kokopelli

Fountainhall Retires

WHAT???? 

Yes this seems to happen many times on forums. A member lets a disagreement with another member drive him from the Board.

I never quite understand that.  If someone disagrees with the Board management then certainly that is one of the roads he can take.

However when it is a disagreement with another member , I never quite understand why that influences their continued membership.

FH  will be missed certainly by me who especially enjoyed his photos.  But this Board certainly has many members who post things that we all enjoy.

Hopefully in the future members will remember not to let personal arguments influence their continued posting. 

Sorry, folks, but I don't believe for a nanosecond  that any poster, disagreement, or event "drove" Khun FH away.  That's pure conjecture which I feel in inappropriate (if one heard that directly from Khun FH, it'd hardly be tactful to repeat his private comments here and, if one hasn't heard from him directly, then what's the point of guessing and/or treating one's guess like it's fact?).

Having appreciated his posting efforts over the years and having actually met our fellow poster from Bangkok, I wish him well whatever he's doing (or not doing).

That's bad news unfortunate.

The board's second most prolific poster & almost certainly the most prolific over the last 3 years has left.  Not only that, but his input has been mainly of interesting high quality material.

Hopefully he will reverse the decision, but to be reclassified as retired must have been a deliberate request on his part.  Although I would very much like to know why, I'm not going to start speculating here.

Finally, thank you Fountainhall for your excellent input to this forum.

It's said sometimes in sporting, musical or theatrical circles, to take just three professions, that a person should time his retirement carefully. So for example in the field of sport, folk are wondering when Roger Federer, the brilliant Swiss tennis player will retire. Will he retire whilst his aura of invincibility is intact? Or perhaps leave it a little longer by which time the 'legend' is starting to lose its lustre. These kinds of forums are a bit like that; unfortunately few leave at the time of their choosing so as to leave a lingering sense of regret in those that remain. (Alas, some much-loved posters pass away; whilst some are booted out by management, often after a career of disruption marred by deleted posts and warnings from the mods). The subject of this thread has left of his own volition, leaving us forlornly hoping for more; I certainly put myself in that category. That's that. . .

Did he say anywhere that he is going to retire from the forum? Did someone call or email to ask him?

Maybe his is just on holiday (optimistic thought) or sick in hospital (pessimistic thought).

Thanks for that, Christian....some reasonable questions without taking further leaps of guessing or public divulging of private communications.

I've had some contact with him about the conjectures posted here.  But, no, since I know and respect him, I'm not about to reveal private communications without his permission.  He'll do that if and when he chooses to do so. 

Stopping posting of his own choice for whatever reason is one thing ( sorry to see him go if that's the case) but if as it's claimed he's "retiring" I'm concerned  - as does that mean we all now have to have a whip round and buy him a gold clock and throw him a "all the best, enjoy your retirement" party - and if so fair enough I guess, but lets get down to the important details therein then - so, will there be cake ??  :-)

Fountainhall was a great poster and contributor to the site. His decision to retire is a sad one for all of us. He always had great information and was informative on a wide variety of subjects. He will be missed! I hope he decides one day to return.

My sentiments exactly! Well put, Michael.

Fountainhall has requested that people not speculate about his decision to not post. He also asked me to post a Private Message that he sent to me:

From Fountainhall:

Sent 18 August 2013 - 01:39 AM

Scooby, I have decided to cease being a member of gaythailand. Please delete my membership at the earliest opportunity.

I send you all best wishes for the site and its further development. I have enjoyed being part of it for more than 7 years, but it is now time for me to devote more time to other activites.

Please do not respond. I will not log-in again. Thank you

In order to avoid causing other issues, this thread is now closed.