Ojibear65

Bogota in February

On 11/12/2021 at 1:11 PM, macdaddi said:

From my Colombian friends, thing are progressing back to a new normal.  You will be expected to wear masks in almost all indoor situations (malls, hotels, government buildings, etc. Bars are restaurants are back to full capacity.  There you will be expected to wear a mask when moving through the room, but can remove it once seated. A curious custom I saw last year was Colombians putting masks back on when the waiter or service person approached the table.

The big megaclubs (Theatron, El Mozo, Ghetto Tank, et al.) are very relaxed with masking and you will see very few masks indoors. Clubs like Gigolo Erotic House, Recreo de Adan, or Perro y Candelaría are also very lax on masking once inside.  Likewise, any outdoor space (cafe, restaurant, bar etc.) will not have a requirement for masking.  Keep in mind that Bogotá is at a very high altitude. The days in January can run into the mid 20's C, but things cool off in the evening. Much like Canada, you will see many outdoor spaces with heaters to keep the punters warm.

You will see big crowds around the city as things have largely returned to a routine. Colombians are fun-loving and very social as a society.. They are fascinated by the sudden global interest in their country, and I believe you will meet many cute locals that will be happy to introduce you to Colombian culture. I would also suggest  you might want to consider other warmer options during your trip, like Cali, Medellin or Cartagena -- there is a big sale on intercity travel right now and I got my flight from Bogota to Medellin for just $20CAD on Avianca.  It's an incredible country and I hope you enjoy an amazing birthday trip.

Thank you very much. It's already been down to -20 here in NorthWestern Ontario. I'm meeting an online friend I've been chatting with for over 2 years. I'm brushing up my Spanish. My Colombian friend is learning English. Gracias!

• Members
On 12/5/2021 at 2:35 AM, Ojibear65 said:

Thank you very much. It's already been down to -20 here in NorthWestern Ontario. I'm meeting an online friend I've been chatting with for over 2 years. I'm brushing up my Spanish. My Colombian friend is learning English. Gracias!

¡Buena suerte con los estudios de español! Good luck with your Spanish language studies.

Wanted to share this article on best restaurants in Latin America, as many are in Bogotá. Maybe a memorable evening out for you and your Colombian friend.

https://thecitypaperbogota.com/dining/colombia-rankings-among-latin-americas-50-best-restaurants/28751

There are also two restaurants on Monserrate (mountain above Bogota city) where you can enjoy a romantic meal overlooking the city.

https://restaurantesmonserrate.com/

and La Parilla Monserrate (no website)  +57 1 745 4630 

• Members

I’m light on breakfast and dinner and prefer a substantial midday meal when travelling.

26 months ago Balsa at the Gold Museum, packed at peak lunchtime but accommodated walk-in basis around 13:30, was quite fine. Similarly, Marcha within the cluster of museums that includes Botero Museum.  Both satisfying following hours of sightseeing and without being tied to a reservation timeline.

I had figured on returning at least once a year but, like everybody else’s best-laid plans …

Good to have these recent top-tier eatery tips for an eventual return, having accomplished the typical first-time sched-loaded 1-week sights sweep and able to slow it down next time. 

On 12/8/2021 at 11:29 PM, macdaddi said:

¡Buena suerte con los estudios de español! Good luck with your Spanish language studies.

Wanted to share this article on best restaurants in Latin America, as many are in Bogotá. Maybe a memorable evening out for you and your Colombian friend.

https://thecitypaperbogota.com/dining/colombia-rankings-among-latin-americas-50-best-restaurants/28751

There are also two restaurants on Monserrate (mountain above Bogota city) where you can enjoy a romantic meal overlooking the city.

https://restaurantesmonserrate.com/

and La Parilla Monserrate (no website)  +57 1 745 4630 

Thank kindly for your suggestions. I want to enjoy Bogota to the fullest.  So as we say in Ojibwe/Chippewa, MIIGWECH!