Bravo

1st time in bkk! suggestions on where to stay/things to do

Sry guys I know this topic has been done to death.. but it's my first time to bangkok, staying about 4 days and I'm considering where to stay.. i should stay around the silom area right? i usually dun really have a budget when on a holiday as i don't travel often and want to enjoy, but not sure if the nice hotels would allow visitors to stay overnight... on the other hand not sure what the gay hotels such as babylon are like..

also I'm looking forward to going to hero/arena/senso massage nv really had one before haha.. any other recommendations?

as for night clubs I'm thinking of going dj station..

as i'm only around for 4 day, what are the must see must do in terms of gay stuff and tourist attractions in general? thanks so much for ur help!

btw im a 20+ solo traveller.. need a break from school sheesh..

No need to apologise.  Hotels change, so it's good to discuss the topic periodically.

If you're interested in the gay scene, Silom is the place to stay.

I usually stay at the Om Yim, with is a a budget gay option.   Rooms are usually just over 1000 baht.  It's easily accessible as it is right next to Chong Nonsi Skytrain and is a 15 minute walk to the gay bars.

The only other Bangkok hotel I tried was The Rose (8 years ago!), which was nearer to the gay bars and I think it's usually priced between 1500 and 2000 baht. 

Both had no problems with bringing guests to my room.

No doubt other members can update with some recommendations (please include prices). 

Actually, someday we might be better off splitting hotel recommendation threads by budget.   

For example anyone usually spending 1000~1500 isn't going to be interested in somewhere costing 6000. 

They are most likely not going to be interested in a 600 baht room either, considering the standard would usually be very compromised at that price.   

Guest naughtybutnice

The tourist area I always flag as a "Don't miss" for visitors is Chinatown.

I can't suggest any hotels other than the high end market ones as they are the ones our clients generally prefer. I have a home in Bangkok so never use Bangkok hotels myself.

I second  Om Yim  / 1000 baht /  at lower end and Tarntawan / 2000 baht / a bit more classy, other budget option is Nantra Silom in Silom soi 8 / 1000 baht / and BBB Inn / 1320 baht / - where not only you will not have problem with visitors but you don't need any as they have quite a few in-house massage boys, skilled and willing.

Other than Hero /Arena/ Senso I'd recommend Adonis and Fan Club in Convent and  Banana Club  in the same soi where Hero is as well as both Bonny and Bangkok Massage in soi Twilight where most go-go bars are located. Walking along Silom as plenty massage shops are presenting their boys outside and  you are spoiled for  a choice

make sure you visit some Go-go bars in  soi Twilight, you have 7 to choose from as well as Jupiter across the street and Screwboys in Patpong itself. Don't miss Tawan if you are into muscle and I guess you are.

As for touristy stuff Grand Palace and Vinamek with vincinities are a must, get there by the boat from Saphan Taksin BTS  / elevater rail  /station, closer to Silom you have Red Cross Snake farm across from BBB INN, one of two such institutions in the world, 2 different shows daily, save a ticket.

If you are into shopping, upscale countless malls along Sukhumvit stretch of BTS between Siam and Asok, Chatuchak market on weekends only and street markets along Silom and in Patpong at night but really whole Bangkok is one huge shopping center.

For fun try fish massage either in Patpong 1 or Suriwong, 150 baht / 15 mins

Other questions ask and we will chip in.

wow om him seems like a great place.. i'll give it a try next time.. i was looking through forums in both my local country and here and i decided to book le meridian.. i have about 200 use of agoda points and i ended up paying almost nothing for 3 nights haha..

if i can't visit all the massage places, what's the priority first? hero and what else haha.. same for the bars..

any comments on dj station?

i'm so excited, flying off next friday!

if i can't visit all the massage places, what's the priority first? hero and what else haha.. same for the bars..

I always start with Arena but you go to Hero as it looks your heart is already on it and you will not regret

As for bars I'd start with Dreamboys, last time I was there in Nov 2013 out of whole selection it was only one boy I wouldn't off and he was offed very soon so you should find somebody you like

I second  Om Yim  / 1000 baht /  at lower end and Tarntawan / 2000 baht / a bit more classy, other budget option is Nantra Silom in Silom soi 8 / 1000 baht / and BBB Inn / 1320 baht / - where not only you will not have problem with visitors but you don't need any as they have quite a few in-house massage boys, skilled and willing.

Thanks for the extra suggestions.  Whilst I'm happy to continue staying at the Om Yim, back up options are always good.

The location of Nantra  looks good. 

Are Nantra OK with joiners & at no extra charge?

Is there any room safe?

