TotallyOz

Diet Coke Disappearing from Thailand

I think this might be a conspiracy. But, all of the diet cokes in Bangkok are disappearing. None have been available at the 7-11's or Family Marts for 2 weeks. Normally, they always have them. Today, the boys went to Siam Paragon and the grocery store on the bottom level. It too is sold out.

Has the bottling company here stopped producing them?

I suppose I never understood the addiction to Diet Coke?  I often go to dinner with friends in US where we have some good wines but one friend always must have a DC to ruin an otherwise fine meal.

I would say the reverse. I do not like wine and would never pollute a meal with it. But, I know many are different and have different tastes.

I like the taste of Diet Coke but it is to each his own. That is why Heinz makes 57 varieties. :)

As a diet coke drinker I had to adapt too and Coke Zero is usually given as basically the same thing ( just no caffeine I think is the only difference) but as that's a minimal difference ( to me anyway) it is sa close to diet coke to be almost indistinguishable thankfully.  

My guess is it's just a temporary supply issue. Does anyone really think the Coca-Cola corporation is going to let go of an entire country?

Most folks tell me there's not a lot of difference (taste-wise, anyway) between Diet Coke and Coke Zero, but after a side-by-side comparison I had a slight preference for Coke Zero, so I have that when it's available. I agree that water's best for my system overall, but sodas are nice every so often. For those of us who try to stay hydrated it's worth noting that coffee, tea and sodas are actually diuretics that cause the body to dump more H2O than drinking water does. Granted, diet sodas contain artificial sweeteners and other chemicals, but for those watching their glucose levels they're an attractive option when water is the only other choice.

BTW, both Diet Coke and Coke Zero contain caffeine.

020314CokeZero-W_zps42f917c6.jpg

I would say the reverse. I do not like wine and would never pollute  meal with it. But, I know many are different and have different tastes.

I like the taste of Diet Coke but it is to each his own. That is why Heinz makes 57 varieties. :)

Dear God, even Jesus knew better and  turned water into wine! 

My friends who enjoy Diet Coke are sugar addicts thus diet drinks are one way to have your sugar and drink it too.

As you say, each to his own taste but it is bad for your teeth as is wine!

Dear God, even Jesus knew better and  turned water into wine! 

My friends who enjoy Diet Coke are sugar addicts thus diet drinks are one way to have your sugar and drink it too.

As you say, each to his own taste but it is bad for your teeth as is wine!

Interesting. I was just watching Bill Maher and his guest was Robert Lustig who is a pediatric endocrinologist and he talks about the evils of sugar. He basically said that 6-9 teaspoons per day is the max a person should have. If you read labels, that amount is easy to get really quick.

Growing up, my mother cooked cakes and deserts on Sunday. It was never a daily thing. Soft drinks were never in my home. We lived on a farm and ate lots of meats and veggies. Life has changed a great deal over the last 40 years but more and more people rely on eating out and fast food.

I do admit to loving sugar and it is defiantly an addiction. I have cut it out completely from my daily routine as much as possible. The boys and I are even cooking all of our own meals each day so we can see what goes into them. My only things I sway from this are 2 Diet Cokes per day and 1 or 2 Starbucks Coffees. Yes, I like the caffeine, but I think I like the sugar more. I do have a nice coffee machine I use for a few cups per day but my 2 diet cokes really were something I looked forward to.

BTW: you are referring to the old Jesus. The new one from the Bible belt will tell you wine is a sin. LOL But, don't worry, if you have a cute Thai boy with you, your sins are forgiven as you are doing good for the needy.

Guest anonone

I just have to know...with all this curfew and coup nonsense...has Michael at least been able to find Diet Coke?

Is there some conspiracy theory out there explaining the relationship between Diet Coke disappearing from Thailand and the following coup?

Surely these things cannot be related...?

Is there some conspiracy theory out there explaining the relationship between Diet Coke disappearing from Thailand and the following coup?

My god! I was thinking the same damn thing!

I love starbucks also.  The mango cheese cake is second to none and the coffee is good is if you know what to order.  Actually, there may be a connection between diet coke's disappearance and the coup.  Last time someone who came to power during the coup held all of a certain oil product off the market, got the government to limit imports and then when the price was high enough dumped it all on the market and made millions.  Maybe some general is going to do the same with diet coke. :rofl:  In Thailand no matter how insane, it may be true.

Guest travelerjim

Diet Coke seen....as of 3pm Monday afternoon :yahoo:

South Pattaya Tesco-Lotus on Sukhumvit/Theppsait.

2 cases diet coke in cases only section....

1 case on top shelf in water/sodas section...with individual cans too .

I messaged Michael...he has found some near him.

tj