reader

British ex-pat fatally impaled

From Pattaya News

A British businessman and ex-pat died after falling on a glass door at his home near Pattaya on Wednesday morning. The door broke and impaled him in the chest area, relevant rescue teams told The Pattaya News.

The tragic accident took place at a luxury one-story house located in a village in Moo 2, Huai Yai sub-district, Banglamung district, Chonburi province. Sawang Boriboon rescue workers and Huay Yai police rushed to the scene at 7:10 AM yesterday, April 3rd, 2024, to find the victim, Mr. Gareth John Wilson, deceased in his bedroom.

Mr. Gareth, 54, had suffered a large laceration to his chest, and was pronounced dead at the scene. He was discovered face-up in only black underwear. Police found at the scene a broken sliding glass door to the bathroom with bloodstains nearby. No signs of a struggle were found. Police believed that Mr. Gareth may have fallen on the glass door by accident, which subsequently broke and impaled him in the chest.

Mr. Gareth’s wife, whose name has been withheld by police in light of the ongoing investigation, told police that the deceased had been out drinking with friends last night. He returned home in the early hours of Wednesday morning.

The wife said her husband was about to enter the bathroom when he appeared to have experienced dizziness and fell on the glass door. The door the broke and impaled Mr. Gareth. However, Gareth was still alive and managed to walk to the bed only to pass away shortly later.

Mr. Gareth’s body has been taken to the Police General Hospital for an autopsy. Police are awaiting the results of the autopsy before they can determine the exact cause of death.

21 hours ago, reader said:

From Pattaya News

A British businessman and ex-pat died after falling on a glass door at his home near Pattaya on Wednesday morning. The door broke and impaled him in the chest area, relevant rescue teams told The Pattaya News.

The tragic accident took place at a luxury one-story house located in a village in Moo 2, Huai Yai sub-district, Banglamung district, Chonburi province. Sawang Boriboon rescue workers and Huay Yai police rushed to the scene at 7:10 AM yesterday, April 3rd, 2024, to find the victim, Mr. Gareth John Wilson, deceased in his bedroom.

Mr. Gareth, 54, had suffered a large laceration to his chest, and was pronounced dead at the scene. He was discovered face-up in only black underwear. Police found at the scene a broken sliding glass door to the bathroom with bloodstains nearby. No signs of a struggle were found. Police believed that Mr. Gareth may have fallen on the glass door by accident, which subsequently broke and impaled him in the chest.

Mr. Gareth’s wife, whose name has been withheld by police in light of the ongoing investigation, told police that the deceased had been out drinking with friends last night. He returned home in the early hours of Wednesday morning.

The wife said her husband was about to enter the bathroom when he appeared to have experienced dizziness and fell on the glass door. The door the broke and impaled Mr. Gareth. However, Gareth was still alive and managed to walk to the bed only to pass away shortly later.

Mr. Gareth’s body has been taken to the Police General Hospital for an autopsy. Police are awaiting the results of the autopsy before they can determine the exact cause of death.

Sounds odd. My cleaning lady did the same, but the door was safety glass, and no damage to her. Perhaps not so strict in Thailand.  At least he didn't fall out of the window.. 

I’m always wary of wet tiled floors in Thailand in the shower or round the pool. I have the impression that cheaper smooth ceramic tiles are used, whereas in the “West” they are non-slip. That resulted from a fall I had getting out of a Thai hotel pool when I slipped and fell striking my chest against a raised edge. I thought I had broken a rib, but an X-ray at the Bangkok.Pattaya hospital revealed bruised ribs which remained painful for the rest of my trip.

4 hours ago, Travellerdave said:

I’m always wary of wet tiled floors in Thailand in the shower or round the pool. I have the impression that cheaper smooth ceramic tiles are used, whereas in the “West” they are non-slip. That resulted from a fall I had getting out of a Thai hotel pool when I slipped and fell striking my chest against a raised edge. I thought I had broken a rib, but an X-ray at the Bangkok.Pattaya hospital revealed bruised ribs which remained painful for the rest of my trip.

In the Meredien  the bathroom is really swish, his and hers double shower. The shower has non slip floor, but as you emerge into the bathroom proper, with or without your boy, the floor is a skating rink! I need the 2 bathmats, to be safe!

I think Mr Gareth, the unfortunate victim, was extremely unlucky to slip in such a way to impale himself on the glass. A really freak accident ? Maybe ? 
you mention boys Keith. The biggest accident risk they run is injury as a result of motor bike accidents. I’ve had the need over the years to examine boy’s bodies for research purposes and found that most have scars from these accidents plus very often evidence of broken collar bones. There is an instinctive tendency to use the arm to brake falls from moving motor bikes, cycles, and moving ridden animals causing fractures. Boys also sometimes show burn scars following cooking in their rooms with unsafe equipment using most frequently bottled gas.

Thanks. I did mention boys, but they are not at as much risk from the bathroom  floor as I am! Balance goes down as I get older!

From Pattaya News

British Man Too Drunk to Unlock His Gate Impales Himself on fence

An intoxicated British man sustained a serious abdominal injury after impaling himself on a pointed iron fence at his residence in the Bang La Mung district of Chon Buri. The incident occurred on Sunday, April 7th, in the early morning hours.

Emergency responders swiftly arrived at the man’s residence, located in the Nongprue area, after receiving a distress call around 12:15 A.M. There, they discovered the foreigner, later identified by police as Michael G., a 65-year-old British national, stuck on the fence. One of the fence posts, shaped as an arrowhead, had pierced his belly, causing a wound approximately five to six inches deep.

The rescuers skillfully lifted Mr. Michael off the railing, administered first aid, and promptly transported him to a nearby hospital. His condition was critical due to the severity of the injury.

According to local media reports, Mr. Michael initially attempted to open the gate to his house but was too inebriated to do so. Subsequently, he decided to climb over the fence to get inside, slipped, and tragically impaled himself on its top.

A concerned neighbor, identified only as Ms. Pat (50), recounted hearing loud moans and cries before discovering Mr. Michael’s precarious situation. She acted swiftly, fetching a ladder to help rescue him and promptly alerting paramedics.

On 4/5/2024 at 11:03 PM, Travellerdave said:

The good thing with a rib bone is that unless you see the 🦴 outside of your rib cage, nothing can be done and one must wait for recovery (long and painful). It can be fractured, bruised or whatever, treatment is the same - painkillers. I once fell because of an icy pavement , had incredible pain, and had a date with a hot guy immediately after and only his hotness made me to supress the pain which was of course very present in the various sex movements. The recovery was about 3 months.

On 4/9/2024 at 7:46 AM, Tomtravel said:

The good thing with a rib bone is that unless you see the 🦴 outside of your rib cage, nothing can be done and one must wait for recovery (long and painful). It can be fractured, bruised or whatever, treatment is the same - painkillers. I once fell because of an icy pavement , had incredible pain, and had a date with a hot guy immediately after and only his hotness made me to supress the pain which was of course very present in the various sex movements. The recovery was about 3 months.

And the recovery gets longer as you get older!