Guest joeblo

Singapore

Guest joeblo

Just back from a visit to Singapore and was very surprised at how expensive that place is.  If you plan to go be sure to prepare yourself with two bags of gold.  One wont do it for you.  Hotels and restaurants are at least three time more expensive than Thailand.

The place is probably the cleanest place is SE Asia and I was told by a cabbie that there is almost no crime.  As he said: Clean and green describes the place very well.

Just back from a visit to Singapore and was very surprised at how expensive that place is.  If you plan to go be sure to prepare yourself with two bags of gold.  One wont do it for you.  Hotels and restaurants are at least three time more expensive than Thailand.

With just a little bit of advance research, this should surprise no one.  IMF figures show Singapore GDP per capita as the third highest in the world, after Qatar and Luxembourg.

This is a wealthy developed country, so expect to pay developed country prices.

Shows what a country can do with a good responsible government that does not impose excessive taxes.   I wish we could have something similar running the UK.

Shows what a country can do with a good responsible government that does not impose excessive taxes.   I wish we could have something similar running the UK.

Prosperity of Nordic countries shows that good responsible government can do the same with excessive taxes, it looks that not burden of taxation is important but how taxes are spent

Guest abang1961

Who better than a Singaporean to talk about Singapore?

It would be quite pointless to compare prices as Thailand and Singapore are as different as chalk and cheese.

I really dislike to admit it but yes, Singapore is not as inexpensive as Bangkok.

However not everything is sky-high as you can really find inexpensive places to eat/shop.

Small eateries flourish almost everywhere.

Furthermore, almost none of the boys/men here ask for gifts/remuneration/fee for sex.

Most of us are "adequately" educated and hold on to good day jobs.

And for the farangs who need decent conservation in English during dinner, you get plenty of "smart" people around.

Give and take a little, Singapore is still a pleasant place for a short visit.

Furthermore, almost none of the boys/men here ask for gifts/remuneration/fee for sex.

Most of us are "adequately" educated and hold on to good day jobs.

I'm not in position to question what you said but I suspect your view is overoptimistic on both accounts.

I know you guys eliminated chewing gum  but eliminating money for sex exchange  would be great feast by every mean.

And like everywhere it must be many people  who are either not that educated and their day jobs are not that good paying, somebody sweeps your streets, ,cleans your lavatories and serves food in all those cheap eateries you mentioned.

In every reach country without much of the safety net there are overlooked people who are barely scrapping by.

But  my comments are not to diminish impressive Singapore's achievements in 50 years of independence.

Guest abang1961

Vinapu  thank you for your comments.

If you do the chance to visit, or anyone from this forum, I will be most glad to show you around.

As for that statement of manual job workers in the cleaning and F & B industry, most of them aint Singaporeans but foreign imports.  I know it is sad but the sales assistants in most shops are either from China (as cooks and waiting staff), Philippines (there are tons of them in retail). Singaporeans especially the gay ones are now better-educated and have a better chance to work in IT, financial field... not forgetting the multitude in the education industry.

So do come/cum around... you stand a good chance having a GREAT time here (too!) 

We loved Singapore.  Yes, it is expensive, but they have a international range of quality food, a first class playhouse, a good museum that attacks excellent art exhibits, a good transportation system, a great airport hub to everywhere, they speak English, and they have reasonable taxi fares.  What more could anyone ask.  If you have the money to live there, I could think of few nicer places.

Guest abang1961

The public transport system here is one of the most efficient although everything stops at midnight (Cinderella?)

I have wealthier-than-thou friends from Thailand and Indonesia who come here just for the weekends.

Back in their homeland, their kids are chauffeured from point A to B.

But here in Singapore, they would gladly allow them to take the buses, subway without any reservations.

So come come monsieur, bienvenue...no I am not going to break out a song from Cabaret ...

In fact two years ago, an ex-but very prominent member wrote to me to stop my MTVs...

But then again, old habits are hard to break. :yahoo:

I visit Singapore each time I travel to Asia,  abang 1961 - thank you so much for showing me Singapore on my visit in 2011.

