Marc K

New "yellow bank" ripoff?? Beware!

16 hours ago, kokopelli3 said:

There a couple of them but the Yellow Bank  Krung Sri offers 30,000 Baht withdrawals. You can do a Google Search for others.

we should keep in mind that those limits may be restricted also to our bank's daily withdrawal limits and sometimes  our own  daily limits we set in the system.

Another limit I encountered at Bangkok Bank's ATM at Silom and soi 3 is number of notes dispensed. In July I needed some change so tried to withdraw 24900, message appeared  " this machine can dispense only 25 notes in one withdrawal " or something to this effect. When i typed 25000 all went ok but to get a change I went to 7/11 nearby to buy some soap and ice cream.

On 10/13/2023 at 9:41 AM, reader said:

This isn't a kind-hearted service. It's something banks use to take more of your money without you knowing.

https://wise.com/us/blog/choose-local-currency-at-foreign-atm

Thanks to Wise for this "wise" advice, indeed. Yes, I had been vigilant against DCC attempts in the past, but the sneaky addition of a new, last-minute screen in the process did catch me this time. And yes, Mavica, $40 does mean something to me -- a nice massage perhaps? And your willingness to condone this kind of shady business practice aimed at the distracted tourist (us) to weasel out more money from us just never ceases to amaze me.

Yes, it will not happen again, and, yes, I will NOT use "yellow bank" ever again even though I had been a faithful customer for at least a decade! The only thing I can do is take my business elsewhere, and warn others to be always on guard for sly practices like this.