unicorn

No sympathy from me

• Members

Putin is holding another US citizen hostage. Any US citizen should know better than to travel to Russia. Her "crime" was donating $50 for the Ukrainian aid. I think it's important that the US government put its foot down and state unequivocally that we won't be trading any Russian spies in order to secure her release. Shame on her. 

https://abc7.com/ksenia-karelina-russian-court-denies-appeal-arrest-for-treason-ukraine-help/14479902/

"A court in Siberia has denied 33-year-old Ksenia Karelina's appeal and she will remain in prison. The court extended her pre-trial detention until at least April 6. Karelina, who has dual Russian and American citizenship and lives in Los Angeles, is accused of treason after allegedly donating about $50 to Ukraine's war effort... If convicted, Karelina faces 20 years behind bars...". 

https://nypost.com/2024/02/29/world-news/russia-rejects-appeal-in-ksenia-karelina-treason-case/

"...A Russian lawyers’ group, Pervy Otdel, said it had information that Karelina had donated just over $50 from her U.S. bank account on Feb. 24, 2022 – the day that Russia launched what it calls its “special military operation” in Ukraine – to a charity that sends aid to Ukraine...". 

What a threat to Russia's military! 🙄

elegant-ballet-dancer-woman-dancing-76839436_6df694.jpg?resize=1024,683&quality=75&strip=all

There was an article in media a few weeks back that Putin’s intention is to collect as many hostages as possible. This is just one more step in that effort. I believe any US citizen—or those from NATO nations—would by wise to avoid travel to Russia under Putin’s regime.

• Members
3 hours ago, vinapu said:

That is insane. How insecure Russian  regime must feel if threats such people as criminals and imprisons them. 

Well, the point is, I think, that he very much does not see this woman as a threat at all. She's not a threat--she's a bargaining chip from which he hopes to exchange for real Russian criminals (arms dealers, etc.). The sensible thing to do is disengage. Do not bargain. Make it clear that there's nothing to gain from taking hostages. And, once again, warn US citizens NOT to travel to Russia (or Iran, etc.). As I've said before, anyone wishing to travel to countries whose leaders take our citizen hostage should have to sign a waiver indicating that they are well-aware of the serious danger, and that the US will not make any concessions due to willfully foolish behavior. This should be the response to any request for concessions:

Explore slamming doors GIFs

Go Away No GIF by leeamerica

Have you brought propaganda here again?

Karelina created a network to raise funds, equipment and supplies for the troops of Ukraine, a state recognized as an “enemy” of the Russian Federation. Obviously, Russia could not forgive her for this. In the USA during World War II they were sent to concentration camps for less - the Japanese were sent simply for being Japanese.

Karelina, being a citizen of Russia, committed actions against the interests of Russia, and she paid for it. And the fact that she is still a US citizen does not play any role. Other US citizens come and go without problems, unless they are engaged in espionage in military factories, as Gershkovich did. You really don’t think that only 2 US citizens visited the Russian Federation in 2 years?

Those who do not engage in hostile activities easy visit Russia: in 2023, almost a million Chinese and 560 thousand Europeans visited the Russian Federation. The incoming flow of tourists from Europe increased by 30% compared to 2022; in total, incoming tourism increased by 20%. And no one was detained. Surprise, right?

Conclusion: there is no need to engage in hostile activities, and nothing will threaten freedom. Tucker visited Russia with positive impressions, easy returned and now tells everyone about the beauty of the Moscow metro and the squalor of the New York metro.

598eceas-960.jpg

Mayakovskaya-Station-Moscow.jpg

405489-moskovskoe-metro-27.jpg

16d819d6-0fde-4623-8350-a96368e6823e.jpg

21 minutes ago, unicorn said:

what the fuck does the Moscow metro have to do with the ballerina

"What the fuck" "balerina" have to do with criminal offenses? Am I missing something and does being a ballerina protect you from criminal prosecution? She was detained and tried for the fact that, being a citizen of Russia, she conducted activities against Russia, i.e. betrayal.

This article of the criminal code can only be applied to citizens of Russia, because if a person is not a citizen, then he/she cannot “betray”, because he/she did not take an oath of allegiance to the country.

Normal tourists visit Russia in the millions a year without any problems.