, smooth, comfortable and reliable. Crews and passengers loved it.

Can't think of any major carrier that didn't fly them.

1 hour ago, PeterRS said:

And now back to the 737 Max and Airbus A320 Neo for medium haul oceanic travel in narrow bodies. Bring back the 747-400 puhlease! Loved that aircraft.

I once flew Miami- Santiago de Chile with stop in Guayaquil  in 737. it was not as bad as expected but I was much younger then with higher tolerance for some discomfort I guess

53 minutes ago, reader said:

The 747 was the the true queen of the skies. First flight to BKK was a Northwest 747 from Minneapolis via Narita. 

Roomy, smooth, comfortable and reliable. Crews and passengers loved it.

Can't think of any major carrier that didn't fly them.

I must have taken more than 200 flights on 747s. One was once the longest route in the word - Chicago to Seoul on Northwest. I remember as we were getting close to Japan asking the flight attendant if we would be landing in Seoul on time. It depends, she told me. The headwinds have been quite strong and we may need to stop in Narita to take on fuel. As we passed Japan I just hoped the captain had done his fuel usage figures correctly!

I was fortunate in that most of my Northwest flights were in business class. I could never understand why it was nicknamed Northworst. I assume that was on the basis of the domestic coach flights. I found almost all the trans-Pacific flights enjoyable.

Strange to think that the US trans-Pacific flights used only to be on Northwest or Pan-Am. In the early 1980s both carriers tried to woo business passengers with free helicopter trips between JFK and the Manhattan East Side helipad. Best way to get into Manhattan! Around 1983 I took Pan Am to JFK. When the flight attendant came round with the business class lunch, she muttered something. I asked if she would kindly repeat it. She then shouted, "Meat or fish?" The fish was disgusting! That was the last time I took Pan Am. Within a few years they had sold the Pacific routes to United. But JAL was probably the best service for trans Pacific routes.