mahjongguy

sorting your wallet

Guest scottishguy

if you send me £20 of that English sterling you're talking about Z909 I'll be SURE to send you one of our fivers and tenners for you to keep so that you can have a good close up look - and I'm happy to do that just as many times as you'd like :=)

And if he sends me one of his English £20's (which are not "legal tender" in Scotland and are immediately shipped back South where they belong) I'll accept it with good grace and send him one of those shiny and rare (but "legal tender") £5 coins he has apparently never seen and still refuses to acknowledge the existence of.

:p

Five pound coins are legal tender but are intended as souvenirs and are almost never seen in circulation. I've yet to see one used in a transaction.

Considering the topic of this thread is "sorting your wallet", only notes & coins that are in common circulation are relevant.

I don't need to find space in the wallet for what is not commonly in circulation.

Guest scottishguy

I merely challenged your previous statement that there were only 4 denominations of Banknotes and coins up to £2  and notwithstanding all the 'ifs and buts'  I commend you on  having the good grace to accept that there are in fact 6 denominations of banknotes and coins up to £5.

Hats off to you, sir.

:hi:

I've always kept mine sorted, even when was living in the USA I always kept my money sorted. I'm even more compulsive about it than that - if the note corners have become folded, I straighten them.

Same for me.

When I get change I just stuff it in and sort later, 20 in front and 1000 in the back.

I never paid with a wrong note. But I once (on my second holiday) did not get change for 1000 Baht for a drink in ICK disco in Ramkhamhaeng. My Thai friend got drunk and had left, so I tried to explain my problem at closing time, to no avail. Now I pay with 1000 Baht notes only in places that I know and that are well lit and not crowded (7/11, restaurants, bars), unlike in a disco - the waiter goes away and you don't know where he is and when he comes back with the change.

Guest anonone

Fun topic.

I confess to not being nearly as organized as some here.  I do start out the night with my wallet sorted, but more for checking how much money I have instead of trying to be organized.

My only "trick" is to keep a couple of 20 and or 100 baht notes in my front shirt pocket.  Makes it easier to tip someone without hasseling with the wallet.  I tend to replenish with change from check bins as I go through the tip money. 

Christian I am VERY disappointed in you, I fully expected you more than anyone else on the board to have some over the top, totally over thought out, unique, failsafe system to ensure the safe dispensing of your hard earned notes, so to discover after everything you actually rely on simply looking at what money is in your hand before handing it out is I fear a bit of a slight let down and I think you're going to have to go away and give this topic some more thought perhaps as there MUST be a better way - surely ? :-)

Guest scottishguy

What is clearly required is the type of wallet used professionally by waiters and bar staff in Eastern Europe.

This is a humungous wallet held closed by a fastener but which, when opened falls outwards to reveal so many compartments that it resembles an accordion!

When this type of wallet is produced  I sometimes I wonder whether it's change I'm about to get or a quick rendition of "My Bonnie Lies Over The Ocean" 

post-13509-0-76009500-1365574695_thumb.jpg

Guest anonone

Well, another reason to keep the wallet sorted....

When I came back home and got caught up on laundry, I opened the clothes washer to find Thai Baht of every denomination littered among my now-clean clothes.  I apparently shoved the change from a check bin into a pocket and promptly forgot about it.

I now have augmented my return funds with some very clean, but very wrinkled, bills. 

:goodjob:

Resurrecting this old thread as I found it both entertaining and useful.

I for one find wallets to bulky, never use it to carry money, neither at home nor when travelling .Prefer to keep money loose between various pockets in the shirt and trousers .

In LOS I have system  what and how much belongs to what pocket, easy to control spending and shrinkage is any.

Always try to have lots of small bills / 20 and 50 in the left pocket, 100 in the right one, no more than 7 bills / to avoid problems with wrong change given , not to mention having handy  notes to be stuffed in boys undies to get some feeling.

As for discussion about UK bills one needs to add  to confusion that Isle of Man and both Jersey and Guernsey of Channel  Island have their own notes circulated.

I noticed I have an older 500 Baht note in my wallet after my recent BKK trip. I guess it's still a legal tender but does a small shop keeper still accept the note? Or do I need to exchange to the current note at a bank? BTW I heard new 1000 B notes in circulation from this Friday 21 Aug.15.

I hate they keep changing banknotes all the time.

As for discussion about UK bills one needs to add  to confusion that Isle of Man and both Jersey and Guernsey of Channel  Island have their own notes circulated.

You're adding to the confusion.  These Islands are self governing crown dependencies so not part of the United Kingdom*. I have not yet seen a note from any one of these islands. I bet you will recognise who is on their notes though.

Back on topic, European notes seem to be shorter and wider than those from countries such as Thailand, US and Japan.

As I don't like to fold notes, taking my Thai wallet is preferable for carrying those currencies.

[*I did confirm my suspicions via a google search before posting, so will let you off ].

I noticed I have an older 500 Baht note in my wallet after my recent BKK trip. I guess it's still a legal tender but does a small shop keeper still accept the note? Or do I need to exchange to the current note at a bank? BTW I heard new 1000 B notes in circulation from this Friday 21 Aug.15.

I hate they keep changing banknotes all the time.

Old notes will be accepted for few years , don't worry. Only reason  small shop keeper will not accept old note is  that he may not have enough change if you but coke for 18 baht and pay with 500.

When travelling I have habit of spending local money to the last penny and if still have some change left I either drop it at charity box at the airport or give to some passing floor sweeper. USD and Euro exempted from this rule as those are pretty universal currencies.

I use a two section wallet. Front section has twenties then fifties.

Back section has 100, then 500, then 1000.

All notes right way up. All neat and tidy.

Well, this is how it is at the start of a night out.

During the night, change just gets put in anywhere in the back section.

When I sort out the wallet next morning, to see what is left, if anything, it is a big mess.

So restocking and resorting begins.