reader

Police slammed for being lenient towards aggressive foreigner

When I have time before flying home from BKK, I walk to the gates in the opposite direction and then all the way back. Last time then came a gate change and i had to go again to the other end of the airport. But I don' t mind a little walk before sitting 11 hours in a plane in a luxurious economy seat (saved money will be invested in Thai economy on next visit).

I think the police handled the situation well. Their first objective must be to diffuse the situation especially when there are many members of the public around. What I expected however was that he should have been arrested for taking several swings at an officer, and with an implement too. He should have been arrested and then charged. Finding him guilty should not be difficult. I am surprised they found him another flight and waved goodbye.

On 8/11/2023 at 2:24 PM, reader said:

Having viewed the video, I found the police exercised restraint and professionalism in handling the matter. They had obviously prepared for just such an incident and maintained a containment triangle around the individual and the situation was soon resolved.

From The Nation

Police officers at Don Mueang International Airport have been criticised by netizens for not using cracking down on an aggressive Chinese tourist who caused a commotion at the airport in Bangkok on Wednesday night.

A video clip of the incident was posted on Facebook page, “Yak Dung Diew Jad Hai”, on Thursday, showing the man shouting at officials at the international terminal after he was not allowed to board a plane heading to China.

The post said that around midnight on Wednesday (August 9), the airline announced a change of gate for the flight, enraging the tourist. Later, the captain of the flight reportedly banned him from boarding, infuriating him even more, leading to him shouting at airport officials.

Assaulting law enforcing officers should be a criminal offense. Releasing him without pressing charges is irresponsible and could potentially endanger the lives of other passengers. Imagine if this happened at a US airport, the outcome would be very different.