I love Asia and will travel there again and again - it is so different then Europe or North America. Life is so different.

People in some Asian countries are not wealthy but they are happy and enjoy the life - money does not bring happiness just comfort in the life.  abang 1961 - I'm happy to see you here. Thanks for the CD with pictures.

I have heard many good things about Singapore: "Prussia under palm trees", very high taxes for cars (and a good public transport system in exchange, for those who don't own a car), public whipping of people who throw cigarette butts on the floor (ok, I made that up). The only negative thing I can think of is laws regarding homosexuality and caning.

Singapore is on my list of countries to visit for a visa run, but first I have to find a way to stay there on less than 2000 THB per day.

Guest abang1961

Welcome to the board, Mario.

You see how wonderful this board has been.. old friends can converge here.

It brightens my day when an old (not age but long time) friend remembers me.

Mario, you are most welcome..... remember my g string at Sentosa?

Yes give and take a little, Singapore is very pleasant.

2000THB is about SGD 80???

Well, 2000 THB gets you quite a lot in Thailand ... if you lead a very frugal lifestyle and a limited budget,

. a room in Hotel Malaysia is about THB 900.. food don't cost more than THB 300 and transport is around THB 200,

you are still left with THB 600 for bars, saunas...

In Singapore, we do have 24-hr sauna that charges SGD 12 for a 12 hour stay.... a little discomfort because the cubicles are tiny but the (willing and no-charge) boys are aplenty!  Food at most hawker centres/air-conditioned food courts is at most SGD 5 to 6 per meal.   Public transport to various tourist attractions is capped at SGD2.... yes, the airport is linked to the city via MRT...So all in all, you may spend less than SGD 50 or THB 1000 if and only if, you want to SAVE..

PFC and all other potential visitors, do come here and let me be a gracious host... allow me to show you that sights and sites less travelled by a tourist in a package deal... the best yet inexpensive food is hidden along the streets of Geylang/Malay Village enclave..

Guest abang1961

Update on Singapore

A very large crowd of 26 000 participated in the Singapore's PINK DOT event yesterday.

I was there for the 6th times..every year in fact.

Yes a very strong turnout means that there is in fact, sufficient "boys" for you guys to "prey", I meant to say "play" with!

As it was customary, lots of hunky men (including me, the not hunky at all) decked out in our favourite colour - PINK.

The colour really compliments the tanned skin... most of us were in singlets and shorts... lots of hunk's cleavage, biceps and triceps, legs were seen.  

This year was all the more challenging as two religious (self-righteous) groups openly "declared" war on us.  Their plans were muted by the "higher" ministers of their religions.  God forbids them and instead of a head-on collision, none were seen near the venue.

By the way, is Bangkok annual Pride still happening? 

I remembered going there in its first and second year, some 10 years ago....

I have heard many good things about Singapore: "Prussia under palm trees", very high taxes for cars (and a good public transport system in exchange, for those who don't own a car), public whipping of people who throw cigarette butts on the floor (ok, I made that up). The only negative thing I can think of is laws regarding homosexuality and caning.

Singapore is on my list of countries to visit for a visa run, but first I have to find a way to stay there on less than 2000 THB per day.

I know you did not mean this as a joke, but sometimes you have have the ability to really make me laugh.  Don't take this as a criticism.  I actually respect your frugality, and understand the need for it when one is on a limited budget.  I also admire how you travel and see so much (I do look at your blog), but sometimes, I sort of know what you are going to say before you say it and it does give me a laugh.

Back many years ago when they allowed me to do back to back 30 day tourist visas to no end, I visited Singapore about 8 times. I thoroughly enjoyed it. I would usually only stay for 3 days but I always had great food and found the city very safe and comfortable. The prices were high but it is an amazing city with so many things to see and do. At the time, I was riding my bicycle a lot and I found there were vast amounts of bike trains in and around Singapore. I felt very safe on a bicycle there. I do not feel that safe in Bangkok. :)

I was always fascinated with the city as I had several friends in NYC from there and they sought Asylum in USA based on being gay and they received it and now are US citizens. Since then, (many many years ago) I had always wanted to visit Singapore and when I did I really enjoyed it.

