reader

Pheu Thai and Bhumjaithai announce deal to form government

From Thai PBS World

The Pheu Thai and Bhumjaithai parties announced today (Monday) that they are joining hands to become the core in forming a new government.

Together the parties have 212 House seats and are inviting more parties to join their coalition.

Claiming they already have achieved a majority, they declined to reveal which parties they have in hand.

At the press conference, Pheu Thai was represented by its leader Cholnan Srikaew, his deputy Phumtham Wechayachai and party secretary general Prasert Chanthararuangthong, while Bhumjaithai fielded leader Anutin Charnvirakul and party secretary general Saksayam Chidchob.

Cholnan said more parties are expected to join their coalition. Both parties need support from MPs and senators in forming a government, so that it could administer the country and solve people’s problems, Cholnan said.

Asked whether the cooperation between Pheu Thai and Bhumjaithai did not represent most voters’ desire, compared to Move Forward winning the most seats, Phumtham said Bhumjaithai won the third most seats (71), which means there are a large number of people who support the party.

The more things change....

From The Nation

Three more parties from the outgoing coalition government hinted on Tuesday they would be willing to follow the Bhumjaithai Party in joining the Pheu Thai-led coalition.

Leading members of Palang Pracharath (PPRP), United Thai Nation and Chart Thai Pattana signalled they would be willing to consider an invitation from Pheu Thai for coalition talks but said they had not received one yet. They spoke a day after Pheu Thai and Bhumjaithai announced they had agreed to ally to form a government.

Pheu Thai has 141 MPs and Bhumjaithai has 71.

Meanwhile, Chart Thai Pattana leader Varawut Silpa-archa strongly hinted his party would be willing to join the coalition now that Pheu Thai has affirmed it would not seek to amend the lese majeste law, or Article 112 of the criminal code.

Article 112 was cited as the main reason for senators refusing to vote for Move Forward Party's PM candidate Pita Limjaroenrat last month.

Pheu Thai also cited Article 112 as the main reason for dumping election-winner Move Forward from its coalition.

Varawut said it now depended on Pheu Thai as to when and where it would hold coalition talks with Chart Thai Pattana.

Continues at

https://www.nationthailand.com/thailand/politics/40030041

From Thai PBS World

“The value of heritage comes from its inheritors.” This is what Vacharaesorn Vivacharawongse, 42, wrote on his Facebook page after visiting The Foundation for Slum Child Care (FSCC) in Bangkok.

His surprise return to Thailand lit up social media platforms. On the microblogging site “X “(formerly known as Twitter), the hashtag #SonOfTenReturnToThailand was referenced over 390,000 times.

His visit hit the headlines in both local and international media, including CNN, the BBC and Reuters.

This is because Vacharaesorn is the second eldest son of HM King Maha Vajiralongkorn and his former royal consorts.

His surprise arrival at Suvarnabhumi International Airport on August 5 was intended to be a low-key affair, but the news spread like wildfire after a number of people at the airport recognised and greeted him. Vacharaesorn responded with a wai. The whole scene was recorded and, of course, went viral.

On August 8, at a shrine near Ratchaprasong intersection, Vacharaesorn paid his respects to the Ganesha statue, before proceeding to the FSCC to undertake charitable activities.

He told the media, “I am delighted to return to Thailand, I have been warmly welcomed. I have been away for a long time, 27 years. It is like a dream come true to be back here. Before the plane landed, I looked out of the window and felt very emotional and grateful to the country.”

“I have never forgotten that I am Thai. I have never forgotten about the importance of Thai culture. When I was overseas, I spent my time promoting Thai culture, so foreigners could understand the country’s valuable heritage. Returning to Thailand this time, I would like to learn more about the culture and continue to promote it overseas. I am very happy to be back here,” he added.

On August 6th, he visited the Grand Palace, the Temple of the Emerald Buddha, the City Pillar and Hong Rattan Aram Temple.

At the FSCC, people waiting for him greeted him as they would a member of the Royal Family. He asked them to just treat him as a normal Thai, because does not hold Royal status.

It is reported that he will spend about a week in Thailand, before returning to the United States. He has been busy since arriving, visiting and making merit at temples and enjoying the famous Thai cuisine at both street restaurants and five-star hotels.

On his Facebook page, he impressed many netizens by posting a picture of him alighting from a Tuk-Tuk.

From Thai PBS World

King’s third son, Dr. Chakriwat, joins elder brother in Bangkok

His Majesty the King’s third son, Dr. Chakriwat Vivacharawongse, is currently in Bangkok to join his elder brother, Vacharaesorn, who has decided to extend his stay in Thailand.

According to a Facebook post by Wassana Nanuam, a senior reporter at the Bangkok Post, this is the first time that the two brothers have been in Thailand after 27 years of living abroad.

Dr. Chakriwat has long desired to visit Thailand, to pay respects to his great grandmother, the late Princess Mother Srinagarindra, for being his inspiration to study medicine in order to help the poor, and to pay respects to his grandfather, the late King Bhumibol Adulyadej.

According to Wassana’s post, the two brothers visited Ayutthaya province yesterday (Saturday) and today they went to Siriraj Hospital to pay their respects to the statues of Prince Mahidol and the late King Bhumibol Adulyadej.

Chakriwat and Vacharaesorn, two of four sons born to HM the King and his former consort Sujarinee, will return to the United States together.

According to the Chakriwat Medical Information Centre, Chakriwat wrote that his desire to become a physician grew out of his own personal experience as a patient. When he was a teenager, he noticed a lump on the side of his neck and his doctor had it removed and biopsied. He was subsequently diagnosed with Type II Neurofibromatosis. The lifelong course of treatment has included multiple surgeries and repeated radiotherapy.

He wrote that as he researched his condition, to understand what was happening to his body, his desire to enter the medical profession grew.

“My condition became a motivating factor in my life and served as the foundation for an enthusiastic pursuit of a career in medicine,” he wrote.

From Thai PBS World

Election Commission recommended to drop charge against Pita

An investigating committee has recommended the Election Commission to drop the charge that Move Forward party leader Pita Limjaroenrat violated the election law for allegedly holding shares in a media firm while filing candidacy in the May-14 election.

According to an informed source at the Election Commission (EC), the committee found there is no clear evidence that iTV was operating and earning income at the time when Pita applied for his election candidacy in early April.

The committee pointed out that, in order to disqualify Pita, in accordance with Section 151 of the Election Act, evidence that he still held shares in the media company must be clear and beyond any doubt.

The committee’s findings and recommendation have been sent to the secretary-general of the Election Commission, said the source, adding that the case will then be forwarded to a sub-committee for consideration, when Pita may be asked to testify to the panel.

The source also said that the panel may delay the case until there is a ruling from the Constitutional Court on Pita’s parliamentary status as relates to the iTV share ownership.

Pita was reported to hold 42,000 shares in iTV, inherited from his late father over 17 years ago. The shares were transferred to his relatives in June this year.