reader

Getting use to higher air fares

If the pay raises being negotiated by major US carriers are a harbinger of future air fares, we'd best get use to it. Although there will always be times when fares go on sale ,it's not surprising that the trend is moving only in one direction as demand continues to strengthen.

Delta Airlines last week offered pilots a 34% increase over for years and American Airlines today announced a 40% package over the same period. Both also offereed profit-sharing and other benefits.

CNBC reports that "a captain flying narrow-body planes would make $475,000 at the top of the scale, up $135,000 from current pay, while the most senior captains of wide-body planes would make $590,000 per year, a $170,000 increase from today."

Airfares to/from Mexico are ridiculous ....Merida- Boston or NYC was always 330-400 forever before COVID.....Now, 750-1400.

I knew the airlines would screw us when they recovered.....their bailouts should've been loans.

I'm glad the DOJ is fighting Spirit/Jet Blue merger.   21 airlines have merged since 2000 and zero new airlines since 2007. No one can compete...

Pilot shortages are going to take a while to unwind. So - supply and demand.

I think you're right that higher fares are likely to be around for a good while. Given general inflation that seems inevitable. I did manage to book a $240 flight between Washington and Tampa to visit family in the May/June time frame. That's less than I have paid for the last couple of years. As always shopping around and having flexible dates will get you the best options.

8 hours ago, floridarob said:

Airfares to/from Mexico are ridiculous ....Merida- Boston or NYC was always 330-400 forever before COVID.....Now, 750-1400.

I fly from Tampa to somewhere in Mexico usually twice yearly.  I've been searching for weeks to fly there (Mexico City) and fares are substantially higher than a year ago.  Flight options have been reduced to about half what they were last year at this time.  Many of my flight options allow for less than an hour flight change in Houston, even for some in Miami; unworkable.  It's not just flights to Mexico, but I've been pricing fares to either Rio or Dublin, Ireland.  High, high and higher.  Some flights I'm searching now have a US$90 baggage add-on fee.  For me, from Tampa ... forget BKK.