Olddaddy

Social anxiety

Almost impossible- very difficult- frustrating- still problematic; that is the trajectory I've followed since 1995. Back then ,of course, I had only a Thai-English dictionary to hand and so I suppose that it may be a little easier now.

I tried learning Thai via a set of CDs. Unsuccessfully. The advice- from a Thai- is not even to try. In other places I've visited and tried to add a few words and expressions (I'm thinking of Swahili and Arabic in particular), my attempts have been applauded and taken as I intended.... a token of respect. But not in Thailand. Unless you are an expat, which poses particular problems, my advice is to let the guy do the translating. Speak English simply and slowly. Learning English is a benefit to young Thais anyway. 

2 hours ago, Gaybutton said:

Can't it simply be choice?  I'm no introvert and if I go out to the bars, believe me I'll be very happy to talk to anyone who wants to talk with me.  While I don't wear a badge that says "I'm Gaybutton" sometimes people recognize me and want to talk, and I'm glad to talk all night if they want to,  But frankly I'm not looking for that.  I'm not going to the bars to have a conversation with farang.  If I'm looking to mingle and have a conversation at the bars, guess who I'm going to do that with . . .

Money boys?🤔

6 hours ago, 12is12 said:

Do all of u farangs, mingling and conversing with locals, do that in Thai or English or Translator?

The question is also pertinent to farangs taking one or more guys with u to one or more days together: how do u interact with them? Translator is tiring for long durations.....

I don't speak Thai  and like you , find Translator tiring. So only conversation possible is in English. While I can engage overnight off with guy speaking none or very little of it, for trip or longer stay with me , even day trip,  I wouldn't even think about taking guy who doesn't speak at least basic English .