tamtam

HCMC hotel

probably depends on your budget. I stayed at the Sedona Suites. Beautiful apartment on something like the 40th floor. Short walk to the pedestrian plaza which was nice in the evenings. On top of a shipping mall with food options and a grocery. I also walked from there to the city museum which wasn't too far.

I stayed at the Caravelle Hotel. It is centrally located.and although it's not particularly cheap, it's got everything you could wish for and the rooftop bar is a great place to relax. They had an excellent Philippines band playing every night.

The only problem is you can't have guests in your room after 9pm.(I hear that's the rule throughout Vietnam).  But you could have your fun beforehand and later head up to the bar. Perfect!

Oh, and the breskfast is awesome.

1 hour ago, a-447 said:

I stayed at the Caravelle Hotel. It is centrally located.and although it's not particularly cheap, it's got everything you could wish for and the rooftop bar is a great place to relax.

Isn't the rooftop bar historically interesting as it is where many international journalists hung out for drinks during much of the Vietnam War?

7 hours ago, PeterRS said:

Isn't the rooftop bar historically interesting as it is where many international journalists hung out for drinks during much of the Vietnam War?

No, that was the Rex Hotel which is just down the street from the Caravelle.

I went to their rooftop bar a couple of times but preferred the live music at the Caravelle. 

If you read my postings about Vietnam , you know I recommend big international chains when it comes to hotels because some of the smaller local boutique ones end up having strange rules for guests, close reception after midnight, etc. It's also worth noting that because  there is a smaller presence of international hotel brands in HCMC sometimes their rates might end up being even higher than BKK, even though overall HCMC is cheaper than BKK.

I would recommend Intercontinental in Saigon or if you want to stay close to the river, then Le Meridien. Wouldn't recommend walking around too much around that area at night though. Have heard bad stories from some of my friends.