Milk78

Vaccine cost in Thailand

I need some help. 

What are the prices of Covid vaccines in Thailand? 

I am thinking about sending over the money to a boy I met when I was out there in January, 2020. He is a lovely student i met when i was in Chiang Mai and who i had a great few days with. He is not a money boy and i am confident that if i sent him the money he would spend it on a vaccine(s). 

But I have no idea of the cost or even if getting a vaccines is possible at the moment. 

He hasn't asked and i am sure he is not expecting the offer - he might not even accept, but i thought i would find out the details if i could before making the offer. 

Any help much appreciated! 

39 minutes ago, billyhouston said:

If he is Thai, it's free and there should be no problem, but he's lkely to get Sinovac. The private hospitals have agreed a price of Bht 3400 for two shots of Moderna, but it's not certain when this wil become available.

According to an email I received  between the end of October and March 2020!

BUT reports in the papers today that the government has done nothing so far to order Moderna.

It is free for Thais. It's even free for farang who live here if you register for it. According to a message put out by a major Bangkok hospital, those under 60 will get Sinovac or AstraZenica at present, with over 60s only getting AstraZeneca (presumably the locally made version).

On 7/3/2021 at 1:33 AM, Patanawet said:

According to an email I received  between the end of October and March 2020!

this is wishful thinking for a time machine haha. Of course it's a typo, should read 2022  unfortunately :( 

On a serious note to OP's question: yes it is of course free for Thais and it is actually rather difficult if not almost impossible to buy it anywhere. Someone told me of a friend or acquaintance of his, American, who got it (Astra Zeneca) for cash at MedPark Hospital in Bangkok. Don't know the price though. The "alternative" vaccine, Moderna will be available for cash only, the government is not involved in that (other than in it's role in delaying it's purchase, those idiots), but it get's constantly delayed, and it is only with luck that any doses will even arrive in October, as Patanawet already alluded to in the post above. The offers I've seen all speak of "4th quarter" which is obviously very vague and could mean year end. So good luck with that.

So the bottom line is, it is really not necessary or even useful to send money for the vaccine for a Thai person. 

If he is Lao or Cambodian or Burmese, that would be a different story, but for those guys it is probably even more difficult to get it for cash.

2 hours ago, anddy said:

If he is Lao or Cambodian or Burmese, that would be a different story, but for those guys it is probably even more difficult to get it for cash.

Thankfully, if such guys were in their 20s and are in good shape, their risk of getting severe covid is minimal.  

Of course, it makes sense to get a vaccine if available, but it's not something they should worry about too much.

4 hours ago, vinapu said:

exactly , if they can they should buy vaccines first  for their parents and grandparents

I live with and amongst migrants (legal and illegal) from Myanmar. Most are from Shan, but there are a few Karen. They work in Thailand to be able to support their parents back in Shan/Kayah so, sadly, there's no possiblity for them to buy vaccines for their parents back in Myanmar. The border is closed and most of the 'informal' crossing points on the Northern Thai border are now patrolled by the Thai army. Under normal, non-COVID, circumstances the Thai army does not uually impede the use of these crossings.