Boy69

Hotels prices gone up

• Members
16 hours ago, Boy69 said:

I am planning a trip in a couple of months and looked at hotel prices, prices are much more higher than my last visit in November-December last year in some cases almost doubled.

It is true. Medellín is seeing unprecedented demand for tourism and inflation is a serious problem. Both housing costs and food prices have increased exponentially in the past 12 months and it is pricing many Colombians out of the market as more foreigners choose the city as their location for nomadic living and longer term residency. Nearby Envigado and Rionegro have seen an explosion in population as many choose to leave the city.

The mayor´s office is acutely aware of the issue and are working on new residency taxes for foreigners. But that will take time. The locals had taken to calling El Poblado Medallork or Gringo Terra (like Inglaterra) this spring, and you will see increasing signs of frustration from the locals who feel that they are losing their own city. 

Yes 

9 hours ago, speedoo1 said:

Also COP has increased by more than 10 % against most currencies (USD, EUR etc) during the last 1 1/2 - 2 months. 

Yes I noticed that but hotel prices gone 20 % up to double and more in some hotels.