Patanawet

Abundance of cheap notebooks/pads on Facebook.

Recently, I had a bad moment -- my P.C. AND mobile phone failed at the same time. I felt naked!
Now, both are repaired but I am looking for a cheap standby short term notebook or pad.
The emphasis is on CHEAP.
I don't 'game' or need any special fast speed apps. Just email, these boards and the ability to view videos already downloaded to USB thumbdrives for my lonely bedtimes.
I don't need high named products -- only one that works.
I don't mind second hand (working) or, dare I say it, fakes.
I searched on Facebook and now, of course, I am besieged with ads. for similar.

Has anyone here any experience  of buying successfully or not?
Alibaba (which of course is Chinese and the parent of Lazada) has so many ads from about 3k Baht up to 10k. (one in particular is a notebook with 2 screens delivered to Thailand for about 10K Baht).

Please no criticisms, questioning my morals about accepting fakes as the multinationals have ripped me off enough over the years.

There has been many news articles about scams on Facebook.  If you want to buy one from an ad you see on Facebook, do not send money in advance and wait for delivery.  I would order from Facebook only COD.  The person selling on Facebook is probably perfectly honest, but there has been enough reports to convince me not to trust paying in advance or sending a deposit.

If it were me, instead of trying to find secondhand notebooks and pads on Facebook or other online sales such as Craigslist, I would check pawn shops instead.  You can see what you are getting and can try it out.  At least you would be going home with notebook or pad in hand and you would know where you got it from if anything goes wrong.

You might also check Lazada and Shopee.  You won't find secondhand, but you might find some within your price range.  Lazada and Shopee are reliable and honest.  I have been buying from both for years and have never been disappointed.

Thanks GB, pawnshops are a good idea. I think I saw one in Pattaya once in the basement of Tuk Kom but never here in Bangkok although they must be here.

Must look for the golden balls.
Lazada does in fact have a second hand section  again I should look at that. Didn't know there was a Craig's List in Thailand.

Thanks for your ideas but I was hoping  someone who had indulged and could point me in a tried and tested direction

I once ordered from Lazada, a cheap phone and when the package finally arrived, it contained a few teeth whitening sachets. I couldn't be arsed to return because it had taken so long, the return dates had expired.

I'd be very wary about buying second hand or "fake" branded computers if you're ever going to use it for accessing sensitive and important websites or info, like banking and other financial services.

There is a strong possibility that these devices may come with spyware designed to capture your personal details and open you up to being scammed. It might be on there from the activities of the previous owner.

Buy new & buy genuine would be my advice.

21 hours ago, reader said:

I think the industry term for used is frequently "refurbished." If you put that in your search engine it might improve results.

'Refurbished'?  It's taken me years to get used to 'pre loved' 😂.
But WOW - I just got as far as 'refurbished 'in Lazada and 102 pages popped up.
Thanks.

On Lazada / AliExpress, try Chuwi (original store!). It's a Chinese budget brand of reliable tablets and notebooks with several models in your budget. 

They often use older components that'll be fine for your purposes. Good built quality, I made two purchases & no issues...

While fakes might be ok quality for clothes & shoes, I would not recommend buying any of the "fake" phones/tablets/laptops - they often are completely useless scams. The description might resemble a brand product, but the item shipped will decidedly not. Read too many horror stories, waste of money imo