On Trip Advisor, the average scores are:

Tarntawan 4.5 (245 reviews)

Om Yim 4 stars (65 reviews)

Nantra Silom 3.5 (73 reviews)

BBB 3 (9 reviews, 2 of which would give me serious doubts)

No problem and no charge  for joiners at Nantra Silom , safes on reception.

I personally don't check reviews on Trip Advisor so can't relate.

While BBB Inn is not for everybody I like it big time for fun factor and location, no need to cross street to go to soi Twilight and it's joys. Massage boys  available 7\24 if one feels lonely or cold or whatever, rooms may be tired but they are clean and  a bit spacier than ones at Om Yim. Considering that it doubles as short time hotel is also surprisingly quiet, I usually stay there 2-3 nights  at beginning and at end of trip / I change  hotels every 2- 3 days  wherever I am /   

Tarntawan is more upscale than others mentioned but also twice as costly, I'm not big fan of overspending on taxis and hotels when travelling but make exception for Tarntawan for it's gay friendliness. 

Overall of 4 places you mentioned above Om Yim is the best value for money , Malaysia  even better but a bit too far

When I've passed Om Yim on the Skytrain, it looks as if there is a graveyard right behind it. Doesn't that spook Thai 'visitors'?

this would explain why both 'visitors" I had there last Nov turned to be duds, need to repeat an experiment coming Dec and than we can attempt to construct some theory

But really I guess visiting boys are busy sizing bulge of your wallet and even don't notice graveyard 

No problem and no charge  for joiners at Nantra Silom , safes on reception.

Safes on reception completely kills it for me.  

If entertaining an overnight guest, I don't want to be walking downstairs with passport, camera, phone, tablet and wallet. 

Not just that, I sleep more soundly at night if the safe is in the same room as me.

Guess they will lose other customers for the same reason and it's a false economy, considering room safes cost about 1500 baht.

By end of this year I will be able to update you  if they installed safes in the rooms, they may come to the same idea about false economy.

For me it's non issue and if pressed I have more confidence in reception safes than room ones for no particular  reason since I never had anything stolen from the room anywhere although I know unfortunates who  had.

For me it's non issue and if pressed I have more confidence in reception safes than room ones for no particular  reason since I never had anything stolen from the room anywhere although I know unfortunates who  had.

Which hotels were these thefts from? 

For me, the ideal situation would be a room safe, fixed down by 8mm bolts which go all the way through the wall, with keypad lock AND a padlock so you can add your own lock.  I have never seen this on offer.

I find G.O.D. later at night more interesting at times.

Is GOD open again, last time I was there ( beginning of August) it had been closed by those who must be obeyed, with all sorts of stories floating around as to why, but it was early days then when the Army were stamping their authority about the place so maybe things have changed and those how needed looked after have been - so can anyone confirm is GOD back open again or not ?? 

Which hotels were these thefts from? 

For me, the ideal situation would be a room safe, fixed down by 8mm bolts which go all the way through the wall, with keypad lock AND a padlock so you can add your own lock.  I have never seen this on offer.

Not in Thailand, in fact I don't know anybody who had things stolen from hotel room anywhere in East and South-East Asia,

Speaking about padlock - I always lock my suitcase with seriously looking padlock, not that I keep anything precious inside but I guess it shows to staff and visitors  I'm serious about my belongings.

For me a hotel room safe is essential for safeguarding my passport, money, and ipad. Mind you have to remember to lock it. In January i slept all night in the Ambiance with a boy with the safe door wide open. I only noticed as i was preparing to leave the room in the morning and the boy had left earlier. Luckily there was nothing missing - inside was about 15000 baht plus several hundred pounds. He was from GR so tracing him would have been difficult.

Guest LoveThailand

Passport, cash and credit cards are what I am most afraid of losing/getting stolen. So I prefer a reception safe. Will take my cash "alowance" daily and cards to use at ATM daily - with cards going back to the safe after use/.

Laptop, camera etc - I assume a risk of them being stolen from an average hotel in Thailand is rather low.

Speaking about padlock - I always lock my suitcase with seriously looking padlock, not that I keep anything precious inside but I guess it shows to staff and visitors  I'm serious about my belongings.

A serious padlock might also show the staff and visitors that you are a high roller or maybe a gem dealer and a worthy target for theft?  :o

I ran a poll a few years back and I think something like 97% of people had never had anything stolen from a safe and didn't know anyone who had either.

I still prefer room safes to reception safes. Someone will have a spare key, which might be kept in reception. So you are relying on trust for that.  

I expect 99.9% of them are reliable, but still prefer the safe to be in my room when I am sleeping.