Guest abang1961

This is for Michael and all the wonderful people on this board...

Just like Shirley Bassey's song ...

The minute you walked in the joint
I could see you were a man of distinction, a real big spender
Good looking, so refined
Say, wouldn't you like to know what's going on in my mind?

So let me get right to the point
I don't pop my cork for every man I see
Hey big spender!
Spend a little time with me

Wouldn't you like to have fun, fun, fun?
How's about a few laughs, laughs?
I could show you a good time
Let me show you a good time

Thank you for all your likes and praises about this "Little Red Dot"..

If you are planning to visit Singapore, do drop me an email/message and I shall be your guide...and yes, let me show you a good time ....

Did you take your bicycle from Thailand to Singapore?

Actually, I was looking for a Cannondale in Bangkok and they didn't have the size I wanted. They were owned by the same people as in Singapore and they said they could have it shipped over. I told them I needed to do a visa run anyway and I flew to Singapore to test the bike and bought the bike.

Singapore is a very friendly bike city. Much like Los Angeles. And, on my trip to NYC this year, I noticed more bikes in NYC than I ever have seen in the past. The world is riding more and more.

Guest abang1961

Bump up this Singapore thread.

For the past two consecutive weekends, I was at the Marina Bay Sands-Gardens by the Bay-Marina Barrage area. This is an oasis in the midst of a skyline of skyscrapers.  Build entirely on reclaimed land, it houses some of the world's most interesting species of desert and wet vegetation in 2 separate domes.  Of course, it is a man-made effort to bridge the garden and the city.

If you do come to Singapore, allow me to accompany you there...we could have a late afternoon Champagne picnic..cardonnay will do too...

http://www.gardensbythebay.com.sg/en/home.html

I really enjoyed my time in Singapore last November...so much so that I am headed back there for several days on the way to Indonesia in October. Hoping to see more of the gay scene this time around. I really liked Gardens by the Bay. The night time light show was very cool.

Certainly home to some of the best looking men anywhere. Too bad about the humidity though! I post some pics from the dragon boats races last year. So many hot uni boys!

http://www.gaythailand.com/forums/topic/9307-singapore-dragon-boat-racing/

PFC and all other potential visitors, do come here and let me be a gracious host... allow me to show you that sights and sites less travelled by a tourist in a package deal... the best yet inexpensive food is hidden along the streets of Geylang/Malay Village enclave..

I would like to thank abang1961 for his invitation and being my host. Great service (picking up at airport, providing a stored value card for public transport). I had a good time sightseeing in Singpore (03.-07.10.2014) within my budget (100 Euro = 162 SGD = 4100 THB for the entire time). I hope to see you again, either in Singapore (there are places left I would like to visit) or in Thailand.

Singapore is a really nice friendly place to visit and need not be expensive.

I stay in Geylang Lorong 18 when I go for a weekend away from Thailand its just a short taxi ride from the airport (Singapore $25) and I stay in one of the Frangrance Hotels. (Singapore $55)

Geylang has some great little bars and food courts where you can get local food from around ($3) for a meal or for people with Asian food phobias there is a McDonanlds close by.

Geyland is on The MRT circuit and it is easy to get around. The last time I visited I took the MRT to Marina Square and then walked the short distance to The Singapore Flyer.

(I had my UK diving licence with me for proof of age and got to go on the Wheel as a senior (only $30) The views of the City are awesome.

There are some nice restaurants around Marina Square too.

On my last visit for my 2 night stay (3days) I reckon in total I spent around £130.00 (about 6500 THB) so comparible with a budget stay in Thailand. Hope this is of some help to someone.

On my last visit for my 2 night stay (3days) I reckon in total I spent around £130.00 (about 6500 THB) so comparible with a budget stay in Thailand. Hope this is of some help to someone.

Is this excluding the hotel cost or is it living very economically?